PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and first time boat buyer! 84 supra rider.

SupraSki84
08-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Hello all, please excuse me if this is a "repost" or is an existing thread already. I'm new to forums really, and just signed up to look for advice! I have a 06 ninja zx10 street bike with 18k miles I have been trying to trade a boat for. I've wakeboarded my whole life only behind a old old sea nympth with mercury 40 horse. I wanted to trade my bike for a ski boat. Offered on over 75 boats. Had little luck at first. Finally I had set up to trade plus 1000$ for a 89 Chris craft limited 225 in excellent shape with a brand new replacement 5.7 mrrcruiser and omc cobra out drive with 3 year warranty. It is a little big for what I wanted and was worried about seating. However without being "loaded" the warranty sounded great for no worry about repairs for drive system. But I changed my mind with too much worry about size and gas guzzling, when I got an offer for even trade for a 84 supra rider.. Perfect! However, it supposedly has only 185 hours on the ford 351 inboard system. New riser gaskets beginning of this season. Last year ask new plywood floor and supposedly inner stringers were good and outers replaced. Just a grey "carpet" put over it. The cushions are in decent shape but side cushions and around guages starting to rip etc. So I may beer looking at new interior. My questions are... I hear the wake is horribly small on these boats? Is the engine and drive good?? Is it possibly true that inner stringers were fine? Am I in for a nightmare if I think I can redo the interior? And will that floor last?? Thanks!! If anyone replies I'll post pictures of both boats. I'm going trade tomorrow so I need to choose now!! Thanks!! Also I do plan on fishing, snorkeling, having friends come for cruises, day and night. But majority wakeboarding tubing etc. Has new sound system with four speakers on tower and 4 in boat. Just feels like the Chris craft is so much more boat with mint interior and new engine... But it's it too much boat??1627916278

Cusefan78
08-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Obviously we are all partial to supras. I have a hard time believing the inners were bad and the outers are still good. Do you know of the stringers and floor where glassed when they were installed? Also was the foam removed. The old foam that was they used wasn't closed cell and holds a ton of water which will accelerate the new inner stringers rotting out. Anyways Before you choose any boat make sure you go through. I would recommend a compression test on the motors. Also I would test both boats before buying or trading. One last thing that may make a difference. The christcraft is an io so you won't be able to surf behind it. Post more pics of the rider.

SupraSki84
08-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Thank you very much. I just asked if any glass was done, and its actually other way around I believe I said it correctly, the outers were bad, the inners were left alone and fine. Didn't make sense to me. I don't think the floor was glassed or foam redone but I'll find out in a few hopefully truthfully. If not, deal breaker?! Value for trade about 4k... And interior definitely a little beat up. Nothing that needs immediate attention. Should compression test, even with only 185 hours? Simply due to age? And when everyone says surf, do they mean barefoot?! And why can't you behind I/o?? And I'm worried I hear washer in these supras is very very small? Thanks again!

SupraSki84
08-06-2015, 10:17 PM
So he responded to verify that the foam was all fine for sure and not wet, said the outer stringers were replaced and the inners were fine. Said they glassed the stringers and put a rubberized coating over the whole floor and then the carpet installed. Says it runs strong. Says transmission and engine were serviced at beginning of every season, says his brother is service manager at a marina, so I would hope it was all done right. Here are more photos. Is interior beyond fixing?? Not great pictures.

Jetlink
08-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Looks like you could also go fishing easily from the helm there with the seat they got in it...

gogger
08-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Yea that drivers seat doesn't look real comfortable.

jasun
08-07-2015, 09:41 AM
So he responded to verify that the foam was all fine for sure and not wet, said the outer stringers were replaced and the inners were fine.

How can the foam be dry if the stringers were rotten? The foam is what ruins the stringers in these old boats. Does he have any pics or documentation? Did he leave any of the floor out, like under the gas tank, to where you can see it? Best thing would be to take everything out, go weigh it all at a gravel pit. Go put the boat in the water and weigh it again. My 86' was so water logged it weighed almost 1200 # more then the dry weight per the manual.

