PDA

View Full Version : Replacing carpet with boat decking

Brent
06-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Has anyone replaced your carpet with boat decking? I have to replace some soft spots and want to know all my options. I was thinking about replacing the soft spots and putting some plasdeck in its place. If anyone has done something besides putting carpet back in I would like to see some pics of what you did.

http://www.plasdeck.com/

Thanks,
Brent
1999 Supra Sunsport

SquamInboards
06-30-2015, 01:21 PM
I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if anyone here has done it.

I have another question, though: what do you mean by "soft spots?"

Brent
06-30-2015, 03:09 PM
The board between my back seat and engine is cracked and has to be replaced. And the board around my pylon and bilge hatch is getting bouncy. Since they are both center pieces I was looking into options of putting in some type of decking. I like the materials the new boats are using. But I haven't been able to find much aftermarket info on them.

lmnelson86
06-30-2015, 03:42 PM
I have a feeling once you start cutting/removing your floor, you're going to find that the floor and stringers need a full on replacement. If that is something that you think you'd tackle, wait until winter and do it once, do it right. My floor was "spotty" as well, and once I dug into it I discovered that the whole thing was wasted. Good luck

flipz96
06-30-2015, 08:23 PM
I think the moved to all composite stringers in '92ish, but they may have cored their floors with wood on some spots.

UKandH
07-02-2015, 05:26 AM
I have used tek dek before

http://www.tek-dek.com/

Results were great on my old Glastron 1700, but you need the right adhesive and a dead smooth floor or it looks crap.

Im going to replace the carpet in the Comp next season with the teak effect Tek Dek and on the swim platform as well.

CornRickey
07-02-2015, 10:23 AM
I think he maybe talking about the panels not the actual integrated floor that is soft.

trayson
07-02-2015, 11:34 AM
I replaced the carpet in my XLV with the diamond molded Hydroturf. Love it. Would never go back to carpet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3-StTptl_8k/VQzvCsf3DwI/AAAAAAAAYU4/fyVsR-xXn1g/s800/20150320_203904.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Vz_TjFPToTM/VQu8d3WEGaI/AAAAAAAAYUk/L6nO5Gs2Lk8/s800/20150319_210205.jpg

UKandH
07-03-2015, 02:04 AM
Ooooh i like that :o

flipz96
07-03-2015, 09:47 AM
I replaced the carpet in my XLV with the diamond molded Hydroturf. Love it. Would never go back to carpet.

That looks pretty awesome and practical. Did you use contact cement as your adhesive?

trayson
07-08-2015, 02:30 PM
That looks pretty awesome and practical. Did you use contact cement as your adhesive?

I used the good DAP contact cement. However, on some of the parts it didn't want to stick as well as I would have liked. I did end up using some 3m super 90 spray adhesive as well. I wasn't willing to pay extra for the peel and stick stuff.

I got my stuff from PWCMuscle.com and asked for a 15% forum discount. good vendor.

Cusefan78
07-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I just replaced the carpet in my Labrisa. Used the Roberts trowel on adhesive for th decking and the 3m contact cement on the sides and around my new dog house base. One thing to watch out for is once the contact cement is on there you have zero play so make sure everything is lined up perfectly

pridekit
07-13-2015, 10:13 AM
I used the good DAP contact cement. However, on some of the parts it didn't want to stick as well as I would have liked. I did end up using some 3m super 90 spray adhesive as well. I wasn't willing to pay extra for the peel and stick stuff.

I got my stuff from PWCMuscle.com and asked for a 15% forum discount. good vendor.

What size sheet(s) did you purchase? I love the look.

I've never messed with Hydro turf, does it retain water like carpet does?

trayson
07-13-2015, 11:14 AM
What size sheet(s) did you purchase? I love the look.

I've never messed with Hydro turf, does it retain water like carpet does?

The ones I got were about 40x62.

I was able to do my XLV with 3 sheets, but I have a playpen bow, so no walkthrough to worry about.

It doesn't retain water at all. it's closed cell foam. it dries really quick and I've even cleaned blood off it no problem, LOL! It can get a tiny bit hot, but splash some water on it and you're all good. the dark gray matches the color of the gray carpet just right.

I wouldn't go back. no way.

pridekit
07-13-2015, 04:12 PM
The ones I got were about 40x62.

I was able to do my XLV with 3 sheets, but I have a playpen bow, so no walkthrough to worry about.

It doesn't retain water at all. it's closed cell foam. it dries really quick and I've even cleaned blood off it no problem, LOL! It can get a tiny bit hot, but splash some water on it and you're all good. the dark gray matches the color of the gray carpet just right.

I wouldn't go back. no way.

Did you replace the carpet inside the storage areas as well?

Did you slide the hydro turf under the top cap/storage walls like the carpet was?

I really like the idea because I hate how soggy the carpet gets, especially when cleaning.

trayson
07-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Did you replace the carpet inside the storage areas as well?

Did you slide the hydro turf under the top cap/storage walls like the carpet was?

I really like the idea because I hate how soggy the carpet gets, especially when cleaning.

I only did the main floor. I will eventually get rid of the carpet in the rear lockers. Doing the carpet in the underseat lockers would have been too much work.

My floor panels sit on top of a lip where there's sub floor. The fiberglass seat bases actually go lower than the main floor panels and the main floor panels on my boat are held in with screws that go horizontally through the bottom of the seat bases (from the inside) into the floor panels.

