PDA

View Full Version : It was a good Fathers Day until.......

cjtpilot
06-21-2015, 10:08 PM
So is this as bad as I think??? The prop didn't look hit or feel hit. Can the strut get bent like this without damaging the shaft or am I buying a new shaft also? Can the strut be fixed?

leetudor
06-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Strut can be bent and not the shaft. You could pull the shaft and roll it on a glass top to see if it wobbles.

cjtpilot
06-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Thats good to hear, I can't believe the prop isn't all jacked up also.

docdrs
06-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Just check the alignment that will tell you if the shaft is bent or if just out of alignment. You would need to remove the shaft and coupler to roll it on a table. Alignment check is way easier. .02

Aaron187
06-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Mine looked similar but my prop was bent out of heck. I had to replace shaft and coupling. Look at the coupling it might get warn out since the shaft is not going straight into the coupling. Agree with other roll the shaft also look at the shaft where the prop is attached. Good luck.

cjtpilot
06-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Update......... Shaft is fine, but strut is bent. Pulled it off last night. So can the struts be straightened? Would a prop shop be able to do it?

wotan2525
06-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Update......... Shaft is fine, but strut is bent. Pulled it off last night. So can the struts be straightened? Would a prop shop be able to do it?

My prop shop straightens them (but I don't know if all of them do.) It's definitely cheaper to have it straightened rather than replaced. I'd have new bearings installed as long as you're taking it out.

docdrs
06-26-2015, 08:14 AM
My prop shop straightens them (but I don't know if all of them do.) It's definitely cheaper to have it straightened rather than replaced. I'd have new bearings installed as long as you're taking it out.
I am curious about this .... can the get the perfectly straight, i have a shaft that is 3 thou out

cjtpilot
06-26-2015, 08:23 AM
The shaft I wouldn't try to straighten, too hard of metal to not have fatigue damage. However the strut is the same material as a prop and they work miracles on props.
I am curious about this .... can the get the perfectly straight, i have a shaft that is 3 thou out

wotan2525
06-26-2015, 08:44 AM

I have a shop in my town that is actually the original OEM on many of the prop shafts, couplers and struts. I had them check my shaft and it was 5 thou out and he said that was within spec. They did balance it for me, though. I think it cost $20 and they did it while I waited. http://www.croixgear.com/

docdrs
06-29-2015, 08:47 PM
I have a shop in my town that is actually the original OEM on many of the prop shafts, couplers and struts. I had them check my shaft and it was 5 thou out and he said that was within spec. They did balance it for me, though. I think it cost $20 and they did it while I waited. http://www.croixgear.com/

Balance a shaft????? thats hard to visualize for at least me . I guess all I know is that with a bent shaft you can never get the alignment true ( and it will be acentric) , which according to OJ , they want it with in 3 thou of true , to prevent premature dripless seal failure....... once i bought a new shaft I had no issue getting it within a thou of alignment. It makes me feel better.

chris young
06-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Keith Fenner at Turn Wright Machine Works (awesome videos on how to lap fit a prop etc here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozh4JjoWm4) claims that he can heat straighten a shaft, and does so when he makes a shaft from scratch. He won't tell you how, but I believe him when he says he can.

Although I guess this isn't the same as balancing, not sure how you would do that.