And ABSOLUTLY do a compression test. Look at the oil, look at the tranny fluid. see if they are milky at all. Look in the bilge and see if there is any oil residue.

Where are you located? There are a ton of members around that would probably go with you to look at it if you are close.

gogger
08-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Having first purchased a 1989 supra with bad stringers I would have to warn you about them. Seems like a lot of work to go through and not do them all and not do them properly. The engine would be lag bolted to the inner stringers so check and see if they are snugged down or if they just spin in rotten wood.

Not that I am a the most experienced on this forum, but I don't think that is a $4000 boat. With the work that it probably needs or going to need you will have more than that in restoration. Interior probably a couple thousand if you do it right. Stringer/floor 4 or 5 grand unless you do it yourself. If you love the boat and want a project then it could suit your needs. Will definitely be more fun than the chris craft. I wouldn't go back to an I/O if I could avoid it. I probably would keep looking. Or sell the bike for cash and then find a inboard that you could afford that is in better shape.

SupraSki84
08-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks everybody, and it would be incredible if a knowledgeable member could come look however I don't think I'll be that lucky. Going to look at it and maybe do the trade today at 6:00 in fairhaven Massachusetts. And can I see any foam or the dirtiness through the open engine bay, or only the lag bolts?I don't mind a winter project, so long as it is only the interior. I am a mechanic, so I can learn it. Easy to do compression testing on site? And you think for 4k cash I can get the same boat with a great interior? I haven't seen much for better deals. Thanks again all. I certainly don't want to regret my choice. Just seems like a dream to get any ski boat like this! Can't let myself get anxious though, but I do need a boat this weekend

Jetlink
08-07-2015, 10:21 AM
If you really need a boat this weekend, go rent one as this one is not worth it at this price point. You can do so much better than this boat and like others have said, the story just doesn't jive with the overall experience those of us with classic Supras that have done the restoration experienced.

SupraSki84
08-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I feel as if I may be able to get a better boat. However it may be tough to get the expected 4000 for my bike too. So I think I'll go for it. Update from seller after long talk. All work done by professionals, the foam was drilled into to check for wetness after sitting to dry with floor removed for a week. Guaranteed completely dry. Compression tests not done on conventional v8, instead a leak down test and ask cylinders leak down under 8%. Says it is a solid boat and to take it or leave it. I'm going to have a little trust, and redo the interior over the winter. I'll post better pictures of my new boat tomorrow. It seems I may be going against most opinions here, sorry! Thanks very much though, look forward to joining the supra crew and asking a thousand questions ;) thanks all.

jasun
08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
I don't think that 20 years worth of water in the foam is going to dry in one week. I would walk away and leave it. Saw your bike and get $3500 for it. You're going to spend at least two grand and fixing the boat.
Also, I am not a mechanic but I always thought that leak down tests were done to find out why a cylinder would have low compression. Why not just do a compression test?
You need to put a wrench on all of the engine mounting bolts. And make sure they're all Stiff.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasun
08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Just one more thought, my outside stringers are way worse than my inside stringers. Here is what you're looking at if they are truly bad.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/ef9caf57f4cb29e2f4bf07736ac7b0ff.jpg

You can see in this picture that there are sections where balsa wood and the fiberglass were completely rotted away.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/d6bd75c3634add58937205760983d01c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cusefan78
08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Yeah I agree. If stringers where bad then the foam would be wet and leaving the foam out in the sun for a week isn't going to dry it out. The reason the inners didn't get changed us because they didn't want to pull the engine. With that said we all know how it feels to want a boat. If you like it. Get it but he warned you're going to need a cap off resto in your future.

Cusefan78
08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Jasun a leak down test is just as good as a compression test. The nice thing about leak downs is if there is a problem it will tell you where it is. When the air is pumped in, if it's leaking you can hear it escaping out of the throttle body and muffler. Where the hiss is coming from. Will tell you if it's a valve or rings. It's a lot more work to do leak downs. not sure why the guy didn't do compression tests. If I where the guy interested in this boat I would get all the readings from each cylinder. Anything more then 10% is going to be problems sooner then later.

