PDA

View Full Version : Oil question?

MDVols
06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Gonna change the Oil in the boat before we go on our houseboat trip this weekend. I was wondering if anyone is running Royal Purple or what they prefer and weight.

Zim
06-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Mobile 1 15W-40 is what I use, with a mobile 1 filter I can get on amazon for like 3 bucks as an "add on to purchase" deal. Wal-mart has the Mobile 1 for like 26 bucks. No reason to use anything synthetic, you should change your oil far before it would break down to the point that a synthetic is beneficial.

wotan2525
06-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Mobile 1 15W-40 is what I use, with a mobile 1 filter I can get on amazon for like 3 bucks as an "add on to purchase" deal. Wal-mart has the Mobile 1 for like 26 bucks. No reason to use anything synthetic, you should change your oil far before it would break down to the point that a synthetic is beneficial.

Hmmm..... what? No reason to use anything synthetic, but you use synthetic? :/

Zim
06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Hmmm..... what? No reason to use anything synthetic, but you use synthetic? :/

Pretty sure its a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic like royal purple is. Full synthetics tend to cost a lot more. A full synthetic won't hurt anything, just a waste of money IMO.

wotan2525
06-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Pretty sure its a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic like royal purple is. Full synthetics tend to cost a lot more. A full synthetic won't hurt anything, just a waste of money IMO.

Nope. Mobile 1 is a full synthetic. ;)

It is kind of the gold standard of full synthetics. Probably overkill for a boat that only gets 50-100 hours between oil changes but pretty cheap insurance.

cadunkle
06-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Anymore I gave up on different oil and go with 5w40 Rotella T6 for all my vehicles. If works well for the whole fleet and is $20/gal, occasionally cheaper, at Walmart. All oil changes get burned in the diesel truck. More convenient to just keep a few jugs of T6 in the cabinet than worry about different oils.

docdrs
06-25-2015, 10:21 PM
seriously , how many times have you heard of a problem because of a specific oil. It is usually because someone has never changed their oil, the filter gets plugged and the engine seizes. changing your oil and filter every 50 hours regardless of synthetic or regular rotella is going to be fine. NEGLECT is what causes problems. everything else is just a sales pitch
jmo

cadunkle
06-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Indeed, docdrs is right. Most important thing is a suitable weight for your bearing clearances and oil temperature/use and changing regularly. Generically any 5w40 or 15w40 is fine for boats. A 30wt should be fine for most engines too. I use T6 because it's easier. I need a diesel oil for my truck, and my bike is very finicky about oil. The engine doesn't care, but the clutch does. I suspect a synthetic that flows easier may be beneficial for the air cooled engine too. My choice of oil in my boat is mostly for convenience, and in the apst I've been happy running any given cheap 10w40 oil.

Filters matter more than oil IMO. Good filter manufacturers will be proud of their filters and publish, at least tell you if you ask, the absolute and/or nominal micron ratings.

Cusefan78
06-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Motorcraft filter is all I use. Cut open a fram filter and a motorcraft filter and you'll never use a fram one again. You also need oil that has zddp in it for all the ford pcm motors

michael hunter
06-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Check with Royal Purple to see what weight is best for your engine . Mobil 1 15w50 is the only weight that has the additives for both roller and flat cam engines.
Purolator plus is one of the best oil filters you can use.

cadunkle
06-26-2015, 02:40 PM
No special additives required for these low output engines with very mild cams.