PDA

View Full Version : Delco EST ignition - installation/timing

bsampson
06-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I have an '86 Saltare with the 454.

I upgraded my point style ignition to an electronic Delco EST kit. It included the distributor, cap, rotor, coil, plug wires, and a timing harness and shift interupt harness. But no instructions. I've gathered what I could through google searches, and I think I have it installed correctly, but I'm having timing advance issues

I installed the distributor with the #1 cylinder at top dead center, and so the rotor was lined up with the #1 plug wire (or close to it). I connected the gray wire to the tach, the purple wire to the switched power from the ignition switch (and bypassed the resistor from the points system).

There are 2 plugs on the Delco EST ignition module - a 2 pin that connects to the coil, and a three pin. I connected the timing harness to the 3 pin connection (which has as loop between 2 pins and a loose wire) and connected the loose wire to +12v. I was under the impression that this "locks" the timing so that the module would not advance the timing. I set my inital timing to 12 degrees advance. The boat runs great at an idle.

I disconnect the timing harness and plug nothing into the 3 pin. I've been told that my boat doesn't use the shift interupt cable.

Now for my problem. When I increase throttle above idle, my advance remains the same. Actually, it actually drops back to about 8 degrees instead of increasing to 30 or 32. I got it on the water tonight, and it's falling way short of the power it should have. I top out at about 25 mph and 3200 rpm (or something like that).

The problem has to be in my timing advance, right? Why won't the timing advance? Do I need to connect something to the shift interrupt wire? What is a shift interupt anyways? Could I have the wrong part? The kit I bought supposedly works with any V8.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Barry

bsampson
07-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I ended up calling the supplier for the ignition kit and told them the symptoms. They quickly diagnosed the problem as a faulty distributer, sent me a new one, and I'm up and running.

Running very well I might add. I'm surprised at how respsonsive the boat is now. In addition to a hotter spark, I'm also getting more accurate timing. Very nice!!