PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler - Location and Leak

pridekit
07-06-2015, 12:37 PM
So I recently purchased a 06 Supra Launch 21V with 1850 hrs (was a school boat). I took it out for the first time this weekend and had a few problems. The first was the neutral safety switch working intermittently, which I currently have bypassed and will be replacing this weekend (it looked a bit rusted, and I feel more comfortable replacing it than trusting that the rusted one is working). My other problems may be related.

First, this is an Indmar 325 Assault, with a half system (heat exchanger, etc). I have checked the impeller and it looks brand new, which is what I was told when I bought the boat, I replaced the water strainer screen and basket (it was missing the gasket and was cracking). I have not drained and flushed the rest of the cooling lines and heat exchanger, but I'm considering doing that this weekend.

The Problem:
She was running great, until I got above about 4k RPM. It would heat up to roughly 190 and kick down to idle speeds, looking under the engine cover we didn't see anything. I continued the rest of the day (a few hours) at about 3500 for cruising (did some wakeboarding as well, so that was variable RPM) and all was good until it dropped back to idle and the temp was back up in the 190 range. My buddy pulled the engine cover and this time saw the bottom tranny cooler hose spraying water from around the clamp. So, I know I need to at least replace the clamp, but will probably replace the entire hose to make sure it isn't split. My question is, with this leak at the bottom of the tranny cooler (the hose goes into the top of impeller housing, I haven't had a chance to lookup if that is the output or the input), could that be causing my overheating and making ECM go into a protection mode?

Also, can someone send me a picture of the mounting location of the tranny cooler. Mine is currently "secured" with a zip tie and a screw going into the floor, the alternator pulley is fractions of an inch away and has actually cut into the zip tie a little. I definitely want to fix that, I can't imagine that is how it came from Supra.

Does the Assault normally run at 180, or should I put in a 160 thermostat (I haven't dug up the part number yet, figured I'd ask while I search for the OEM part num)?

Thanks for the help!

docdrs
07-07-2015, 08:56 PM
they run at 160 degrees. the top of impeller housing is the output. it is normal for the temp to go up (for about 10-20 secs) when you power it down to idle from running hot .

pridekit
07-08-2015, 10:25 AM
they run at 160 degrees. the top of impeller housing is the output. it is normal for the temp to go up (for about 10-20 secs) when you power it down to idle from running hot .

Great, thanks. I'll find a new 160 thermostat and make sure I have good one (and the right one) :)

I went ahead and bought some new hose and a mounting bracket from skidim, I'll swap all that in and see if I can't get her cooling properly :D