PDA

View Full Version : supra saltare with bad stringer

ccain2285
06-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Well guys just alittle info , and thoughtto help me out. Went to check out a 89 saltareand it has 354 hrs great shape interior perfect, exterior needs buffing, and starts right up no problems. I did check the stringers 1 is bad the otheris fine the guys was asking 10000 but I got him down to 5500 with trailer. What do yall think should I get it for that price.

wotan2525
06-24-2015, 12:27 AM
No such thing as 1 bad stringer. If one is bad, they all need to be replaced.

$5500 for boat and trailer
$5000 - 7000 for stringers, floor, carpet, etc

You're at $10,500 - $12,500.

Worth it?

That's for you to decide.

Jetlink
06-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Well guys just alittle info , and thoughtto help me out. Went to check out a 89 saltareand it has 354 hrs great shape interior perfect, exterior needs buffing, and starts right up no problems. I did check the stringers 1 is bad the otheris fine the guys was asking 10000 but I got him down to 5500 with trailer. What do yall think should I get it for that price.

What's your budget? Like what Wotan said, there is no such thing as one bad stringer. All boats are going to be $10-12K at the lowest whether you pay it up front or draw it out over the years. You have to ask yourself, do you want to draw out the process or can you get it over with in one fell swoop?

Wulphie
06-24-2015, 06:06 AM
I agree with the above.

One other way to look at it is.

Do you really like that specific boat? If you do and you will honestly use it at least weekly for the next 5 years it would be worth buying and doing the work. That way you know what you have and will feel confident in the work you have done.

If you are not sure are kind of trying boating out to see if you like it or using it as a stepping stone to getting a newer boat than I would not even consider buying it. You will never get your time and money back out of the project. Just spend more money on a boat that doesn't need major repairs.

devovino
06-24-2015, 06:55 PM
No such thing as 1 bad stringer. If one is bad, they all need to be replaced.

$5500 for boat and trailer
$5000 - 7000 for stringers, floor, carpet, etc

You're at $10,500 - $12,500.

Worth it?

That's for you to decide.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a break down for those numbers? I have a Saltare, and like most on here have done or anticipate doing, will be a stringer job, but as mine sits its in pretty solid shape and have not taken the leap to do it yet. I am assuming the majority of that ballpark figure is the new stringers, fiberglass, and floor? IS this a safe ASSumption?

chris young
06-25-2015, 10:03 AM
In reply to the original post, it all depends on what you want. My boat is primarily a slalom tug on a small lake, so to have all the goodies and like new was not the point of buying the boat. I paid 2200, no trailer. In the 2+ years I've had it, I did a carb rebuild and wedge plate install, a raw water pump rebuild new cutlass bearings, and pulled the fuel tank to re-enforce the swim platform. Installed a new drivers seat. I've also installed a raw water filter and other bits of maintenance. I keep an eye on the stringers under the motor, and I know for a fact that the current floor is a floor installed over a rotten floor. Oh yeah and I bought a new prop because I was too stupid to notice that is was loose and lost it in front of the cottage.

One day I'm going to pull that floor an see what's what, but in the mean time, since I've done all the motor tuning and fixed up the bits that were critical, the boat has run and pulled like a champ. I think if you can get a Saltare with a trailer that is in the kind of shape you're talking about and you don't expect to get a brand new boat out of the deal, you should go for it. If the floors aren't soft, you've probably got years before you really need to think about stringers. The boat you're looking at is 5 years newer than mine.

We'd all like a new boat, but that costs, and for me, something to pull me for 2 sets a day when I'm at the cottage for 2200 plus some elbow grease and a few bucks was a good deal.

cadunkle
06-25-2015, 05:57 PM
$12.5k is about the price ceiling on these older Supras so I'd say he's fine. If he can DIY cut that stringer job price in half. I wouldn't have paid $5500 but I'm cheap and patient. It's not a crazy price if it doesn't need a ton of other work... But still while the engine is out I'd be resealing it and checking bearings, etc. probably measure taper and re-ring it just because the hassle is in pulling it. Interior may seem fine but be brittle or tear easily during removal/reinstall. Does hull need compound and polish or is it in excellent condition? Trailer condition, brakes, bearings, rust, paint, etc.? Too many variables without knowing more and seeing pics. I'd be at $2500, maybe bite for $3500 at most... And only if you're up for the joys of a stringer job.

Salty87
06-25-2015, 06:13 PM
$12.5k is pretty much the ceiling since v-drives aren't a heck of a lot above that...granted those are pretty beaten up v-drives. But, at the ceiling it would be expected that everything else would be in really good shape vs original vinyl. Knowing there's a rebuild on the horizon I'd try to drive the price lower too. Even DIY you're looking at around $3k just for the floor plus all of your time and sweat + a little blood. That puts you at $8500 with original seats (w/rotting bases), dirty/crusty engine in a freshly painted bilge, whatever attention the trailer needs....plus will you need a tower, etc?

Show some pics!

cadunkle
06-25-2015, 09:48 PM
I will say that with these old boats it's a labor of love. You don't buy one to restore becaues you want a cheap wake boat... You wait and find a good deal on one that is solid and will give at least a few years of good service before needing anything major. But really you only go all in if the love and appreciate the style and charm of a classic inboard. If that's not you, forget about this one and keep looking.

devovino
06-28-2015, 02:09 PM
$12.5k is pretty much the ceiling since v-drives aren't a heck of a lot above that...granted those are pretty beaten up v-drives. But, at the ceiling it would be expected that everything else would be in really good shape vs original vinyl. Knowing there's a rebuild on the horizon I'd try to drive the price lower too. Even DIY you're looking at around $3k just for the floor plus all of your time and sweat + a little blood. That puts you at $8500 with original seats (w/rotting bases), dirty/crusty engine in a freshly painted bilge, whatever attention the trailer needs....plus will you need a tower, etc?

Show some pics!

So a DIY'er were talking at best 3k for a stringer job, sounds like a project worth undertaking eventually. With my Saltare, I paid 3000.00 with the trailer and 350 hours on it, and the stringers were in "ok" shape, a few soft spots on the floor but I R&R those sections to essentially get some more life out of her. I have used her for 4 years now with just some routine maintenance, and upkeep. I did replace all the interior/seats/bases in the beginning as they were pretty shot.
Like most, spending 25k or better ( mostly waaaay better) did not make sense when I can realistically use it 3-4 months out of the year (comfortably) and at best get on the water 6-10 times in the summer if I am lucky. If I lived in AZ. might be a different story....