PDA

View Full Version : Swim deck coming loose off brackets due to surfing

Janderson131
07-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Have a 05 supra 24ssv. We basically only surf behind the boat and the stress of the wave on swim deck has caused a lot of the mounting screws to either become loose or fall out. Have drilled new holes in bracket and added more screws but seem to always come loose. The wholes become wobbled out and the screws never seem to stay as tight in the deck. Any ideas on how to secure the deck to the brackets with a more permanent solution that can handle the stress of surfing

flipz96
07-19-2015, 12:43 PM
You can glass embed 1/2" steel or aluminum plates on the underside of your platform and tap them. Why are they coming loose? What are the screws biting into now? Composite coring, wood, etc?

Janderson131
07-19-2015, 02:29 PM
You can glass embed 1/2" steel or aluminum plates on the underside of your platform and tap them. Why are they coming loose? What are the screws biting into now? Composite coring, wood, etc?

They are just screwing into the fiberglass from what I can tell. Seems like a pore design for something that is getting so much pressure put on it.

2500HD
07-19-2015, 05:27 PM
If your platform is coming loose due to wakesurfing then it is also killing your wave. I would look into either buying a surf specific platform or due what many have done and just make one yourself. It really is amazing what a difference it will make on the wave.

Janderson131
07-19-2015, 10:12 PM
Yeah I have really been thinking about a new deck. Sounds like it will cost around 1200 to buy one. The deck actually fell off 1 day while we were surfing. Left it off since we didn't have the tools to fix it. The surf wave was unbelievable. Thinking it would really be worth the time or money to get 1
thanks

wotan2525
07-20-2015, 10:55 AM
You can also just put washers and nuts on the back of your bolts. Be sure to use some 3M 4200 to seal the bolts and holes.....

trayson
07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
If your platform is coming loose due to wakesurfing then it is also killing your wave. I would look into either buying a surf specific platform or due what many have done and just make one yourself. It really is amazing what a difference it will make on the wave.

Agreed.

Yeah I have really been thinking about a new deck. Sounds like it will cost around 1200 to buy one. The deck actually fell off 1 day while we were surfing. Left it off since we didn't have the tools to fix it. The surf wave was unbelievable. Thinking it would really be worth the time or money to get 1
thanks

$1200 is nuts. Get yourself a sheet of HDPE. I used black. Then get yourself some hydroturf and the good DAP contact cement.

here's my thread. I used 3/4" HDPE. 1" was a lot more expensive. with the 3/4", mine has bowed a little in the center... Like maybe 1/4" between the center and the brackets. It doesn't really affect anything though, so I'm leaving it as is.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?25259-XLV-custom-Surf-platform&highlight=surf+platform