PDA

View Full Version : loud engine

trcamp100
06-26-2015, 03:58 PM
I have a "new" 1991 Comp - had an American Skier last year. The Comp seems louder than it should, quite a bit louder than the Skier. It runs very well, so I don't think there is any kind of gasket leak.

I am thinking of two possible approaches - insulating the engine cover, and (possibly) investing in better mufflers. The mufflers seem to be new, but probably cheap. I am brand new to the site, and I did look around for this topic but found nothing. So, I would greatly appreciate any opinions and/or experiences from anyone.

crystal waters
06-26-2015, 08:42 PM
By my own personal experience an older comp with 500 plus hours runs loud via the mufflers.
Is this what you are hearing or is it another engine noise altogether.

trcamp100
06-28-2015, 08:05 AM
By my own personal experience an older comp with 500 plus hours runs loud via the mufflers.
Is this what you are hearing or is it another engine noise altogether.

Hard to say for sure - I am pretty sure the mufflers are new, or nearly new, but I am wondering if they are cheap ones. Also, the underside of the engine hood does not seem to have any insulation. The engine does NOT seem to have any operating problems - it runs well.

Do you have any experience changing out mufflers for better (quieter) ones? Maybe that is the question I should be asking.

crystal waters
06-28-2015, 09:30 AM
The past supra and my current 89 conbrio were / are well insulated under the hood of the doghouse.
If you have none , sounds to me like someone removed the inside insulation. Should be an easy fix however and i woukd recommend it.
Have no experience changing mufflers but certain you can find some posts on here re same using the search box at top right of this page.

CornRickey
06-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Add a fresh air exhaust.

docdrs
06-28-2015, 08:27 PM
is it exhaust noise , or engine noise, does it get appreciably worse when you lift the cover a bit?

trcamp100
06-29-2015, 01:01 PM
is it exhaust noise , or engine noise, does it get appreciably worse when you lift the cover a bit?

Excellent thought - I will do that if it ever stops raining. I am pretty sure it is engine noise - it's constant.

mlaosa
06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
My '91 is loud at the exhaust but quiet inside even at full throttle. Mine has two rubber mufflers that attach between the steel pipes and exhaust ports at the transom. I only found them because I'm doing stringer replacement. If yours is a '91 also and have a 351w then you probably have the same mufflers I have. If so, The only way to access them is to pull up part of the floor at rear of boat. I'd sure try insulating your dog house first. BTW, my previous boat---1986comp was much louder than my conbrio. Hope it helps

CornRickey
06-29-2015, 10:19 PM
My exhaust was so loud you couldn't talk at speed. Put on the FAE and all I hear is the side spray and the water pump witha slight engine hum. My point is there is no way your engine noise is louder than you exhaust in these boats when stock. You can insulate the dog house but then you will hear the exhaust

mlaosa
06-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Id take the exhaust sound anyday! That's part of a comp ski boat.

CornRickey
06-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Id take the exhaust sound anyday! That's part of a comp ski boat.

Yeah but your not the one asking about noise.

Jetlink
06-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Yeah but your not the one asking about noise.

Huh? Say again and speak up please.

mlaosa
06-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Good afternoon Mr. CornRickey. Apparently I've ruffled your feathers and if so then I apologize. However..........The OP (who happens to be a new member) is asking about engine/exhaust noise and as a owner of the same year model boat with same engine--- I'm trying to help him out. After all I thought that's what this forum is for----to help out with personal experiences/opinions when someone needs info?? If not let me know. I've owned 6 supra's and I learn a lot on here about my boat that maybe I didn't know just by reading everyone's posts. Anyway, enough said. If you need to talk--- my number should be in my profile. Thanks and have a great day!

foxriverat
06-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Good afternoon Mr. CornRickey. Apparently I've ruffled your feathers and if so then I apologize. However..........The OP (who happens to be a new member) is asking about engine/exhaust noise and as a owner of the same year model boat with same engine--- I'm trying to help him out. After all I thought that's what this forum is for----to help out with personal experiences/opinions when someone needs info?? If not let me know. I've owned 6 supra's and I learn a lot on here about my boat that maybe I didn't know just by reading everyone's posts. Anyway, enough said. If you need to talk--- my number should be in my profile. Thanks and have a great day!

As the sergeant in the movie stripes once said. Lighten up Frances

CornRickey
07-01-2015, 05:11 PM
The op asked about noise. And the above stated he liked the noise which is irrelevant to the OP then posts up a paragraph stating his irrelevant point which in turn brings about his irrelevant rebuttal. I'm confused so here you go...... For the op- I recommend a FAE, to the other dude- enjoy your noise....

UKandH
07-02-2015, 05:18 AM
V8 = sexy noise...but im a petrol head haha.

I personally like the noise from my Supra, not everyone does. I wouldnt modify mine in any way, shape or form.

FAE is a good alternative though, a bit pricey but good none the less. :)

chris young
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM
The V8 growl in these boats appeals to the 15 year old boy in me for sure, but I'm a big proponent of the idea that enjoyment of my pursuits shouldn't infringe on others rights to enjoy theirs. I currently do not have FAE, but it or some diy version of it is definitely in my boats future. I ski mostly in the same bay and I really don't feel right about roaring back and forth in front of those cottagers. Although I don't think they mind, and I'm only there for about 10 minutes or so. None the less, I really hated back in the heyday of PWCs these dopes from the camp down the lake, bombing around all day in front of our cottage, so I can sympathize with the cottagers who may not appreciate that sweet V8 hot rod sound whenever I ski by.

CornRickey
07-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Since I got mine I said they should make a cut out option like you see in high end performance cars were you can open it up or keep it quiet. I ran 13 years with a 86 SN and loved the noise but now we do about of low speed cruising and wakesurfing is a must with it in my opinion. Regardless those are you options and I don't think newmufflers with make as much as a impact ss a FAE and insulating of the cover.

UKandH
07-03-2015, 02:24 AM
Understand ya now Chris:D

My situation here is we have a dedicated ski lake set up, its away from the general housing area's and the only other people about are either fishing or walking dogs / walking for fun or cycling around the lake side and shore.
What makes my blood boil is people who buy houses next to these type of facilities knowing their use and then start to complain about the noise and try to get legal action to stop the fun.
Thats happening a lot here in the UK :(

We try to engage with the fishermen and the walkers / cyclist and keep the peace, but sometimes its difficult so we have times for shared access and dedicated activity times, Monday to Wednesday is shared, Thursday no boats allowed and Fishing only, Friday Boats all day and if fishermen turn up then they shut up and put up with it. Sat / Sun is shared from 1pm to nightfall, up to 1pm fishing only.
It works for us as its a private lake and only 16 boats use it.

It is a constant issue that raises its head very often where pleasure craft meet housing and population areas. The responsible owners do engage with the populace and try to keep a responsible attitude to keep the peace. However there is always the odd hooligan on a PWC or ski boat who does not care and hoons about making wakes and as much noise as possible just to annoy others.