PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Supra Comp TS6m - first boat!

Suprafan!
06-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Put a deposit down on a 1990 Supra Comp TS6m. This will be my first boat. Boat looks to be solid. Going back for a second look this morning. Single owner. 570 hrs. Kept on a lift in a covered boathouse as the story goes. Dealer took it on trade last fall. They serviced it and winterized it. Straightened and or rebalanced the prop shaft through one of their vendor/partners. They seem to concentrate on much bigger boats what I would call higher end cruisers. So this boat is kind of an odd duck for them.

Anyhow I've been reading up on Comps here. Great info on what to look for when buying used: soft spots in fooring/stringers/engine mount/stress cracks/transom... I'll be taking a closer look for all of these potential issues this morning.

Hull and everything on the exterior looks solid. Mostly concerned about floor and stringers. Hopefully they won't be soft! Not sure I'm up for replacing/doing work like this.

In general do you guys think this is a good choice for my family we have 2 boys 13 and 15 with skiing and wake boarding in their noggins! They're avid snowboarders. I understand this is a ski boat and other models are better for wake boarding but this is in the price range. 5k

Hoping to get a few opinions. Sry for the length of th post!

Jetlink
06-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Ha, that boat is right around the corner from me and behind my old shop I used to have. I have found the Comp to be a great entry level watersports boat, the only thing I haven't tried with mine is surfing and I never will try with my boat. I have gotten a decent wakeboarding wake behind it, same for wake skating but it is really best at skiing wakes.

Check the stringers for rot, take it for a water run and shake it down good. Rudder should be super easy to turn by hand, like 2 fingers at speed. Listen for any weird noises that you might not be familiar with.

I'd try and knock some more off the price for the torn interior too...

foxriverat
06-23-2015, 02:54 PM
If your in IL this would be a nice one to check out. Around the same price $6000 unless you got them down from the $5995 they were asking. Plus tax if its a dealer. Has a tower and a nicer interior. You would still have to check for soft spots. You said you put deposit down already though. http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/boa/5084929032.html

Salty87
06-23-2015, 07:06 PM
An outfit like that should be aware of moisture meter testing. Cruisers are also susceptible to water intrusion. I've never used one but they probably have.

$5k budget is a tough one. 80s and early 90s Supras weren't built to last forever. It's the rare one that doesn't have wet foam. Spending a few k more on a rebuilt one, if any are around, would be worth looking looking into. As to a Comp, it'll be pretty crowded with you and your kids + boards if there's no tower. Kids normally want to bring friends, too.

Jetlink
06-23-2015, 11:54 PM
I think I ended up talking him out of this particular boat. The marina wouldn't even let him test drive it. "We'll fire it up on the trailer but no test drives." is what they told him. That's pretty shady if you ask me, who buys a car/motorcycle/boat or anything else for that matter without taking it for a spin?

cjtpilot
06-24-2015, 08:40 AM
No water test???? THAT INSANE!!! Good to know that about that dealer.
I think I ended up talking him out of this particular boat. The marina wouldn't even let him test drive it. "We'll fire it up on the trailer but no test drives." is what they told him. That's pretty shady if you ask me, who buys a car/motorcycle/boat or anything else for that matter without taking it for a spin?

Suprafan!
06-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great input! Yes, Jetlink confirmed my suspicions and I told the dealer this was more of a project than I was willing to take on. Though from what you guys have shared here it looks like a cool thing to tackle!

Basically, it looks like the boat was really well cared for but they hit something hard enough to bend the prop shaft and pop the left glass seam on the interior of the shaft mount. Hope this makes sense. My thought, this kind of repair is probably a tough one even for a pro.

Foxriverat thanks for the lead!!! I'm going to look into this one!

BigCity444
06-24-2015, 02:44 PM
There are a few comps for sale in area. This one peeks my interest; maybe I'm biased with the color combo. '92 Comp http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/5088739083.html

Jetlink
06-24-2015, 03:15 PM
There are a few comps for sale in area. This one peeks my interest; maybe I'm biased with the color combo. '92 Comp http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/5088739083.html

It takes a very confident man to "rock" a pink boat.

