PDA

View Full Version : Anchors?

ckracing
08-20-2015, 09:35 PM
I have an anchor that came with the boat that is too big. I'm wanting to replace it with something right for my use. I'm never on a river, always a lake. My private lake where we anchor is around 75 ft. deep. Quiet coves without a great amount of wind. What type of anchor would you recommend?

Thanks!

jasun
08-20-2015, 09:53 PM
I have a 15lb version of this and it works great in deep water. My lake is murk bottom though. Not sure it would work good on a clay or sand lake. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/20/aec796bdd999a5599b9bb5dda6e13ed6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackout_58
08-20-2015, 11:40 PM
I put my money on a small box anchor, just my two cents.

crystal waters
08-21-2015, 10:43 AM
I use the same as Jasun. I make sure the anchor is well set and also that I let out enough anchor line that the pull against it is more of a horizontal nature than vertical. At an angle of sorts. I watch many boaters simply drop the anchor over thevside and expect it to hold the boat in place. You have to " set it" and then leave out enough line.

Jetlink
08-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Anchor, plus about five feet of chain before you get to the rope is best. I have heard good things about box anchors and I would probably go with one for my next anchor. Where I boat is predominantly a muck bottom and a few lakes on the chain plus the river are sand/gravel bottom which is why I use a fluke anchor as well as my in laws do on their boat.

The bottom of the lake is really going to be your driving factor on anchor selection.

pridekit
08-21-2015, 04:35 PM
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but can you use a fluke on muck bottom lakes? I'm normally in a sandy river, but I plan on taking it to some lakes in central Florida (not sure what their bottoms are like, or depths).

Jetlink
08-21-2015, 04:40 PM
I use a fluke style anchor where I boat and all I have to do is be patient sometimes when pulling the anchor and then I try and clean is as best I can before bringing it back in the boat.

crystal waters
08-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Exactly same for me!

MJHKnox
08-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Anchor, plus about five feet of chain before you get to the rope is best. I have heard good things about box anchors and I would probably go with one for my next anchor. Where I boat is predominantly a muck bottom and a few lakes on the chain plus the river are sand/gravel bottom which is why I use a fluke anchor as well as my in laws do on their boat.

The bottom of the lake is really going to be your driving factor on anchor selection.

+1 on the Chain. Makes a big difference.
Do not cheap out on a good rope.

M-

Outsick
08-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Small trash can from dollar store bag of cement and a threaded eye with nut and fender washer good lake anchor. Cheap too.

tg0824SSVGG
08-21-2015, 08:37 PM
I use a medium box anchor - I love this anchor more than any other I have used. I also have it attached to an anchor buddy bungee cord, but that would not work at the depths you say you need. No chain required - if it pulls, it rolls over and re-sets. Check them out. They fold flat when you're not using them.

UKandH
08-26-2015, 07:26 AM
OK as a *yachtie* this is a subject i know a fair bit about, so a lot depends on the bottom of the lake / sea / river etc.
Silt, rocks, Kelp, weed, mud, clay etc.
The general rule of thumb is 1 by 3, for every one foot / meter in depth you need 3 of rode. The anchor itself relies on the chain to make it work as this created the drag and weight to allow the anchor to lay flat on the bed. A lake is slightly different from flowing water and tidal streams etc so less will be needed, however it depends a lot on surface winds and surface area of the lake where you are mooring your pride and joy. if its a sandy / mud bed i would go for a Bruce or Danforth, if its rock and stone a different design is needed.

jzelt
08-26-2015, 03:58 PM
I use a mushroom with points anchor (15 lbs), 5 ft chain 150 ft rope. (Not all the rope is necessary all the time, but we have put it all out on occasion). Typically anchor in 25-40 ft water, sometimes with a buddy tied on. Lake and river with muddy/small rock bottom but mostly muck.
Anchor Image (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7W3TDef8roosKIZes0ijFMoK9xan-hK3pCznK802u0Na-RYI5Vg)

wotan2525
08-26-2015, 05:17 PM
I use a danforth and have never had an issue. I was at a Red Bull Flugtag event on the Mississippi river once -- the current was quick and I was the only boat there that didn't have any anchor problems. Lots of rope, 5' of chain and it just works.

MJHKnox
08-26-2015, 06:50 PM
I tried the Danforth w/o the chain, it worked 1/2 the time. When I added the 5' of chain, never had issues again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk