PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Supra no spark

OutboardMike
08-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Have a 1987 Sunsport with the 351 Ford I'm working on for a friend. Replaced the coil, points, plugs, condenser, rotor, and distributor cap. It is not getting spark to the plugs when I try to start it. I have voltage to the positive side of coil and also have voltage to the negative side when I use a continuity tester and try to start it the test light flashes as I turn the key. I replaced the coil wire and still no spark to the plugs. I am putting a test light on the number one and 5 cylinders as we turn it over and there is no spark. I'm stumped. Any thoughts on what it could would be greatly appreciated.

michael hunter
08-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Do you have spark at the coil wire going into the dist cap?

wotan2525
08-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Have you checked for actual spark and not just the test light?

lively
08-19-2015, 10:13 PM
you don't need to turn the engine over with points and condenser simply make and break the contact in the dizzy to verify or adjust .. the points have to be adjusted properly to obtain spark

OutboardMike
08-21-2015, 09:27 PM
I checked the spark to the coil wire going to the distributor and it was good. I then replaced the distributor cap with the old one and I now have spark. Must have been a bad cap. I tried to start it and it would not start. Getting good gas to the carb but still no start???