PDA

View Full Version : 2016 SA - Thoughts?

SquamInboards
08-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Check the supraboats home page - new video of the 2016 SA has been posted. Thoughts?

Here are mine:

I like the storage at the transom, that's cool. Seating is great. Steering wheel controls - it's about time. The rest of the stuff? In my opinion, it's kinda just catching up with the industry at this point. Surf systems, auto-ballast, touch screen dash, integrated cameras...

However, I don't even like digital gauges. I'm stuck in the 90's for boat tech. So... all the new technology in these newer boats? I'm not sure I'll ever own one. The future (20 years from now) terrifies me as these things age, and proprietary stuff wears out and malfunctions. But I'm not getting out my tinfoil hat just yet. I'll try to keep an open mind. It's all pretty damn cool when it works! And those who can afford a brand-new boat like this, they can afford to have it maintained properly (or at least they should!)

I can't make up my mind on the style; maybe I'm just boring. I generally don't like any of the newer boats with the square-ish bow, from any company. But I do have to say, it looks cool being towed behind a matching Raptor. And being powered by a Raptor engine - I didn't miss that detail.

Would I take one? Yup. But I'd have to move because it wouldn't fit at my dock, haha.

cjtpilot
08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
This boat is just sick! After talking with an engineer Sat at the Pro Wake board Tour, I am even more impressed with SC boats. seats 17 I think and can still hold 3200lbs ballast! I really like the way Supra thinks, quality never sacrificed over quantity. Unfortunately there is noway I can afford a boat that costs as much as a house or I would have ordered one today.

Jetlink
08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Having to hunt through the consumer side of the website looking for what I consider pertinent details of the boat first are a pain. I was trying to find basic info like, empty weight, length, beam, draft and capacity stuff but after looking for five minutes had enough and went on to something else...Adult ADD for the win again on that one I guess.

Mobius22
08-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Check the supraboats home page - new video of the 2016 SA has been posted. Thoughts?

Here are mine:

I like the storage at the transom, that's cool. Seating is great. Steering wheel controls - it's about time. The rest of the stuff? In my opinion, it's kinda just catching up with the industry at this point. Surf systems, auto-ballast, touch screen dash, integrated cameras....

Only thing that they didn't have last year from that list is the integrated camera, so I guess you're saying they caught up last year? They've had swell surf for two years now and the touch screen dash for about that long. Not sure what you mean by auto-ballast but the Vision dash has had pre-sets for ballast settings for about 4-5 years now.

MJHKnox
08-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Watch out. Don't question Mobius22, that boy is like an encyclopedia for wake boats.

Anyone mention the list price with the std motor?
What is the price bump from 2015?

Looks damn cool to me . . . . I'm sure it will throw down the wakes for surfing or boarding.
Looking forward to checking out the interior in person.

M-

Mobius22
08-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Sorry if that came off wrong, just wanted to make sure everyone knew that those features had been around for a bit.

Zim
08-04-2015, 11:13 AM
I think the boat is sweet. I'd buy one if I had the cash.

The lack of excitement for the new boats on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I guess if you can't repair stringers on it, it gets no love here.

Aaron187
08-04-2015, 12:39 PM
It looks like they made updates to the other boats too, just not as significant...other boats look like they include: surf2, smart plate 2, launch system and liquid lead ballast.

Mobius22
08-04-2015, 12:56 PM
It looks like they made updates to the other boats too, just not as significant...other boats look like they include: surf2, smart plate 2, launch system and liquid lead ballast.

I think they all get the rear-view camera, and possibly the new steering wheel as well.

Mobius22
08-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Watch out. Don't question Mobius22, that boy is like an encyclopedia for wake boats.

Anyone mention the list price with the std motor?
What is the price bump from 2015?

Looks damn cool to me . . . . I'm sure it will throw down the wakes for surfing or boarding.
Looking forward to checking out the interior in person.

M-

I'm sure Premier Watersports in Knox can give you the base pricing. As to the price bump on the SA, it's a whole new boat so I wouldn't try to compare it to the old one. It's apples and oranges now since it's so much deeper

MJHKnox
08-04-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm sure Premier Watersports in Knox can give you the base pricing. As to the price bump on the SA, it's a whole new boat so I wouldn't try to compare it to the old one. It's apples and oranges now since it's so much deeper

Deeper is a good thing on that model.

