PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Supra TS6M Pro Comp Alternator

gleaseball
07-13-2015, 03:22 PM
I have been having battery charging issues with my TS6M Pro Comp. Engine is a Ford 305 (I believe - V8) and I have taken the alternator to three different auto parts stores trying to get it tested to see if it is still workign but none of these geniuses can figure out how to hook it up.

Anyone have any ideas on any specs on the alternator, and how I might get a replacement?

thanks.

mlaosa
07-13-2015, 04:11 PM
You can get a replacement at www.skidim.com. Have you checked voltage across your battery with a volt meter to see if the alternator is charging? should read around 14.2-14.6volts when engine is running-- meaning the alternator is charging. If it only shows 12 volts +/- when running then its not charging. FYI, a 305 engine is typically a chevy engine. Most likely you have the ford 351. Post some pics of engine if your not sure. Either way, be sure to get a marine alternator if replacing it. Hope this helps.

wotan2525
07-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Db Electrical can also get you a cheaper marine alternator if you want to go this way. I've had good luck but others have reported hit and miss results. I think it's worth a shot for the money you can save.