PDA

View Full Version : Transmission not engaging, please help!

onebadgt
08-02-2015, 04:43 PM
So I own a 2004 launch ssv, it is a very reliable boat but have a problem that developed today. We had been on the lake for a few hours wakeboarding and tubing without any issues and all at once the boat felt like it went into neutral while going 25mph. The boat will crank and run without issue but when i throttle forward or reverse it will just rev the motor and never engage. The shifter still feels normal and catches into neutral but will not engage forward or reverse. I checked the tranny fluid and it's good so I'm drawing a blank, anyone have any ideas?

Thank You!

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
My boat is an older supra so this I just a guess but on my tranny there is a pump in the front of that is plugged or not working that will cause the problem you're speaking of. Also this may sound stupid but check to see if the prop shaft is turning. If it is there's an issue with the prop. The pin on your prop may have sheered causing it to not move with your shaft.

CJD
08-02-2015, 05:57 PM
What cusefan said. After checking the prop, check the shift linkage at the tranny. The bracket may have worked loose.

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 05:59 PM
I was going to say check the bracket but even if it did work loose I doubt it would shift into neutral while moving. If that tranny is anything like mine the tranny pumps has a few small orings and when I took mine apart they looked pretty bad. If those orings go you want have any pressure in the tranny to engage the discs. My guess is the pump or the key for the prop. If the prop was changed they may have put a replacement key in there that wasn't stainless and it could have rotted away or sheared

onebadgt
08-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Guys I appreciate the advise! I will check both of those things!

I checked the tranny cable and it is still operating as it should when the throttle is moved so I think y'all are on to something. Weird thing is you would think it would start giving me trouble slipping etc not just go out all at once. If it is o-rings that need to be replaced, anyone know how in depth it is? Trying to figure out what a mechanic may charge.

Thanks again, if anyone eels has ideas don't hesitate to comment!

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
The rings aren't bad. But have to pull the tranny. If it's either of the things I mentioned they both would just go at once. If it was an issue with the discs you would have fwd or rev and you'll also have slipping. I'm not really sure how bad the v drive tranny is to take out. Easy test is to shift it into gear and see if the prop shaft turns

onebadgt
08-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Update...

So I just went outside and looked for any plugs that could possibly be missing in the tranny and found nothing. The transmission is very hard to see. I cranked the boat to see if the prop or prop shaft would spin And neither one did. Usually I can feel on the shifter when the tranny "clicks" into gear and it is not doing it except in neutral.

Something that scared me though. Since it happened today I have cranked the boat numerous times and tried it and the boat always sounded the same as it always has just didn't move. Just now when I cranked it I heard a loud clanking sound that sounded like a tin can shaking inside of the transmission. It did it for like 3 or 4 seconds and then sounded normal again. I'm am so scared of what this could possibly cost me!

2500HD
08-02-2015, 07:41 PM
could be the damper plate, the tin can sound could be one of the springs letting go and bouncing around.

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 07:44 PM
That could be the pump trying to push the discs together to engage into gear. Tranny needs to get pulled to figure out the issue. You're positive you have enough fluid in there and it's not leaking?! From the sound of it I still think the pump if you're positive the fluid is full.

onebadgt
08-02-2015, 07:50 PM
There is plenty of tranny fluid. I had a service done three weeks ago on it and checked the dipstick today, I'm guessing if the tranny will have to be pulled this will end up being a pretty costly repair and may end my boating season as well:(. Again I appreciate all the advise so I can share this stuff with the mechanic that looks at it.

Cusefan78
08-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Yeah sorry I can't help anymore I'm not all that familiar with v drives. Mechanic may have to pull the motor to get to the tranny. Hopefully it's not too costly. Good luck and keep us posted

CJD
08-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Clunking could still be a stripped prop or coupler. You'll have to look under the tranny to see the coupler and prop shaft. Then have someone put it in gear to see if the shaft turns. If no shaft motion at all, your problem is internal.

crystal waters
08-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a damper plate issue, boken springs or broken plate itself in which case regretably you will need to pull your tranny.

Had mine done several years ago at marine shop. All in was 600.00.