PDA

View Full Version : Humming bird depth finder help

89supracomp
07-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Hey guys I need some advice. My depth finder is acting weird. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's accurate and sometimes it doesn't read anything at all, so I want to replace it with a new one.

I was thinking about a new hawk eye from Discount Marine. Does anybody have any experience with those or should I get a new one like the one I have?

One more question... The old transducer is epoxied to the bottom of the hull. Is there anyway I can remove that and install the new transducer in the same spot or would I be better off leaving the old one there and installing the new transducer beside it?
Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of my current unit

2500HD
07-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Out of curiosity, does that transducer go all the way through the hull? It looks awfully thin.

wotan2525
07-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Does anyone else have a photo of their transducer? This is a nagging issue I've always had -- I installed a depth gauge but was never able to get the transducer to a place where it worked.

89supracomp
07-14-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't go all the way through the hull. I'm thinking it might be easier to just leave it there and install the new transducer somewhere else.

Cusefan78
07-14-2015, 09:27 PM
yes it can be removed and moved or you can put a new one in its place. From what I understand oil and the ducers don't mix. I replaced mine two years ago with a hummingbird unit. Used some epoxy to stick it back done. I was told when I did mine to use an even amount all the way across it and make sure there isn't any bubbles in it.