PDA

View Full Version : Surfing Tips - 2002 Launch 22'

cmayes
07-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Hello-

I'm a new owner of a 2002 Supra Launch. It has the Hippo Ballast system in it and a powered wake plate. I've surfed friends boats, but never set up and "tuned" my own boat. Would love any tips on boat set up, line length, boat speed, added ballast, even type of surfboard.

Cheers!

Zim
07-17-2015, 01:02 PM
More weight the better towards the rear side that you'll be surfing. Then go about 10-12mph and find the clean face of the wave. That's where you'll surf. The more wight you put in the boat, the more the wave will grow. You'll want your wake plate between 75 and 100% up.

Also, put all the passengers in your boat on the surf side.

Start there, and let us know how it goes.

cmayes
07-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Has anyone made a "Ghetto Gate" for their swim platform? Was thinking of giving that a try as well. If you've built one is there an optimal angle for the fin/wing/gate to project? It looks like a lot of people are running at 20-ish degrees of projection.

CornRickey
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Take a look at my wake gates thread. Our hulls are the same. I've have a bunch of videos on YouTube, search for JHrickey . That should get you in your way. As for weight.... Without gates I would Surf with 750 - Surf side rear, 800 Surf side floor, 1100 ski compartment, 400 playpen, surf side. With gates, 750 Surf side rear, 300 other rear, 400 Surf side floor, Gate out on none sSurf.

jtryon
07-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Has anyone made a "Ghetto Gate" for their swim platform? Was thinking of giving that a try as well. If you've built one is there an optimal angle for the fin/wing/gate to project? It looks like a lot of people are running at 20-ish degrees of projection.
many people have, myself included, and it's the best bang-for-the-buck thing you can do for surfing IMO. from my research, 15-22 degrees is best. i tried more of an angle when i was first testing and the wave wasn't as good as ~20deg, and made the boat pretty hard to steer while deployed. with my ghetto gate, i run ~1300lbs surf side, 800 non-surf side, 650 in the front and have a great tall, long wave compared to without the ghetto gate.

cmayes
08-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Surfed it this weekend for the first time. I filled both rear ballast tanks and placed all of the adults on the surf side corner with one up front. Ran 9.5 mph or so. The wake was messy, but surf-able. Will work on tuning things now. Am I ready correctly above that the "Surf gate" goes on the non-surf side?

jtryon
08-04-2015, 08:48 AM
if the wake is messy, you probably need a little more speed. i usually run 11-11.5mph. and yes, a surf gate goes on the non-surf side, to delay the convergence of the water coming around that side of the hull.

barelyfloating
08-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Take a look at my wake gates thread. Our hulls are the same. I've have a bunch of videos on YouTube, search for JHrickey . That should get you in your way. As for weight.... Without gates I would Surf with 750 - Surf side rear, 800 Surf side floor, 1100 ski compartment, 400 playpen, surf side. With gates, 750 Surf side rear, 300 other rear, 400 Surf side floor, Gate out on none sSurf.

I have the same boat. I watched your video and now I'm curious if you're making these for sale?