PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge not working

ccain2285
06-22-2015, 02:11 PM
fuel gauge not working what could be the problem 89 saltare.

wotan2525
06-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Almost always a problem with the sender. There are two wires that connect to it (one is a ground) and it's right below your ski locker. Pull the ski locker out and you should be able to check it. I believe if you connect the + wire to ground, the gauge should read full. New senders are cheap and it's easy to replace once you have the ski locker out of the way.

chris young
06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Does it move at all when you turn the key on? You can refer to the diagram I made that is very basic and generic to see how it should be connected. It's here;

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16365-Generic-wiring-diagram&highlight=wiring+diagram

If the gauge is completely dead (ie it doesn't move) you should check for power at the gauge. If you have power at the gauge, but it doesn't move when you turn the key on, I'd guess the gauge is most likely at fault, but as Wotan said, most likely cause is the sender. Mine wasn't working after I pulled the tank, and I knew the wiring was good so I figured I'd replace the sender when I got around to it but it started working on it's own so I haven't bothered. In my case I think the float got stuck while the tank was out and it just took a full tank of gas and some bouncing around on the water to get it going again.

Cusefan78
06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
If you have to change the sender get a probe style from centroid. They are awesome. No more bouncing needle you'll never have to worry about a stuck float again. I changed mine 2 years ago and I'm ordering one for my bass boat this week.