PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Loading Issues

cmayes
07-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Hello,

I'm a new owner of a 22' 2002 Supra Launch - great boat. It came with the factory matching "Supra" trailer. The trailer fits the boat extremely well, but it is not the easiest thing to load. I've had boats since I was a kid and have lots of experience loading trailers, but I can't seem to consistently hit the "sweet spot" with the new boat. The previous owner power-loaded the boat and seemed to have no issue with it, I've been able to power-load it a few times but it's not consistent...

I met another owner of the same boat and he ran his trailer deep and floated the entire boat and then had people hold the rear trailer guides as he pulled the truck forward, guiding the boat onto the bunks. I've done this too, and it works well, but I'd love to become a pro at the power load...

My issue with power loading is that the bow almost always wants to come in lower than the front roller on the trailer. Even when I deep-six the trailer and do the float and load thing I often have to lift the bow over the roller while cranking the tow strap the last 6" or so... :confused:

Thanks for the help!

CJD
07-17-2015, 10:09 AM
I think that's an issue we have to live with. These boats are very sensitive to the angle of the ramp. With a good ramp angle everything comes together and you can drive the boat right up with minimal power. Frequently that puts the nose under the roller, though, if the ramp is too steep.

It always works to run it deep, so the nose floats over the roller...but then you have to dunk your bumper and rear wheels...not to mention wading to your waist to hook the winch cable. The boat will always center coming out...it has no other place to come down but centered.

The compromise option I have started using is to put the trailer reasonably deep and drive on. If the nose goes under the roller, I hook up the cable and pull the trailer forward until the nose tilts above the roller...then have a helper power the last foot while you winch. On some ramps this takes a LOT of power.

Something that really does work, if you find yourself having to use an uncomfortable amount of power is to Armour-All the ramps. It makes a noticeable difference!

cmayes
07-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the reply CJD - good to hear it's not just me. The Armour-All idea is brilliant. going to do that this weekend

michael hunter
07-17-2015, 08:42 PM
I float all my boats power loading is hard on the bunk material and scratches the bottom of the hull.

foxriverat
07-17-2015, 09:44 PM
We always power load. Back the trailer in as deep as you can to get all bunks wet. Pull up till top of fenders are a few inches above water. I also moved the whole crank and roller assembly forward so the boat never touches the black roller. Drive boat on. It stops at the carpeted v bunk. Then tighten up with winch. All that front roller ever does is get black marks on my boat which are a pain to get off.

CJD
07-18-2015, 05:21 PM
We always power load. Back the trailer in as deep as you can to get all bunks wet. Pull up till top of fenders are a few inches above water. I also moved the whole crank and roller assembly forward so the boat never touches the black roller. Drive boat on. It stops at the carpeted v bunk. Then tighten up with winch. All that front roller ever does is get black marks on my boat which are a pain to get off.

Just be careful. If you leave too much space and you slam the brakes that big boat will get a running start to removing the bumper!

docdrs
07-18-2015, 06:11 PM
If your coming below bow roller your trailer is in too far and or the ramp is very steep and and or a combo of all As before, wet entire bunk then pull the trailer out to your sweet spot

personally I have eco friendly moss covered bunks

foxriverat
07-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Just be careful. If you leave too much space and you slam the brakes that big boat will get a running start to removing the bumper!

No theres not too much space. And when I travel you run tie down from hole in v pad mount to keep it from going forward 16089

cadunkle
07-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Bow below roller means trailer is too deep for the ramp. Recently had this issue at a new to me ramp that is the steepest I've ever used. I justlcranked it to the roller, pulled forward a foot, and cranked to the stop. The steeper the ramp the narrower the sweet spot. Liquid rollers on the bunks helps.

barelyfloating
07-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Lot's of good advice here, and I think the angle comment is dead on. Very sensitive. Personally, I make sure all the kids and weight is in the back of the boat. Makes a difference for me...

cmayes
07-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Looking at the landing it's fairly steep. I've gone the float route the past few times and it worked perfect.