Mobius22
08-04-2015, 08:44 PM
For sure and it definitely is. I would even say G territory on just how deep

Jetlink
08-04-2015, 11:08 PM

The lack of excitement for the new boats on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I guess if you can't repair stringers on it, it gets no love here.

I wouldn't quite go that far. Excited about a new boat? More excited about strides and improvements that make the sport better but not at the sacrifice of making entry more difficult than it already is. The boats being built today won't even became available to me for another 10 years or more because a boat is a toy and I will never have a toy if it requires a monthly payment because then it is no longer a toy to me.

And who knows how all these new electronics and gadgets are going to hold up to the test of time? I look at all the old Douglas airplanes still running around like they rolled off the factory yesterday and then I see newer airplanes already being scrapped because the cost to maintain them and repair/replace parts is cost prohibitive.

Wulphie
08-05-2015, 05:51 AM
When I look at the boat objectively there really are not many things on it I would rather have than what my old azz pirata has lol. Part of me would like the engine but then I think there are to many things that can go wrong and they are to expensive to fix. I will just stick with the simple old carbed 454 that still starts with the bump of a key lol. The power trim and wake plate are the only things I would really like on my old boat and I will add them over the winter.

As the old saying goes "there is a azz for every seat" so it is cool that they are building something that some people will want, it is just not what I would want.

To me a boat is a tool that I need to ski and wakeboard. I don't care how many gadgets it has. I want the engine to start, I want it to drive well and I don't want it to leak water and that is all lol.

SquamInboards
08-06-2015, 09:17 AM

I think the same is true of any enthusiast community - there's always a mixed reaction to a newer/better/inevitably more complicated thing, when we put so much effort and care into our older machines. I'm guilty of it. My brain is also programmed to a certain way of thinking based on my financial reality. It's hard to get all that excited about something I can't possibly afford in the foreseeable future. I should be more open-minded, though, and get excited about the advances in the industry.

I'm also the type who, even if I won the lottery tomorrow, wouldn't go buy a new boat or a new car. Maybe it's partly where I live, where people really don't show off their money. Those who do, everyone knows who they are, and not in a good way.

Zim
08-06-2015, 09:48 AM
I think the same is true of any enthusiast community - there's always a mixed reaction to a newer/better/inevitably more complicated thing, when we put so much effort and care into our older machines. I'm guilty of it. My brain is also programmed to a certain way of thinking based on my financial reality. It's hard to get all that excited about something I can't possibly afford in the foreseeable future. I should be more open-minded, though, and get excited about the advances in the industry.

I'm also the type who, even if I won the lottery tomorrow, wouldn't go buy a new boat or a new car. Maybe it's partly where I live, where people really don't show off their money. Those who do, everyone knows who they are, and not in a good way.

I don't really look at it as showing off your money. I can't afford a brand new SA either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't excite me. Companies have to put out new boats every year for there to be used boats to think about in the future. It also gives great ideas to work into your own boat. Surf board storage, surf system designs, all those advancements are cool to see on all of these new boats. Sure, they're expensive, but that doesn't mean everyone that goes and buys these things is foregoing their financial stability to have an overpriced toy in their garage. Some do, and those that do, more power to them to do what they want to do, but some actually enjoy having something "new" for personal satisfaction and enjoyment.

Is it fun to have the latest and greatest that everyone comments on? Sure. I think, however, it would be more fun to have a machine that does everything you want it to do, in the most convenient way possible, if it's attainable to you. That's how I look at it... and while I can't afford one of these now, it gives me great ideas of how to potentially fabricate my own DIY swell type of system using tabs, or how to retrofit some kind of surf pockets on a bimini for storage there, or whatever the case may be. Plus, it's the brand we all love... we should all be jumping for joy that Supra, and SC in general, are making strives to be one of the big, top tier, no BS manufacturers of towboats these days. Sure they're expensive, but they're also a top brand recently, and their boats are making a serious impression on the wake industry as a whole IMO. There's lots of MC haters, and Malibu haters, and haters of one brand or another. I feel like it's super rare to hear... "Yeah, those Supra's are terrible", because they're not. They're making great boats, have just released and incredible new product, and there were like 5 total posts about it after a solid 2-3 days of its release on it's home forum. Just strikes me as odd.

We might think spending that kind of cash on a toy is stupid, it might be. But then there's others that also think buying a $4k dollar boat with rotted strings and no interior is stupid too, especially after dumping 10-15k into it, only to have a boat worth 10-12k max afterwards. Seems like you could find a nice boat about 15 years newer in the 20-25k range and still have spent about the same amount of money overall after it's all said and done.

Just a difference in opinions I guess.

MJHKnox
08-07-2015, 02:46 PM

+1 . . . . I'm guessing one of the reasons this forum is not getting much love is TapTalk not working.
Most of the new boats guys are over on the Moomba site.

M-

rdlangston13
08-08-2015, 11:59 AM
+1 . . . . I'm guessing one of the reasons this forum is not getting much love is TapTalk not working.
Most of the new boats guys are over on the Moomba site.

M-

This. The Moomba forum is where people who's boats are not of drinking age go to post. It really sucks for newer Supra owners that this thread is so dead. We have an annual Texas Moomba/Supra Jam and usually have about 20-30 boats attend and its usually a pretty even split between Moomba and Supra and the Moomba forum thread on the event gets a lot of attention. Here no one posts on it and I am guessing it's because the Supras that attend are not carbureted with rebuilt wooden stringers lol

TinMan
08-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Well I think the new SA is pretty cool looking. When I was looking for a new boat(Late 2013) it was between the SA and SC. I chose the SC over the SA mainly for the reason that the SC had a much higher freeboard. If you were a rookie driving an SA, more than likely you will dunk that bow. Love the fact that Supra changed the SA and gave it a much needed higher freeboard.

cadunkle
08-10-2015, 09:25 AM
It's ugly. Not hideous as many new boats are, but thoroughly ugly. The bow is goofy, the tower is goofy (dislike two leg towers, seem weak and look weird), the gel schemes are ugly (maybe needs more skulls?), the cap comes down far with a goofy location for rub rail/seam.

The dash looks about a hair shy of useless. Goofy exhaust. Small engine. Electronics and computers in critical systems.

I'm sure it's a great boat in the utilitarian sense so long as you aren't the type to keep things long enough for things to break or wear out.

Mobius22
08-10-2015, 12:40 PM
It's ugly. Not hideous as many new boats are, but thoroughly ugly. The bow is goofy, the tower is goofy (dislike two leg towers, seem weak and look weird), the gel schemes are ugly (maybe needs more skulls?), the cap comes down far with a goofy location for rub rail/seam.

The dash looks about a hair shy of useless. Goofy exhaust. Small engine. Electronics and computers in critical systems.

I'm sure it's a great boat in the utilitarian sense so long as you aren't the type to keep things long enough for things to break or wear out.

I honestly don't think we're looking at the same boat

TinMan
08-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Wow! Small engine? What's so small about a Raptor 440?

cadunkle
08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
I honestly don't think we're looking at the same boat

The one I'm commenting on is listed as "2016 SA 400-550" at the top of the page. i also noticed other things I dislike, such as buttons of the steering wheel and a goofy seat base/pedestal (maybe it has some purpose or storage?).

Wow! Small engine? What's so small about a Raptor 440?

440? I thought it was 379 cubic inches. That's why I said small, as opposed to tiny.

MJHKnox
08-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Comparing to the 80s or 90s 454s?

Mobius22
08-10-2015, 07:33 PM
The one I'm commenting on is listed as "2016 SA 400-550" at the top of the page. i also noticed other things I dislike, such as buttons of the steering wheel and a goofy seat base/pedestal (maybe it has some purpose or storage?).

440? I thought it was 379 cubic inches. That's why I said small, as opposed to tiny.

The "goofy" seat base is to house the mechanism for it be electrically height adjustable. And the steering wheel buttons control the stereo and surf system without having to take your hands off the wheel.

The engine is from a Ford Raptor, I wouldn't call it small

Wulphie
08-10-2015, 07:50 PM

I looked at the pictures again and do you know whats interesting? The profile of the boat is very similar to a old glastron tri-hull. I wonder if they did that on purpose?

MJHKnox
08-10-2015, 10:07 PM
This boat?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/f6bf2b450e4640c4887110688994fe47.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/5776874e83c404fad0c383ae1bdee305.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wotan2525
08-11-2015, 10:57 AM
I can't tell who's being serious on this thread and who's being a troll. I think the boat is gorgeous and although I would worry about buying a used one in 10 years with all of the electronics that could be (and will be) failing at some point..... If I was in the market for a new boat, with a warranty, this would certainly be one I would look at. I think Supra is really killing it right now with their new boats.

Zim
08-11-2015, 11:11 AM
You know what else people really hated when implemented in a boat? Fuel injection. "Oh but carbs are so simple and easy to work on with no computers and such". I wouldn't ever look at a boat with a carb again.

Tims
08-11-2015, 03:52 PM
People that hate the new looks and complain about the technology crack me up. You guys belong in the balcony with the old guys from the Muppets. As stated above, FI was the end of the world but everyone has it now. And by the way, gauges are electronic and have been for quite awhile. Where is the outrage?? At least supra has redundancy built into their system with back up switches.

And as for the looks, guess what, it makes the boat practical. You put 7 or 8 people in the boat and you will really appreciate the big bow and wide beam. What to surf a really fun wave wave? Just press a button and in 10 minutes you are surfing a killer wave without bags, listing, and chilly dipping the bow. The Roswell tower is the best in the industry and ROCK SOLID. Never a rattle. I guess some folks like their boat to look like a phallic symbol. Whatever, I will take function over form.

Engine size???? Bahahahah. The Ford 6.2 has as much torque as the old BB chevy and provides it burning less gas and without killing passengers breathing fumes on the swim step. Who cares if it has smaller displacement??

You can have you narrow, low freeboard, wood stringer boat with fat sacks everywhere and while you are replacing stringers and rebuilding carbs, I will be out on the water.

Wulphie
08-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I can't tell who's being serious on this thread and who's being a troll. I think the boat is gorgeous and although I would worry about buying a used one in 10 years with all of the electronics that could be (and will be) failing at some point..... If I was in the market for a new boat, with a warranty, this would certainly be one I would look at. I think Supra is really killing it right now with their new boats.

I am being serious when I say I don't find the boat interesting at all. But to be fair I don't find any of the new boats interesting and I don't even find the boats I own all that interesting.

I love the water, I love skiing and wakeboarding with friends, I love throwing the anchor and hanging with my girlfriend and drinking, swimming etc. but the boat itself I don't really care about.

But I am 46 and I want to retire before I am 55 so having a fancy boat is not my priority. Having fun is.

As I said in a previous post I think it is cool they make these things for the people that do think having a fancy boat is important it is just not me or the crew I ski with.

cadunkle
08-11-2015, 06:30 PM
People that hate the new looks and complain about the technology crack me up. You guys belong in the balcony with the old guys from the Muppets. As stated above, FI was the end of the world but everyone has it now.

I have 5 vehicles, none are EFI. One is fuel injected but it is entirely mechanical. All my vehicles are simple, reliable, and affordable so far as initial purchase and maintenance.

And by the way, gauges are electronic and have been for quite awhile. Where is the outrage?? At least supra has redundancy built into their system with back up switches.

Gauges on my '89 are electronic, as are most gauges on boats going back a decade or two prior. Electronic gauges have indeed been around for a while, though I see a lot fewer on the new SA than on any boat I've ever owned, which makes the dash a lot less useful and less intuitive.

And as for the looks, guess what, it makes the boat practical. You put 7 or 8 people in the boat and you will really appreciate the big bow and wide beam. What to surf a really fun wave wave? Just press a button and in 10 minutes you are surfing a killer wave without bags, listing, and chilly dipping the bow. The Roswell tower is the best in the industry and ROCK SOLID. Never a rattle.

I did say it's a great boat in the utilitarian sense, if not the longevity or timeless sense. Out of the box awesome wake, quick ballast changes, roomy, etc..

Engine size???? Bahahahah. The Ford 6.2 has as much torque as the old BB chevy and provides it burning less gas and without killing passengers breathing fumes on the swim step. Who cares if it has smaller displacement??

Peak HP and torque at what RPM? Dyno sheet? Back up your assertions, because I don't know the HP and torque curves of the wee overhead cam engine as configured in this boat. I do know that a 460 based engine will fit anywhere a 4.6 will and take up less space. 454 based engines are fairly similar in size to a 385 series. I doubt the 6.2 torque curve compares well to a 385 series or BBC built for torque. Who are all these people dying on the swim step? Do they sit down and linger with the engine running? I'm not aware of any epidemic past or present.

