PDA

View Full Version : Won't start

07-04-2015, 02:53 PM
have supra indmar 5.7 boat. Won't start and doesn't turn over. Can jump solenoid and will start. Replaced starter fuse. There is no power at either side of starter fuse. Any suggestions??

2500HD
07-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Have you checked the circuit breakers under the helm? What year and model is the boat?

CJD
07-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Depends on the set-up...

If it has a relay between the switch and the starter, there is likely 2 fuses...one for the switch circuit and the other for the relay power circuit.

If there is no relay, then it is either the switch or a connection to the switch.

07-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Have you checked the circuit breakers under the helm? What year and model is the boat?

It is 2009 supra world edition

docdrs
07-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Where ya from kflewe?

UKandH
07-06-2015, 04:53 AM
Common comment but is it in Neutral ?

Possible faulty Neutral SW ??

pridekit
07-06-2015, 11:28 AM
I just went through this same issue on friday. My issue was related to the neutral safety switch on the transmission. I think one of the screws had worked itself loose. I do NOT suggest this being a permanent fix, but you can bypass the NSS by crimping the two wires together, at least you would know if that is the problem. I am replacing my switch completely as it looks to be rusted and they are relatively inexpensive.

You can also check the relay, which should be located next to the ECM on the front of the motor (should be right behind the rear seat assuming this is a V drive. I tested my relay before I messed with the NSS. The NSS was located underneath/behind the ECM/Relay mounting plate (A real PITA to get too).

07-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Great advice. I will check the neutral safety switch. The weird thing is there is no power at either side of the fuse for the starter. A wiring diagram would help diagnose this but haven,t located one yet. Thanks from Canada

pridekit
07-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Great advice. I will check the neutral safety switch. The weird thing is there is no power at either side of the fuse for the starter. A wiring diagram would help diagnose this but haven,t located one yet. Thanks from Canada

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Indmar_MEFI5-5Amanual.pdf Page 5-7 or page 85 in the PDF.

I couldn't locate the fuse on my boat (out of curiousity, where is it?), but the rest was pretty straight forward. The relay was located next to the ECM, just look at the wires coming out and find the one that has the Yellow/Red wires.

Bakes has a lot of great info: https://www.bakesonline.com/boatinfo.aspx
I downloaded the Indmar MEFI5, Mechanical Repair Specs, Operations Manual, Supra Owners Manual, ZF 45C Transmission manual, and the RV-10 V-Drive manual (I have a Walter V-Drive). That seems to cover everything except for some of the wiring under the dash.

pridekit
07-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Look at page 5-7 or page 85 in the PDF. https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Indmar_MEFI5-5Amanual.pdf

chris young
07-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Just a quicky on shorting the neutral start switch. You don't have to crimp or destroy anything, just put both terminals on one side of the switch shorting them together. Takes 2 minutes with a slot screwdriver. Be careful. You will now be able to start the boat in gear.