PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Supra Sunsport - Swim Platform dissatisfaction

andrem
08-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Hello Forum,

I own a 1989 Supra Sunsport. Overall love the boat. However my one gripe is that the swim platform (mine is fiberglass with stainless steel wrap around rail) does not stick out far enough. This is especially challenging because the stern of the boat comes outward from bottom to top. So you lose even more real estate vs. I see quite a few boats (non Supra) where their swim platform comes further out AND their stern goes inward from bottom to top.

I realize there is nothing I can do with the hull pattern, but I am looking for a good, compatible replacement (teak, fiberglass, whatever) that provides more platform realestate?? Has anyone embarked down this path before? Would love to see/hear what you found and/or did to correct this challenge. Thanks very much.

michael hunter
08-03-2015, 08:24 AM
I have the same boat and you are right the platform only has about one foot of usable space. Not good for wakeboards but when that boat was built there were no wakeboards. The only thing you can do is build your own platform out of wood. Teak will cost you over 500 in just material . I built one for a buddy's Supreme out of African Mahogany. Make sure you check the bracket bolts in the hull before you add length to the platform.

ckracing
08-04-2015, 01:02 AM
I added a piece of Sapele closer to transom and kept my teak platform. I added braces (teak) down the middle underside flanking the center bracket. I liked the way it looked, it gained me more real estate, but ultimately I removed because of flex when you stood towards the end of the platform.

To do this right you need to extend, reengineer or make build new brackets to handle the additional length and weight away from the mounts thru the hull. Search Sapele on the forum and you should find a picture.

trayson
08-04-2015, 02:58 PM
I made my own custom platform out of HDPE so that it wouldn't interfere with my surf wave. I chose to lengthen it while decreasing the width at the corners. Getting a new OEM surf platform would be well into the $1k mark. That wasn't an option for me. I chose 3/4" HDPE which was okay, but has bowed down a little in the center over time (maybe just 1/4") because my boat doesn't have a center brace on the platform.

1" would have been undoubtedly better, but the price differential was a lot so 3/4 will have to do. I put hydroturf on top of the HDPE. works awesome.

andrem
08-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Thank you all for your prompt replies. I have a good understanding of what my options are now. For me it comes down to budget, I don't want to sink a lot of money into the swim platform. I was hoping for a cheaper option. Good news is that my family and I will still go out and enjoy the boat. Thanks again for all your input.

chris young
08-13-2015, 09:12 AM
One thing to keep in mind if you're building out the platform, your transom needs to be in tip top shape. The leverage you get just by adding 6" is pretty significant, and if you haven't repaired it yet, the plywood sandwiched in the transom to support the platform is probably rotten, or at least beginning to rot. It's not a big job, but I wouldn't consider any extra weight on it unless you knew that the transom was 100%