You can have you narrow, low freeboard, wood stringer boat with fat sacks everywhere and while you are replacing stringers and rebuilding carbs, I will be out on the water.

My Saltare is not particularly narrow nor does the freeboard seem particularly low. Stringers and sacks are what they are. Replacing stringers is a once in a lifetime job though, and if I ever need to do mine it'll be done in composite so not only once in my lifetime but whoever else owns it next as well. Rebuilding carbs has never kept me off the water, my carbs (on all my vehicles) tend to just plain work, and a rebuild on any newly acquired vehicle is cheap, quick, and easy.

Like Wulphie I value my time on the water and would prefer not to work forever (though I do enjoy the look/feel/style of classic boats, and cars/bikes too). You can have your $100k+ boat, while you're stuck at work I'll be out on the water in my old tub enjoying early retirement.

Tims
08-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Classic...... Attack my financial status/decisions.

Whatever, at least when the EMP hits your cars and boat will still work. (Assuming they have points) You got me there. ;)

See torque specification below for the puny 6.2 ford. Easily beats out a standard marine 454 if you look at peak torque. Sure you can hop up an old BB chevy but then you can choose the 575 pound feet of tq supercharged ford. To add, the 6.2 engine is superior in almost every way to the ancient BB chevy. Cross bolted mains, oil cooled pistons, superior valve train, superior air flow, superior efficiency, won't leak oil everywhere. You can put 3000 hours on this engine with all your maintenance costs being a few sets of spark plugs and oil changes.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/Timschneller/Marine_Power_454_Charts_zps7ehpsj92.jpg

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/Timschneller/picture_php_pictureid_60378_9f788a8cf03718db30fb98 dfec60ff86f6111534_zps8wwf0yeh.jpg

And here is cool video of what the 6.2 low end is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeaJe4Hb6Q

MJHKnox
08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
I was at the SC factory today for a tour. They were building a lot of the new SA models. No secret there.
I'm assuming the dealers are looking for the 'new demo boat' to raise interest.

If you stay with no changes on models, you do not get interest in the wake boat community.
Ski Boats > then Wakeboard Boats > now the focus is Surf Boats
The 'buzz' is always about the new boat. New model. Thus, new sales. It's all about market share.

Maybe someday SC will use a retro-look. The older-look with new-technology-boat.

Donzi did it on their speed boats. That Sweet-16 model sold year-after-year.
Classic look, but it still got upgraded with motors/EFI and the new tech and drive systems.

Mark

cadunkle
08-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Classic perhaps, but very relevant so far as value in the context of comparing boats. I don't know your financial situation, maybe you make deep six (or seven) figures and paid cash, meaning a new boat is a trivial purchase that doesn't affect your financial goals, or maybe you earn a closer to median income, borrow money for a new boat, and are content to postpone retirement... Or somewhere inbetween. I think the financial aspect is very relevant in the context of discussing the performance, merits, and value of a $100k+ boat. No attack meant, but my observation is most guys on inboard/watersports forums are well above median income but not rich. For most, a $100k boat is not the route to early retirement and more time on the water. A classic comment, in the sarcastic sense as I suspect you meant, would be your comments about phallic symbols, exhaust killing passengers, etc.I guess my old tub is a phallic symbol? Would my 45 year odl bike that is beautifully restored after much blood and sweat also be a phallic symbol? Or maybe it just kills passengers from the exhaust? Guess I should have just ran out and bought a brand new crotch rocket, silly me for enjoying vintage vehicles...

Those are alright torque numbers for a smaller engine, particularly overhead cam. The only impressive number is the supercharged number. Lots of area under the curve and torque coming on strong early like a larger engine. Forced induction means more expense and more components to fail. What do each of these engines cost from Indmar? How do they compare to prices for a comparable BBC or BBF? I'd wager for what that 6.2 costs you could have significantly more HP and torque from a more simple reliable engine. Also, generally the less HP per cubic inch the more longevity from an engine. I'm not a pro on the BBC, I've never built one but I have worked on plenty of them. The Ford 385 series is a superior platform: taller deck heigh, more crank to cam centerline clearance, better oil drainback, larger head bolts with blind holes, larger bore spacing, more block clearance at crank throws for strokers, etc... Heck you can make around 700 HP with factory crank and ported heads. Dollar for dollar I'd wager you can get a lot more HP from a 385 series, or even a BBC, than whatever the price tag is on that supercharged 6.2

