PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plastic trim for a Mariah

lmnelson86
06-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Im 99.99% positive these will be impossible to find, so I have already begun to make a mold to re-create them. Any chance in the world this is a common trim piece/shape? Ill probably just stick with my new ones but I just had to ask. These pieces are for the access panels in the walk-through.

Sorry for the small pics, didn't feel like uploading them to photo bucket.

SquamInboards
06-26-2015, 09:59 AM
You're right, those will be hard to find unless you can find NOS parts from someone, or a parted-out boat.

I have a healthy spare parts bin for my boat with hard-to-find bits like hinges, a stereo-cover piece (it's a curved piece of tinted plexi on my boat), various other things.

flipz96
06-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Good to see back on here. I've been too busy with work. I'm hoping to finish up my dash panels this week. I'm curious... Are you making a plug, then mold, then part? Or are you making a dirty part and doing post finish work?

lmnelson86
06-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Good to see back on here. I've been too busy with work. I'm hoping to finish up my dash panels this week. I'm curious... Are you making a plug, then mold, then part? Or are you making a dirty part and doing post finish work?

I've been slammed as well, just dropped the boat in yesterday and it rips! Lots of work left to do.

I was considering making a plug, mold, then part and I may still do so. But for now I think I am just going to make a dirty part and sand afterwards. It's a pretty simple piece so not too much sanding will be required.

I was cleaning the garage and grabbed those trim pieces and was just bored, grabbed some scrap plywood and started brainstorming to see what I could come up with. I may start over with a male mold to make a dirty part, that would actually be a lot easier.

flipz96
06-27-2015, 07:22 AM
I may start over with a male mold to make a dirty part, that would actually be a lot easier.

Male temp mold would definitely a lot easier and it would minimize material. The only benefit of doing a plug/mold/part is if you are going into production for pulling multiple parts (which I'm sure many people on here wouldn't mind buying them off you). Glad to hear you got it running. I'm still rewiring everything. I'm switching out my gauges and changing out the push button/breakers to separate rocker switches and breakers. I'm having the same feeling two weeks into the stringer restoration "what did i get my self in to?"! Lol.

lmnelson86
06-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Male temp mold would definitely a lot easier and it would minimize material. The only benefit of doing a plug/mold/part is if you are going into production for pulling multiple parts (which I'm sure many people on here wouldn't mind buying them off you). Glad to hear you got it running. I'm still rewiring everything. I'm switching out my gauges and changing out the push button/breakers to separate rocker switches and breakers. I'm having the same feeling two weeks into the stringer restoration "what did i get my self in to?"! Lol.

Haha, yea I was wondering what I got myself into as well!! I agree a male mold will be easier, I'll likely do that. I am going to attempt the plug/mold/part just to learn. It's a very basic part, relatively unimportant so why not give it a whirl. Besides, it's a good excuse to drink beer. And I love beer.

Can't wait to see your boat

And if anyone is interested in these parts...I'm all ears. Safe boating to all!