View Full Version : Ireland: Day 2

myturndad
06-28-2007, 09:56 AM
michael, sounds neat.

are you going to post some pics? i think we would all enjoy them

Doug

scmarketing
06-28-2007, 12:52 PM
It has been a cold, wet day in sunny Ireland. We put in on the Shannon in a 24SSV Gravity Games edition boat at 7:45am. Our intent was to head upstream 30 minutes to Clon MacNoyse, the site of an ancient Monastery founded by St. Cianan. The site dates from 50AD. Largely ravaged by Normans, and then in internal Irish strife, it remains one of the most significant sites for the 'Irish High Cross'.

Right, I should have taken pictures. But I managed to travel to Ireland without a camera supposing that the Fuel TV and the Alliance Magazine people will capture the story far more powerfully than I can.

We will try again this evening, as it stays light here until 10:30pm.

Josh remains stuck in an airport in Chicago. Apparently some serious storm issues in the midwest. Trevor has a radio interview lined up for the morning, after the boys spend the evening tonight at the 'Fighting Cock' pub here in Birr.

A few things I've seen today that are uncommon in the states:

> I was stopped on a local highway for 15 minutes as a sheep farmer moved his herd from one side of his land to the other. Awesome. Sheep are definitively not built for speed.

> Had lunch at Finley's pub in Banagher. Not fine dining, but a pretty active pub scene at 1:00pm. No, I didn't cozy up to a Guiness. Work hours, even here on the emerald island.

> We stopped at a gas station for breakfast with the boys. They ordered ham and sausage breakfast biscuits. Think of a Subway 12" sub on steroids. Didn't seem to stop Ben or Trevor from polishing them off.

> Reed spent the better part of two hours curled up in a 6' 1" ball hiding from the wind and rain under the steering column in the boat. I think if we put a zippered camping enclosure over the top of the tower, at least in Ireland, we could sell the Launch 24SSV as a houseboat.

> Red heads. Yes, Ireland has them. Many very pretty.

> Also big blue/green eyes and an amazing lilt in the speech pattern. We are definitely not in New Jersey.

> Very few SUVs on the road. Even fewer semi's. Lots of heavy farm equipment. I've been known to exceed a speed limit. Here I can't seem to get to the posted speeds.

That's about all. We hope to be on the water tonight. Tomorrow we travel north to Enniskillen (roughly two hours). Should be interesting. With a little luck the rain will slow down and we will get some quality time in on the water.

frisbyjonathan1
06-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Im am glad to see that you are getting accustomed to our Irish weather. The 24ssv Gravity Games is capable of dealing with our conditions.

We have arranged Irish Television crew, local news papers and radio stations to see the guys in action. The River has been perfect the past couple of evenings. This will continue.

Since we got the delivery of the gravity games she has been on the water every evening this week and is really proving to be a fantastic boat. Everbody in Waterford is stolked to see the guys perform.

We need you to wakeboard through our city and under our bridge and down by our quays. The people of waterford need to see your team in action. We look forward to seeing you and the riders this saturday..

Slán Leat...The Frisby Family

scmarketing
06-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Thanks Frisbys. We look forward to visiting you tomorrow. Hopefully Josh will be in town by then. If not Waterford will have to make do with the terrible trio of Hansen, Hansen and Greenwood. They will rip it up pretty well.

We really appreciate your invitation and look forward to the south after our visit to the north today.