PDA

View Full Version : New supra owner HELP!

SuperSam
08-01-2015, 11:29 PM
I just purchased a 1989 supra saltare with a pcm 351. I brought it home and put it in the water and realized my floor had water on it after running. I immediately became concerned that I had a leak but the bilge wasn't filling. The water ran across my floor slowly starting in the front and seeping back slowly dripping into the bilge and my bilge pump would empty it. I believe that my floor line sits above the waterline which would make a leak in the hull quite difficult to have above it. My floor is also gel coated so the water runs on that under the carpet until it gets to the doghouse and other gaps it can slowly drip through into the bilge. I would guess that if it was a leak it should be filling the space between the floor and the hull not above the floor. With that said I found a silver box under the playpen in front of the observer seat on the port side. It seemed that all around it was hot water. There are two hoses that connect from the engine to it both looking like water hoses. My guess is that it is the heater vent core that may have been plumbed for hot water from the engine. I turned the spicket off on the engine that came from one of the hoses that went to the box thinking it would solve the problem. Unfortunately after taking the boat out and getting it on plane all the water started to run across the carpet and eventually into the bilge. Does anyone have any experience with this? How can I fix it or turn the water off to the box? I will attach pictures of what I am talking about. 1624916250. All advice is appreciated!

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 06:22 AM
My heater core has two lines so the water can circulate. Have to close both ends

leetudor
08-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Remove the hoses from the heater core and splice them together with a hose joiner.

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Remove the hoses from the heater core and splice them together with a hose joiner. I removed the hoses from the block and plugged them. My first year with the boat I never used the heater so I decided it wasn't worth the extra step of bowing it out every year when I winterized.

roosevelt123
08-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Been there done that. Lee tutor is correct a barbed hose connector will keep your water circulating. After market cores are readily available. With a small core like yours it would cost more than it's worth to repair.

roosevelt123
08-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Sorry leetudor :mad: spellcheck

leetudor
08-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Sorry leetudor :mad: spellcheck

8-)..................

SuperSam
08-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Thanks guys disconnected and removed the core and plugged the lines. Hopefully now the boat can dry out better. So I got another issue though. Took the boat out to run today and seemed to not have the same amount of water which is good but was having engine troubles. Engine idles fine and runs in neutral fantastic but once I put her in gear and try to hit the throttle semi hard it will make a popping sound/backfire and choke out and die. I am thinking maybe I need to rebuild the carb but wanted to see what advice u guys had.

UKandH
08-03-2015, 02:49 AM
Yep, carb rebuild.

It is worth checking ign timing etc first though.