PDA

View Full Version : New boater w/88 Mariah conteplating mod

Rasken
08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Hello all, as a new boater with an old boat I need some advice!....

I just bought an 88 Mariah that was well maintained with low hours. Its in pretty good shape for its age but does need a little attention to the floor due to a couple small soft spots but thats going to be a winter project. Anyway the kids are all pushing hard for a wakeboard tower. Im tight on $ (still got a year to pay ex) but am pretty good about doing things myself rather than paying someone else. So kids find this Aerial Ascent 2.0 tower that is priced pretty good. I figure It couldnt be too difficult!? However, after spending many long hours on the net, I'm questioning not only my ability to do right but also the boats ability to handle the stresses. Can somebody please help me out with this....

1. Is the Aerial Ascent 2.0 any good?

2. I understand that the hull needs to be reinforced but access to those areas seems impossible without cutting additional holes from the inside just to gain access????? Is that right? (Scary!!!)

3. Regardless of the answer to #2, what is best way to reinforce?

I know there is already a forum relating to this but that was quite old! Anyone have anything new to add or advice me of?

jasun
08-17-2015, 10:06 AM
as far as access goes, remove the front bow seats. There might be an access behind them. If not, the vents on the sides come out. Check behind any trim panels on the boat. I can access my gunnel in the bow by going up under the helm on the starboard side and but contorting my body and going up from under the seats...

AL plates make good backers as you don't have to worry about rot or anything. I have not put a tower on but I have read a lot of people who have. Someone will chime in soon I am sure!

flipz96
08-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Hello all, as a new boater with an old boat I need some advice!....

I just bought an 88 Mariah that was well maintained with low hours. Its in pretty good shape for its age but does need a little attention to the floor due to a couple small soft spots but thats going to be a winter project. Anyway the kids are all pushing hard for a wakeboard tower. Im tight on $ (still got a year to pay ex) but am pretty good about doing things myself rather than paying someone else. So kids find this Aerial Ascent 2.0 tower that is priced pretty good. I figure It couldnt be too difficult!? However, after spending many long hours on the net, I'm questioning not only my ability to do right but also the boats ability to handle the stresses. Can somebody please help me out with this....

1. Is the Aerial Ascent 2.0 any good?

2. I understand that the hull needs to be reinforced but access to those areas seems impossible without cutting additional holes from the inside just to gain access????? Is that right? (Scary!!!)

3. Regardless of the answer to #2, what is best way to reinforce?

I know there is already a forum relating to this but that was quite old! Anyone have anything new to add or advice me of?

I have an 88 Mariah with an Aerial Freeride which mine were accessed through the speaker cutouts in the coaming walls.

For the ascent, it looks like it would mount in front of the side intake louvers and the rear would mount near the fwd midship speakers behind the helm seat. The back ones will be easy to get to. The forward ones you have to access from either under the helm (on the starboard side only) or by removing the louvers and reaching in or reaching under the bow seat cushion. I'm not sure on the reach from the bow seat cushion though. Last case scenario would be to cut behind the bow seats to gain access.

Any material that won't rot would be ideal; aquaplast, starboard, abs, aluminum, etc. I want to say mine was a foot long and embedded with PL glue. You want to increase contact backing surface area to reduce stress concentration. Also make sure to use stainless fender washers.

Rasken
08-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks both of you for easing my anxiety over this job! Marvin Im also interested in talking with you about your floor replacement if there is some way we can talk that would be great! (New to forums as well so not sure how to do that or if its improper to even ask!)

michael hunter
08-23-2015, 07:40 AM
If you have soft spots in the floor you will soon be looking at a stringer job . With the cap off you will have full access to the upper hull to add reinforcement at the mounting points

flipz96
08-24-2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks both of you for easing my anxiety over this job! Marvin Im also interested in talking with you about your floor replacement if there is some way we can talk that would be great! (New to forums as well so not sure how to do that or if its improper to even ask!)

No problem. Anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to. I am on the road for 4.5 hrs every Tuesday PM me your number and I can give you a shout.

lmnelson86
08-27-2015, 09:55 AM
If your floor has soft spots, you'll likely need to do stringers at some point. My boat needed "only the floor" to be replaced because of soft spots, and it needed a full on stringer restoration. Marvin and I did practically the same boat at the same time, his being composite. Click the link in my signature to see my rebuild thread. Still a work in progress.

Lastly, post some pics of your boat.