PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lockout cap?

Yuri
08-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Ok, so my 5 year old has lost the D-key for the surge brakes on my Pirata trailer this weekend.(For whatever reason he thought he needed to take it fishing on our other boat.) Anyway, in looking for a replacement I came across a UFP trailer lockout mechanism that replaces the plastic cap on the trailer tongue that you can spin to lockout and unlock the brakes for backing. Have any of you guys any experience with these? I've gotten mixed reviews for them.

trayson
08-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Ok, so my 5 year old has lost the D-key for the surge brakes on my Pirata trailer this weekend.(For whatever reason he thought he needed to take it fishing on our other boat.) Anyway, in looking for a replacement I came across a UFP trailer lockout mechanism that replaces the plastic cap on the trailer tongue that you can spin to lockout and unlock the brakes for backing. Have any of you guys any experience with these? I've gotten mixed reviews for them.

I needed a cap for mine, so I got the lockout cap. I think I got it off amazon.com

I have honestly never really used is because when my tow vehicle goes into reverse, that 12v+ signal goes through my trailer harness and does the lockout without me needing to do anything. so the lockout key or cap are honestly only a backup feature if I had to back uphill and my trailer wiring wasn't working as it should.

Yuri
08-04-2015, 09:35 PM
I only have a 4-way flat on my trailer. Is there a 5th hiding someplace? Where would I start to try and run another if has been taken/torn out?

michael hunter
08-05-2015, 09:25 AM
A 1/2'' nut is about 3/4'' outside and fits perfect in the lockout slot . A little tape and you are good to go in a pinch.

pridekit
08-06-2015, 12:07 AM
The lockout cap works great for me, when I remember to set it :D

Before the cap, I used a nickel and had someone back the truck up VERY slowly until the nickel was wedged in.

Trayson, is the 12v+ lockout standard on the UFP breaking systems?

Yuri
08-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Well its only a whole $15 bucks, so Im going to go ahead and get one. My trailer still looks really good, so I dont want to rig anything.....yes my OCD controls me. Plus I hate fooling with that stupid key that gets stuck all the time. (nothing wrong with rigging in most cases) I just read a few reviews on that cap that said some kept popping out.