PDA

View Full Version : trouble finding 351w parts

mafhuntfish
07-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Hi All - I'm working on a 1988 Supra Sunsport with a PCM 351w motor. PLD-WR-L10 I've got a bad oil leak (appox a qt per day if run hard all day) After an inspection - it looks to me like the rear main seal is the culprit. From the research I've done this would be a left hand rotation motor? and would require the brown rear main seal? Sound Right? I spent 3 hours yesterday online trying to find one without success. I plan on pulling the motor to replace this seal and inspect the oil pan and replace the pan gasket too. Anybody have any suggestions on where I can find this brown 1 piece seal and 1 piece pan gasket? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Cusefan78
07-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Pretty sure you can find that at Napa

trayson
07-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I got the rear main seal for my 92 sunsport from a local auto parts store. I can't see how rotation would matter on the seal. Likewise I replaced the ring gear with one from a car. Just picked one of the zillion cars/trucks on the road with a 351w. SOOO much cheaper.

I'd bet if you pulled the old one out you could easily walk into any parts store and walk out with a rear main seal for dirt cheap.

mafhuntfish
07-14-2015, 02:20 PM
thanks for the replies - from what I've read, from pcm the orange seal is for the right hand rotation & the brown seal is for the left hand rotation - seems to have something to do with channeling the oil back towards the motor? If this is wrong I'd be real happy to just go get one at napa. Have also read where some have had bad luck with the automotive seals as opposed to the marine seals in this application - again, if this is wrong it's off to napa ...

trayson
07-14-2015, 02:52 PM
thanks for the replies - from what I've read, from pcm the orange seal is for the right hand rotation & the brown seal is for the left hand rotation - seems to have something to do with channeling the oil back towards the motor? If this is wrong I'd be real happy to just go get one at napa. Have also read where some have had bad luck with the automotive seals as opposed to the marine seals in this application - again, if this is wrong it's off to napa ...

Call up the guys at Ski DIM and ask them...
www.skidim.com

mafhuntfish
07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Will do - Thanks