Moor
08-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Jasun a leak down test is just as good as a compression test. The nice thing about leak downs is if there is a problem it will tell you where it is. When the air is pumped in, if it's leaking you can hear it escaping out of the throttle body and muffler. Where the hiss is coming from. Will tell you if it's a valve or rings. It's a lot more work to do leak downs. not sure why the guy didn't do compression tests. If I where the guy interested in this boat I would get all the readings from each cylinder. Anything more then 10% is going to be problems sooner then later.

a leakdown test is actually better than a compression test. the only thing you will see on a compression test is a big hole in the engine, like a bent valve, or a hole in the piston, or severely worn rings. A leak down test will provide you with the health of each individual cylinder. and can show smaller problems that may not appear in a compression test. If your leakdown test was within 8% on all cylinders, the engine is probably sound.

I would be very hesitant to trust a marina with this boat. I made that mistake when i bought my first ski boat (barefoot nautique). I knew enough to ask about the stringers, and i was assured by the sales person and the owner of the marina that there were not rotten, or compromised in anyway. Sure enough they were bad, and the marina was selling the boat before it broke in half. I ended up getting about 30% of the price of the boat back from the shady marina, to cover the cost of stringer repairs. It wasn't even close to what a stringer job would cost. I ran the boat for the summer and sold it the next season. Hopefully this isnt the case with your boat, but be prepared for some bad news.

chris young
08-12-2015, 02:14 PM
I have an 84 Rider. Firstly if the motor is in good shape and the stringers under the motor are solid, I'm not sure that 4k is all that bad assuming the trailer is in good shape. I paid 2200 for mine in similar condition, no trailer and have been doing minor repairs and upgrades for the last 3 seasons. In my case it's a new floor over the old one and for the use I give it, it's fine for now.

Since you're not all that familiar with direct drive inboards a bit of education on what you're getting is in order. This boat was built to be a competition ski boat (notice it has 2 speedometers?), that means small wake and it pulls like a mule. As someone who uses the boat for what it was intended (skiing) I can tell the wake is not "horribly small" I wish it was. Because of this, rough water means anything over about 8", if you want a pleasure runabout on a big body of water, this is not the boat for you.

Lot's of guys weigh these boats down with lots of ballast and I'm told they will throw a decent wake with that. I for one, would not be putting a tonne of ballast in an old boat unless I knew everything was solid. Stand on the swim platform at the corners and see if it moves. If it does, that will need to be fixed before you can use the boat. That involves pulling the fuel tank and doing the repair from inside the boat. If you want a wakeboard boat, this boat will be much better than the Chris Craft (assuming the ugly tower is included). Then you can use the 1000 you save to buy a proper seat. As for gas guzzling, once you get this boat on the water, you'll be looking for a hole in the gas tank or accusing your neighbours of siphoning gas out of your boat. If you want to do a compression test before making the final deal, the plugs are easily accessible so it'll go fast.

Zim
08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Don't let the emotion of getting a boat get the best of you. Your ZX10 is worth more than this boat, IMO. I had a 03 Honda CBR600RR with 40k on the clock that I sold for 4 G's. You've got a 5-6k dollar bike sitting there, and this boat certainly isn't worth that.

There's a lot of issues with that boat - It's super dirty, clearly has no cover on it, and has been open to all elements inside of the boat for god knows how long. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole, and if you do, just be ready to drop more than the boats worth in it to make it right with stringers, floor, finding a seat, any mechanical repairs, etc.

IMO, that boat's not worth more than a couple thousand. There's probably a reason he's jumping on a chance to unload it and trade you. Be very skeptical.

Jetlink
08-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Thought he said he needed a boat by this past weekend and that he was going to get it anyways so, I guess trying to talk him out of it is a moot point now.

Zim
08-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Thought he said he needed a boat by this past weekend and that he was going to get it anyways so, I guess trying to talk him out of it is a moot point now.

Guess so. Didn't read far enough into his posts to see he's going against all advice here. LOL.... I expect another "Rebuilding my stringers, where do I start" thread here this winter.