PDA

View Full Version : Vdrive oil drain plug leak

SteveK
07-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Hello. I have a 2005 21V. I've only had it for a year. I thought I noticed some oil in the bilge last season. I just changed all the fluids and noticed that there is a small leak from the drain plug on the vdrive unit.
So my question is, should there be an o ring on that drain plug or could I put one on ( the temp would not melt it or anything).
It's not a fast leak but oil in the bilge sucks and the level in the drive is slowly going down.
Thanks.
Edit. Just checked again and the drain plug won't accommodate an o ring, it has no head on it. It's just one of those square head plugs. I don't like the idea of teflon tape on the threads but any other ideas.

MJR119
07-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Teflon tape should be okay. Unlike the oil pressure sending unit, the drain plug does not need a solid metal to metal ground. Are the threads beat up at all? Did you check the torque specs?

CJD
07-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Did you check it to make sure it is in snuggly? Someone may have forgotten to tighten it at the last fluid change.

SteveK
07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
The threads didn't look beat up, and I didn't torque it to specs but the plug is tight. Checked it again this morning and there does not seem to be new oil. Maybe I dripped some filling it. I will keep checking it and if it does leak I will put tape on the threads to give it a try. Thanks for all the replies!!!