PDA

View Full Version : Water over Bow on Supra Conbrio

bennettsupra07
07-02-2007, 07:12 PM
We recently purchased a 1989 Supra Conbrio. When we test drove the boat the lake was farily smooth and didnt have any problems with water coming over the bow. When we went wakeboarding last saturday we got water over the bow twice even when attempting not to. As a driver we know what we are doing. The person who was driving has plenty of experince driving mastercrafts, makibus , ect.. I believe it is simply a function of the bow sitting so low in the water. I was just wondering how many of you have had the same problem and how you sole the problem. I might just have to make new driving habbits. i dont know. I was also considering changing the wakeplate. Any help would be great. Thanks

pills11.com ;))

DKJBama92Mariah
07-03-2007, 12:59 AM
On the low freeboard Supras like yours and mine, water over the bow is just part of it. You can minimize it though.

When you come around for your skier and you cross your own wake you take the rollers over the bow, Right? When you go to cross these rollers, give her a little throttle to bring the bow up while you cross and then drop back to idle.

Also putting less weight up front will help.

Here's the story with the wakeplate. For boarding, you want it all the way up. If you want an upgrade, Bennett trim tabs sells hydraulic wakeplates exclusively through Overtons. These are exactly like the hydraulic wakeplates on the new Supras. I put one on mine and I LOVE IT! It completely changed the way the boat drove being able to trim the boat to water conditions. It makes rougher water pretty bearable actually with the plate most of the way down.

DKJ

Ed G
07-03-2007, 05:25 AM
The frontal deluge happens with Outbacks too - especially when weighted for wakesurfing.

I find that when the rider goes down, immediately putting the boat in neutral and letting the rollers go by (before making a slow turn) solves the problem.

Othniel13
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I have this same exact boat, and have had it since new. Before this we had a 1980 mastercraft. We have always had this problem.

This is the nature of our boat. My cousin has an 86 comp with similar problem, same with my neighbor's 89 comp. They don't complain as much since the bow is closed.

Giving it gas over the wake is most effective. Also, waiting for the wake to roll by works. Another trick I use is to cut the throttle right before hitting the rollers when you come back around. Basically you let the boat "coast" from plane as it goes over the rollers with some upward and forward momentum (if that makes any sense!).

Another great trick to keep for all situation... just pull it into neutral and let it coast. It seems that this boat will actually push the bow down a few inches when idling.

This trick seems to keep the water out in most conditions. This trick also works when you experience what we call the "u-boat". This is basically sinking the nose when cutting throttle with lots of weight in the front (or "high seas".) The bow will literally submerge severely and feels like it will continue to do so unless you put it in neutral or reverse it.

We run our boat 90% of the time with the bow cover on. Putting weight in the back also helps avoid issues.

Small price to pay for a great boat, in my opinion.

dndsam
07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Another trick is to almost idle through the wake side ways. Let the boat roll side to side through the boat waves. Like the others have already said, give it a quick burst of throttle to get the nose up when you approach the waves. Hit them at a 45 degree angle to soften the blow to the boat.