PDA

View Full Version : Neutral switch

Lakebum08
06-26-2015, 12:36 AM
I have an 87' Supra Sunsport that I can't get to crank. It's been doing fine all year but recently it's been picky about when I have the disengaging lever pulled out. Not it won't crank at all. Anybody know about the system and were I should start looking for a problem?

UKandH
06-26-2015, 02:23 AM
Depending on the gearbox, mine is mounted on the top of the gearbox. 2 wires directly mounted to screw tabs.....you cant miss it :P

wotan2525
06-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Depending on the gearbox, mine is mounted on the top of the gearbox. 2 wires directly mounted to screw tabs.....you cant miss it :P

It's the only plug going into your gear box. You can just short it out to test if it's bad. There is also some adjustment on your shift cable. You can disconnect that from the transmission and monkey with the shift lever to see if it's being caught between gears even when the shifter itself is indicating neutral.

Lakebum08
06-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try those tips and see were it gets me.

flipz96
06-29-2015, 10:33 AM
I would have problems sometimes with my switch. I had a mechanic on the lake tell me to keep in gear, move the lever all the way forward, then all the way back, back to center, and then pull out the knob. My boat cranks every time. He said I can get it replaced, but why spend the money for a simple task.

chris young
06-29-2015, 11:35 AM
I was having problems with mine last year, and same thing, move the throttle a bit and she'd go. Problem with that is, every time you move the throttle you squirt a bit of fuel into the carb so you can flood it if it's hot. I pulled my switch and measured it on the bench and it was rock solid, so I'm assuming that whatever bit in the transmission that actuates it may be at fault. I put it back in on Saturday but have only started the boat 3 or 4 times since so I don't know if it'll act up again. If it does I'll throw in a new switch for what they cost.

flipz96
06-29-2015, 12:43 PM
I was having problems with mine last year, and same thing, move the throttle a bit and she'd go. Problem with that is, every time you move the throttle you squirt a bit of fuel into the carb so you can flood it if it's hot. .

No doubt. There were times that it struggled to start because of flooding. I need to get it replaced...its just been low on the priority list considering what I went through with the floor/stringer restore.