PDA

View Full Version : Supra ski boat info . . .

Steve-o
07-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Hey folks, I hope you guys don't mind taking a minute to shoot any info my way that you may have to offer. I currently have a 1998 Marada SKE 198 open bow boat. It has a 5.0 Mercruiser I/O to power it. I am a weekend skier and it wasn't until I skied behind a Centurion Carbon Pro that I realized how much wake my boat produced, not to mention relatively speaking how slow out of the hole on a deep water slalom start my Marada is. I love the versatility of an open bow boat but am looking for the torque and calm wakes you would get from a true ski boat.

Here is the question - is there such a thing as an open bow boat with great slalom wakes?

That Centurion was nearly wakeless it seemed, but I am really only prepared to spend $10k or less. Waterski mag had an article a year or so ago that really liked the 1993 Supra TS6M but those are closed bow. I've seen Mariah and the Sunsport (i think those are the correct models) and I like the look, but have no idea how their wakes are. I wonder how those 2 open bow models compare to the TS6M that the magazine liked so much?

I appreciate any feedback you Supra owners out there have.

Thanks for your time!
Steve-o

cjtpilot
07-27-2015, 02:23 PM
I for one can't say enough about the Comp! I understand wanting an open bow, with a family of 5 closed bow can get tight. You want to stay 1992 or newer due to there is no wood floors or stringers after that year. In your price range open bows are few and far between. However if you are ok with closed bow a Comp is very very hard to beat especially in that price range. Selfish plug time I have a 92 Comp for sale.

Cusefan78
07-27-2015, 02:56 PM
I was in the same position as you. Before I bought my supra Labrisa I owned a Baja with a 5.0. I skied behind a buddies comp and right then and there I decided to sell my Baja and get a supra. I was really sold on supra or mastercraft. When I started to look I quickly found out you get a better bang for your buck with supra. I then found a Labrisa. There wasn't and still isn't much info on them but I talked to a lot of People on here and decided to buy it. My Labrisa has the front playpen. It's 20.5' has every option that was available at the time and I still love it. Wake is a little bigger then a comp but the open bow is worth the maybe 1" higher wake plus I have a larger free board so if I wanted to I can sack the boat for wakeboarding.

As for the Mariah and sunsport. Both are bigger then the comp with a much bigger freeboard and both will have more room then a comp. the drawback is obviously the wake will be much bigger then a comp but still a ton better then your io. Lastly a lot of time the owners of the bigger boats have the wake plates set for a bigger wake because wakeboarding is way more popular these days. They can be adjusted up and down to get the wake size you want.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-28-2015, 09:44 AM
When I bought the SunSport I was looking for a boat that did it all. Ski, board, cruise, hang, etc. With a full tank of gas and the wake plate adjusted slightly up the SunSport throws a great wave for board sports between 11mph and 24, 25 mph. The wake begins to flatten @28 and is definitely skiable. Not as flat as a Comp with a full tank of gas but it's skiable and better than an I/O.
With @1/4 tank of gas and the wake plate adjusted slightly down the SunSport's ski wave is laughably small, again NOT as flat, narrow, and gorgeous as a Comp ski wake but surprisingly small for a pig of a boat.
Good luck with the search.

ridein04
07-28-2015, 04:43 PM
You are looking for a Supra Legacy...absolutely love mine, it is just what you are describing!

Steve-o
07-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Thanks a lot for all of your input. The 1992 and newer due to the floors & stringers is great information and all of the opinions on the wakes of the other models are much appreciated too. I think when I am ready to buy I will just need to actually go and do a lake run behind a couple of these different models and see for myself. Anyone reading after this post, please feel free to continue adding your comments as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Salty87
07-28-2015, 07:40 PM
There's an open bow version of the Comp called the Conbrio. Not sure what years it was made.

I agree that the Sunsport is a great all around boat. It will easily hold a family, great wake when weighted a bit and relatively fuel friendly. Never tried to slalom.

Something like this might work although I think cjtpilot posted it. CJT....you gonna scoop that baby up?

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?17635-Supra-Legacy

Cusefan78
07-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Better be careful. I think cj has his eye on that one. 16222 so you can see what a Labrisa looks like. There aren't a lot of guys on here with them. They were sized between a comp and the salts and not a lot of them where made. I love mine

cjtpilot
07-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Going to look at it tomorrow, the guy still has some work to do to get it water worthy since its been in his garage since 2012 but he is right by my work so I at least want to put my eyes on it.
There's an open bow version of the Comp called the Conbrio. Not sure what years it was made.

I agree that the Sunsport is a great all around boat. It will easily hold a family, great wake when weighted a bit and relatively fuel friendly. Never tried to slalom.

Something like this might work although I think cjtpilot posted it. CJT....you gonna scoop that baby up?

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?17635-Supra-Legacy

korey
07-30-2015, 05:14 PM
I bumped into a boat today that made me think of this thread! A family friend runs a small Supra/Moomba dealership in Southern KY near Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow - Denney Marine in Albany, KY. I dropped in to see the family friends and oogle the new boats while out on a service call in the area today, and he had just taken in (forgot if he said on trade or just consignment or what) what looked to me like an ~05 Comp open bow with a tower. That would make a spectacular ski-oriented family fun machine! I didn't look too closely because I'm not in the market, but it looked good from a distance! Much like this boat, but with red in place of blue:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Supra-Comp-20--for-sale-Winchester-Tennessee-50727.aspx

I have absolutely no other interest in this boat, only passing info along. I gain nothing from any sale!

Cusefan78
07-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Hmm learn something everyday. Didn't know they made an open bow comp. I thought all those year open bow boats were called supra launch. Nice looking boat though

korey
07-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I was thinking that Comp STS = Closed Bow and Comp LTS = Open Bow?

Jetlink
07-31-2015, 12:35 AM
Hmm learn something everyday. Didn't know they made an open bow comp. I thought all those year open bow boats were called supra launch. Nice looking boat though

http://www.supraboats.com/archive/05-comp-lts

Bam!!!

That wasn't so hard to find...