This is where my main floor panel was. you can see the dirty line on the seat bases where the panel was. I only had two panels. one giant one over the gas tank, under the cooler cutout and around the v-drive cutout. Then another for the front.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l_FJzkltQlc/VPfOrChFIzI/AAAAAAAAYKg/YkkAPE5iasU/s800-Ic42/20150304_182035.jpg

Here's the other one that covers the infloor cooler, and goes in front of the driver's seat. I wrapped the hydroturf around the edges of the floor panels as if it was carpet. it made for a crazy tight fit getting it back in place, but I made it happen.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w_xdCc3rdkI/VP5u1OMF92I/AAAAAAAAYL0/s_PxaVE6P8c/s800-Ic42/20150309_200504.jpg

Front side of the main panel with 1 seam.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OXX3rBW4pWQ/VQJ_6K2y5eI/AAAAAAAAYPI/7oknRXhLBmE/s800-Ic42/20150312_230622.jpg

backside of that same panel:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FsdbUnB8MtM/VQJ_7d8sI6I/AAAAAAAAYPQ/VBRTUNTnR8I/s800-Ic42/20150312_224705.jpg

Brent
07-20-2015, 11:12 AM
That is what I was thinking about doing. I don't like having carpet. Thanks for the pics.

pridekit
07-20-2015, 11:58 AM
That's awesome trayson, I'll have to look into that. I'm going to have a very expensive winter lol.

01SupraLaunch21DD
01-31-2016, 03:07 PM
I just started removing my old carpet. Any tips on cutting the hydroturf and laying it would be greatly appreciated. That looks really nice trayson.

td in nc
01-31-2016, 04:28 PM
I just started removing my old carpet. Any tips on cutting the hydroturf and laying it would be greatly appreciated. That looks really nice trayson.
I am doing the carpet this spring on my 21 launch dd. I would be interested in seeing how you do the base of the dog house - have only seen the hydroturf on v drive boats i would be interested in seeing some pics of how you handle it. Also I found a source for the cream colored trim that goes around the base. Bought a 50' roll and only need 20'.

01SupraLaunch21DD
02-01-2016, 11:06 PM
I am doing the carpet this spring on my 21 launch dd. I would be interested in seeing how you do the base of the dog house - have only seen the hydroturf on v drive boats i would be interested in seeing some pics of how you handle it. Also I found a source for the cream colored trim that goes around the base. Bought a 50' roll and only need 20'.

Could you share the link to where you bought the trim? I have not started on the dog house yet, I have only started removing my carpet and scraping the glue off ( A long process). I am looking forward to your updates and pictures of you hydroturf floor. Have you decided what color and size sheets of hydroturf you will be ordering?

td in nc
02-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Here is the link to the manufacturer http://barbourplastics.com/flex-trims/. They only sell it in 110' rolls. I found someone to split a roll with me so I should have about 30' extra after redoing my boat (it only takes about 20' ). If you interested in 25 to 30' and splitting the cost with me send a pm.

As far as the dog house I am not sure what to do with it and because of that I am considering going back with carpet.

01SupraLaunch21DD
02-17-2016, 06:43 PM
What color trim did you order? mine is a light grey color. I haven't decided if I am going to wrap the bottom of the doghouse with hydroturf or just new grey carpet.

td in nc
02-17-2016, 09:49 PM
What color trim did you order? mine is a light grey color. I haven't decided if I am going to wrap the bottom of the doghouse with hydroturf or just new grey carpet.

My trim is cream color

01SupraLaunch21DD
02-23-2016, 09:58 AM
My trim is cream color

Could you post a picture of it? i would be interested if the color matches. Have you decided if you are going to do the hydroturf?

td in nc
02-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Trim is cream color. I should have about 30' available if anyone is interested in it. I have decided to go with carpet as I could not figure out a good transition at the dog house, back seat and under the drivers seat. I ripped out my carpet last weekend and got the glue off. Was surprised at how long it took me to get all the interior disassembled but the carpet came up better than I thought. Still working on getting the carpet off the dog house and rear ballast tank. Dog house is a PITA and the ballast tank is 10 times worse. I am considering just carpeting over the existing tank for the small area which is exposed as I do not want to damage the tank and the carpet is sticking extremely well. 1685716857 If you have an questions about removing the interior pieces let me know

01SupraLaunch21DD
02-23-2016, 11:24 PM
yeah I may be interested in that 30' of trim. Post some pictures of your progress I would love to see them. what kind of carpet are you going with?

td in nc
02-25-2016, 08:23 PM
yeah I may be interested in that 30' of trim. Post some pictures of your progress I would love to see them. what kind of carpet are you going with?

I am going with a carpet which as similar to the existing as I could find as there will still be carpet in the battery compartment and ski locker. Is a patterned loop sandstone from corinthian marine carpet. I provided a couple of pics to show how to remove the rear side cushions. None once the seat back is removed you can easily reach around the back and remove the nuts on the backside of the side cushions. Initially I tried to to the bolts by going through the speaker hole :confused:. It was also a bit of a challenge to remove the panel which goes around the ski pylon. 1686716868168681686916870

01SupraLaunch21DD
03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the pictures! Looks good so far keep them coming please! I am very interested in your project. I about 90% sure I am still going with the hydro turf. Once the better gets a little better I am going to start removing the old carpet.

td in nc
03-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Found a great product for removing areas of the the carpet which are difficult to get off. I could not get the carpet of the rear ballast tank which is used as the seat base and was concerned about damaging the tank. It is Sentinal adhesive remover 626. I soaked the carpet per the instructions and carpet came off super easy.

01SupraLaunch21DD could you share a pic of the hardware for the doghouse base and floor (the ones used to keep the doghouse from sliding around - my boat did not come with any on the rear of the doghouse?