Cross bolted mains are nice, but unnecessary in a robust 460 block in a low RPM marine application. 4 bolt main caps are cheap and won't cost a fortune for your machinist to install, if you're spinning it to the moon. Girdles are also available. I'd imagine similar applies to the BBC. Bottom end strength is not an issue on big blocks until you get to high RPM trying to squeeze massive power out of them. I'd wager the 6.2 has cross bolted mains from the need to turn higher RPM to get big block power out of a smaller engine, and forced induction, essentially virtual displacement, which raises cylinder pressures. Great, but not necessary when starting with a more robust larger displacement engine.

Jetlink
08-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Now why did you have to go bring sense into this discussion dude?

Wulphie
08-14-2015, 05:54 AM
In regards to the 6.2, I can say the one in my new F-350 runs great. This is the first gas powered truck I have owned. The previous f-350s I have owned were diesel but I will never go back to diesel. The cost of fuel and increased maintenance on the new diesels just isn't worth it with the performance of the new 6.2. Leaving the supply yard with a ton of sand and 10 bags of cement in the back the performance is very similar to my 02 7.3, climbs the hill at the same speed shifting between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I will say that some of that is the transmission of the new truck, it has more gears to choose from. I will also say that when you floor it and it does rev to 6,000 it sounds a little scary lol, not as smooth as the little v-8 in my benz haha.

Tims
08-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Classic perhaps, but very relevant so far as value in the context of comparing boats. I don't know your financial situation, maybe you make deep six (or seven) figures and paid cash, meaning a new boat is a trivial purchase that doesn't affect your financial goals, or maybe you earn a closer to median income, borrow money for a new boat, and are content to postpone retirement... Or somewhere inbetween. I think the financial aspect is very relevant in the context of discussing the performance, merits, and value of a $100k+ boat. No attack meant, but my observation is most guys on inboard/watersports forums are well above median income but not rich. For most, a $100k boat is not the route to early retirement and more time on the water. A classic comment, in the sarcastic sense as I suspect you meant, would be your comments about phallic symbols, exhaust killing passengers, etc.I guess my old tub is a phallic symbol? Would my 45 year odl bike that is beautifully restored after much blood and sweat also be a phallic symbol? Or maybe it just kills passengers from the exhaust? Guess I should have just ran out and bought a brand new crotch rocket, silly me for enjoying vintage vehicles...

Those are alright torque numbers for a smaller engine, particularly overhead cam. The only impressive number is the supercharged number. Lots of area under the curve and torque coming on strong early like a larger engine. Forced induction means more expense and more components to fail. What do each of these engines cost from Indmar? How do they compare to prices for a comparable BBC or BBF? I'd wager for what that 6.2 costs you could have significantly more HP and torque from a more simple reliable engine. Also, generally the less HP per cubic inch the more longevity from an engine. I'm not a pro on the BBC, I've never built one but I have worked on plenty of them. The Ford 385 series is a superior platform: taller deck heigh, more crank to cam centerline clearance, better oil drainback, larger head bolts with blind holes, larger bore spacing, more block clearance at crank throws for strokers, etc... Heck you can make around 700 HP with factory crank and ported heads. Dollar for dollar I'd wager you can get a lot more HP from a 385 series, or even a BBC, than whatever the price tag is on that supercharged 6.2

Cross bolted mains are nice, but unnecessary in a robust 460 block in a low RPM marine application. 4 bolt main caps are cheap and won't cost a fortune for your machinist to install, if you're spinning it to the moon. Girdles are also available. I'd imagine similar applies to the BBC. Bottom end strength is not an issue on big blocks until you get to high RPM trying to squeeze massive power out of them. I'd wager the 6.2 has cross bolted mains from the need to turn higher RPM to get big block power out of a smaller engine, and forced induction, essentially virtual displacement, which raises cylinder pressures. Great, but not necessary when starting with a more robust larger displacement engine.

Goodness.

