PDA

View Full Version : 89 Saltare questions

supracalifragilistic
07-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Hey guys couple of questions for you. I am assuming my trailer is factory. Its making some pretty scary noises going down the freeway. Im assuming the hub and bearings are all bad. Where can i go to get replacements and what am i looking for (part numbers) bearing buddy says model number 1980 but im assuming i need to replace more then just this part? Also had the 454 rebuild last year.
since i put the motor back in, im getting quite a bit of water coming from my prop shaft (from the big nut it looks like). The 454 is EFI and i dont think its tuned right. any help on how to get this tuned would be much appreciated.

wotan2525
07-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Shaft nut needs to be tightened or have the packing replaced. Google will show you how and skidim.com has the packing you need.

454 is EFI? That would surprise me. Are you sure???

Trailer needs maintenance. It's a good idea to replace bearings and races every few seasons (and to regularly grease them.) Pull your wheels and brake hubs off (knock the bearing buddy off with a mallet, remove the cotter pin and castle nut, remove the brake hub (keep things in the right order!), measure your spindles and take that info and your old bearings to NAPA. They'll have bearings and races for you -- should be less than $20/side. It's an easy job that can be done in a few hours once you figure out how to do it.

I'd take the time to inspect/replace your brake shoes and wheel cylinders if you have brake issues. It's only another 15m worth of work.

The other noise from your trailer is probably worn leaf spring bushings and shackles. I bought new hardware at my local farm store. Was less than $150 and the trailer rolls like new now.

supracalifragilistic
07-10-2015, 11:18 PM
obviously not a motor guy here. Guess i assumed this was an EFI unit. Whatever it is i dont have it tuned right.

cadunkle
07-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Packing gland is simple. loosen the small jam nut tighten the larger nut until you feel it just snug up on the shaft. Adjust for a few drips per minute at idle in gear. Too loose leaks more than needed, too tight and you can overheat the packing wearing it out and wearing a groove into your shaft.

Regarding the EFI. Check here (https://www.holley.com/support/resources/) for documentation. I don't see anything specifically for the marine ProJection system but maybe it is similar to tune to the automotive version. Failing that call or email Holley and I'm sure they can get you a manual and give some advise. I would be curious to play with it a bit, but likely would replace it with a carb. TBI offers no advantage over a carb but introduces complexity and additional failure points. End game unless it gave amazing performance and GPH would be a 750 double pumper (https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/specialty_carburetors/marine_carburetors/parts/0-80537).

Regarding your trailer. Probably due for bearings and races, maybe brakes and such too. I did this on mine last year and had a little trouble figuring out bearings I needed. I have dimensions and part numbers listed in this thread (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16465-Saltare-tandem-trailer-fender-source-size). Check that your bearings have same measurements as your trailer and axles may be different than mine, though mine is also an '89 Saltare on what I believe to be the factory trailer.