Suprafan!
06-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Ha! Yeah, told my boys I wasn't sure I could get used to that! Figured that would be on the short list of things to address. Or I was thinking I could get a white sport coat push the sleeves up and get some vintage Vaurnet's & rock the Miami Vice.

Suprafan!
06-24-2015, 04:19 PM
A 92 won't have wood stringers correct?

cjtpilot
06-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Correct, remember curved windshield is good!
A 92 won't have wood stringers correct?

BigCity444
06-25-2015, 01:35 PM
It takes a very confident man to "rock" a pink boat.

All depends on the way you wear your mustache.

UKandH
06-26-2015, 02:11 AM
All depends on the way you wear your mustache.

Or your tightly fitting black leather pants, jacket and cap :D

Suprafan!
06-26-2015, 09:44 PM
So, if I find a 92 do I still need to check the stringers, I'm assuming the answer is yes. What else should I check for this model year?

NoWake
06-27-2015, 07:18 AM
It may have a Pro-Tec ignition. They are no longer available and have played out to fail on occasion. Really no big deal and lots of options out there to replace between 300 and 500 dollars. I'm thinking the Miami vice thing would be awesome

Suprafan!
06-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Good to know about the Pro-Tec ignition. Thanks!

Suprafan!
06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Ok gentlemen. I am now the proud owner of a 1992 Mariah!

NoWake
06-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Congratulations! Great family boat

Jetlink
06-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Pics or it didn't happen. Kidding, about that. Congrats and welcome! Where do you plan to boat?

Suprafan!
06-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Ok. Here's a teaser. I'll post better pics soon.

As for where we'll be probably on Fox Lake & the Fox River but thinking about taking it up to 3 Lakes WI. On occasion. We have friends w/a place up there. Anybody know anything about invasive species between IL & WI? Or in general? I understand a general rule up at 3Lakes is the boat has to be out of the water for 5 days before putting it in the water.

jasun
07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Good Choice! You will love it! were you able to get out on it this weekend?

flipz96
07-06-2015, 09:37 AM

Congrats! Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Suprafan!
07-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Put my new '92 Mariah in the water this weekend! Dragged it 6 hrs up to the Northwoods. Trailered great. Awesome time! Ran like a top after I dropped a new battery in it.

Got up on a wakeboard for the first time. After a few attempts my wife was able to get up as well. The boys did great... Pro's comparatively. Their snowbarding skills translated nicely.

Drove home in the rain yesterday afternoon. No cover, which I'm bummed about. However I covered the seats with garbage bags and I'm about to vacuum up the deck now. Any suggestions on what else I can do to dry it out? Or where to get a travel cover? Surely I'm not the only guy to get stuck in a rainstorm on the road.

BigCity444
07-07-2015, 04:59 PM
I have the same model also a 92. Ironically I'm also from the northwoods of WI. I picked up a cover for a 21ssv and it fit like a glove. I personally don't trailer with a cover, recently towed mine from McHenry to Phoenix. I feel that the rubbing of the cover against the hull leaves marks.

As for drying it out; I take out both drain plugs middle and rear and pop the plastic cover over the bilge, remove all the seat cushions and let them dry inside, lastly lift the walk through and have it rest on the spring. I feel that this airs out the boat. In the back there is a teak step between the middle seats which I also remove. Yes this does take a bit of time but your dealing with a 23 year old boat. Congrats!

Suprafan!
07-07-2015, 10:30 PM
BigCity444, just took the better part of the day, with the wet vac, a bunch of towels & rags drying and cleaning up. The boats looking pretty sharp at this point. Still a bit damp and the foam in the cushions is defiantly wet. Does that ever dry out? Anyhow, I left the seats propped up and threw the cover on for the night. I'll open it all up again in the morning. I'm gonna look into that 21 SSV cover. It sounds promising. Thanks!

jasun
07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
If you are ever around NE Indiana, there is a local guy here who makes custom covers.

Got mine for right at $550. Took the boat to him and about 3 days later Had me a new cover and poles.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps9d76127b.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps9d76127b.jpg.html)