My comments about phallic symbols and such were meant in jest, but do speak to the crowd that comes on here and bashes every new boat because they are shaped differently and cost more than some 30 year old boat that they purchased. I would at least ride in one before I formulated a negative opinion. The new boat bashing on here is one of the reasons why the forum is pretty much dead and most of the Supra guys with newer boats are on the Moomba forum where they don't have to be scolded for their decision. But hey, that is why we have choices in life.

Yes the new boats are expensive now, but there plenty of ways to own one without being rich and postponing your retirement. I have owned 3 late model boats in the last 5 years and made money on 2 of them. All while enjoying lots of time on the water at an age where I can still ride behind them.

Your comments about making power with old BB chevy's and ford's are true but I don't understand how they are relevant in new boats. Besides, the LARGE majority of upper middle class folks don't have time to mess around buying old boats and trying to get them to perform like a modern one. I believe that my original point is still valid. The new 6.2 ford outperforms an old STOCK marine 460 / 454 BB in almost every way. Furthermore, the old engines are not even made anymore as they would never meet CARB standards that the boat builders have to satisfy if they want to sell their product in one of the biggest markets in the country.

The market will continue to drive the direction and price of the new boats. Lucky for the v-drive builders, they have been stealing market share from the I/O crowd and doing just fine. If there was a market for old style, direct drive boats someone would be building them.

lmnelson86
08-14-2015, 02:58 PM
The new SA is awesome! I wish it was more affordable and I made a bunch more money. I would love to have one. Unfortunately its not in the cards for me at this point...but I love it!

MJHKnox
08-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Goodness.

Yes the new boats are expensive now, but there plenty of ways to own one without being rich and postponing your retirement. I have owned 3 late model boats in the last 5 years and made money on 2 of them. All while enjoying lots of time on the water at an age where I can still ride behind them.

What make/year boats are you selling and making $$$ on?
3 boats in 5 years - are you purchasing newer models each time?
Are you upgrading any equipment in those or get getting them at the right price?

Just wondering . . .

Mark

cadunkle
08-15-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm sure the wake is awesome and the convenience of built in ballast and quickly switching config for riders or activity is nice. I have said from a utilitarian perspective I'm sure it's great. Now if instead of riding behind one I had to repair one, I'd probably be fairly irritated at the unnecessary complexity. Riding in one, as opposed to behind one, I'd imagine would be comparable to my 26 year old boat. I'm sure I'd find the drive by wire irritating along with the lack of gauges and other nuisances but it's a boat, similar enough to any other large inboard.

Maybe you have the time to figure out ways to (hopefully) break even or make money on buying a brand new boat but I don't, and I'd imagine most people do not. Enlighten us as to how I can profit from buying a brand new boat every 20 months or so. Not that I would do that, I prefer to buy something I like and keep it for somewhere betweena long time and forever. Changing boats every year or two would be annoying and stressful for me, and I don't have the time to deal with the hassle. As an early retirement type interested in finances and investments, I'm curious.

Don't have time but have $100k+ to drop on a boat? Sounds like an easy solution. $$5k-$10k buys you a nice older inboard. $15k buys you a 700+ HP engine, and a couple grand for a trans. Another $6k for a stringer job with composite material. A few grand for upholstery and interior. That's maybe $30k-ish for a much more simple and reliable boat with a fairly minimal investment of time to outsource everything and define goals. You can even build in some ballast to switches on the dash or put a wedge on them. Not gonna compare to some new boats with instafill 4000 lbs but personally I'd not at the level to use that. It's awesome, but not worth $100k to me. You can buy brand new 460 and 454 blocks, heads, cranks, etc., they are still made. You can buy them off the shelf with a phone call for a 500+ HP package. CARB is irrelevant if you throwing it in a hull not going to California. Catalytic converters are a bolt on deal but irrelevant for a hull more than a couple years old... And while I've been harassed by police and coast guard a time or two for a general inspection and safety equipment, none have ever been concerned with checking emissions equipment. If you can afford to write a check and buy a $100k+ SA you can afford to write a check for a boat with far more power.

Those that enjoy classic boats (and cars, bikes, trucks, etc.) are a minority and a more close knit group. Start a thread asking for opinions on new stuff and I give my opinion. The masses want to have a payment forever and change boats (or other vehicles) as often as I change underwear. I think it's silly, but it's profitable so that market is catered to. Nothing against the fancy new electronic boats, they're pretty nice, but just not for me.

Zim
08-17-2015, 03:57 PM
DBW irritating? You don't like smooth throttle control? What's irritating about that?

Also, these new boats have all the gauges as the old ones. The difference is they combine 3 gauges in one rather than having 6 or 8 gauges all over the place. Both the tach and speedo have other gauges built into them for stuff like oil pressure, temp, etc. Voltage is usually indicated right on the screen now, and hours are integrated into screens as well. There's no need for 10 gauges all over the place when you can put them all in easy view. Even my boat with like 9 gauges on it is annoying, because I'm never able to see my oil pressure or fuel level if im staring at my tach/speedo.

The fewer the gauges the better IMO.

cadunkle
08-17-2015, 06:00 PM
In my experior more like sluggish and twitchy throttle control. Cables don't have lag, cables don't hold the IAC open to maintain RPM when snapping throttle closed, slowly opening the throttle when I put it wide open, or any other insanities that are either flaws or designed into the system. I like smooth and instant throttle control, hence why I prefer a mechanical linkage. No I've never driven a 2016 Indmar 6.2, but I have driven several DBW vehicles and hated every one of them.

Any pics of the multipurpose gauges? I'm not seeing what you're referring to in the only pic I could find...

http://www.supraboats.com/sites/default/files/2016_supra_sg-0155_2.jpg

And another dash pic at wider angle. I still only see tach, speedometer, fuel level, and wake plate position. Where is oil pressure and engine temperature at minimum? Hobbs, depth? Does a $100k boat really not come with those? I will add that I think those either pushbutton or toggle switches with the lighted ends are pretty slick.

http://www.supraboats.com/sites/default/files/six6036_6888-2.jpg

Zim
08-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Those are the gauges I was referring to. They must have integrated the vitals into the screen now. I've just seen pictures of those multi-guages.

Tims
08-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Bought a 2011 Malibu VTX. Put 100 hours on it and sold it for 2 grand more than I paid for it the following spring.
Then bought a 2012 Malibu VLX. Put around 150 hours on it and broke even.
Now in a 2014 Supra SC but don't have any plans on selling yet. Might poke around next spring.

There is no secret formula and certainly not a wise investment strategy, but if you time the purchase, squeeze on the front end deal and take care of the boat, you stand a very good chance of getting most of your money back. I attribute this to the year over year substantial price increases on the new models. Also helps that I use dealers close to the factories.

Will it always stay this way? Probably not. For me, all things considered, I have got to enjoy new boats for a relatively low cost. Certainly has not affected my retirement strategy.

MJHKnox
08-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Bought a 2011 Malibu VTX. Put 100 hours on it and sold it for 2 grand more than I paid for it the following spring.
Then bought a 2012 Malibu VLX. Put around 150 hours on it and broke even.
Now in a 2014 Supra SC but don't have any plans on selling yet. Might poke around next spring.

There is no secret formula and certainly not a wise investment strategy, but if you time the purchase, squeeze on the front end deal and take care of the boat, you stand a very good chance of getting most of your money back. I attribute this to the year over year substantial price increases on the new models. Also helps that I use dealers close to the factories.

Will it always stay this way? Probably not. For me, all things considered, I have got to enjoy new boats for a relatively low cost. Certainly has not affected my retirement strategy.

I agree with the spending the time on the front-end. My first boat was sold 2K over what I paid for it. Used it for 2 seasons.

There will be the hold-over 2015 boats when the 2016 boats are being pushed as new.
During this past boat-show season, as the show displayed 2015 boats, there were new 2014 models still at the dealers.

What motor does your SC have?

M-

BamaMojo
08-19-2015, 09:43 PM
I am waiting for a demo from my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tims
08-20-2015, 09:41 AM
I agree with the spending the time on the front-end. My first boat was sold 2K over what I paid for it. Used it for 2 seasons.

There will be the hold-over 2015 boats when the 2016 boats are being pushed as new.
During this past boat-show season, as the show displayed 2015 boats, there were new 2014 models still at the dealers.

What motor does your SC have?

M-

It has the LS3

jclimie
08-21-2015, 09:42 PM
16330Was able to take out the new SA550 out yesterday and it may have been the best surf wake I have seen in a long time.16328

jclimie
08-21-2015, 09:46 PM
http://youtu.be/fk8tmzaUoUQ
Sorry for music choice.

Mobius22
08-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Great colors! Looks sick