PDA

View Full Version : New Mastercraft X26............... $200K all day.

cjtpilot
08-25-2015, 02:16 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/x26

Its sharp looking, but Starting price of $150K as soon as you add a trailer you are more than a totally optioned out SE550! Thanks but I will stay with Supra! Of course I can't afford either but thats beside the point.

Zim
08-25-2015, 03:17 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/x26

Its sharp looking, but Starting price of $150K as soon as you add a trailer you are more than a totally optioned out SE550! Thanks but I will stay with Supra! Of course I can't afford either but thats beside the point.

Eh, different class of boat.

SE is a 24 footer. X26 is 2 feet bigger and more of a day cruiser. Nice boat, stupid expensive... Let someone else take the 100k depreciation hit on that thing over a few years and pick it up in 20 years or so when they can't be given away.

pridekit
08-25-2015, 03:42 PM
It seems really narrow for 26'. I can't imagine my boat being 5 foot longer with the same beam.

cadunkle
08-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Overall my reaction to a 26' towboat with a head, fridge and bow thruster... I just don't get it. Given the choice I'd take the SA or whatever we were talking about in the other thread?

Zim
08-25-2015, 04:27 PM
102" beam is the largest that can be towed without any special permits... that's why. Pretty standard in the towable boat industry.

pridekit
08-25-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't know, my buddy would appreciate it if I had a head on my boat. I'm not sure that I want to clean it out though lol.

Zim
08-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Overall my reaction to a 26' towboat with a head, fridge and bow thruster... I just don't get it. Given the choice I'd take the SA or whatever we were talking about in the other thread?

It's butting into the I/O bow rider segment. You want a Cobalt, or you want this thing to cruise around on the Ozarks and have an occasional tow behind the boat? This is not a good boat to put on some 300 acre private lake, but that's not its intentions. If you've ever been on a 40,000 acre lake, they get choppy, and this would handle that superbly while you shuttle all your buddies around from bar to bar, or head to a cove to spend the day.

Supra doesn't even have anything in the same class... there's really nothing to compare it to.

Wulphie
08-25-2015, 06:03 PM
I don't get spending that kind of money on a boat that doesn't do anything great. for 200k you could buy a low hour xstar and a low hour formula 353 fastech with a pair of 525s and have 2 boats that serve their purpose very well.

MJHKnox
08-25-2015, 07:22 PM
My buddy had that boat, the 353 Formula w/ 525s and Bravos. Fun boat in choppy waters. Well built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadunkle
08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Indeed. I boat on a large river so I know what it's like having white caps or just random walls of water from tugs, barges, or huge ships. My thought was it would make more sense to have a cruiser than that MC, though a go fast could serve well too. Would be nice to have something like a Chris Craft Commander as a home base or mothership for a day or weekend on the river. Heck, for the price of that thing you could have a ~40' cruiser, ~40' go fast and a wake or ski boat too... Heck, a wake boat and a ski boat too. Why compromise with a boat that doesn't do anything all that well?

Wulphie
08-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Indeed. I boat on a large river so I know what it's like having white caps or just random walls of water from tugs, barges, or huge ships. My thought was it would make more sense to have a cruiser than that MC, though a go fast could serve well too. Would be nice to have something like a Chris Craft Commander as a home base or mothership for a day or weekend on the river. Heck, for the price of that thing you could have a ~40' cruiser, ~40' go fast and a wake or ski boat too... Heck, a wake boat and a ski boat too. Why compromise with a boat that doesn't do anything all that well?

40' go fast is a whole different level haha. It takes very deep pockets to make a boat that big go fast. This is a friends older brother's boat, pretty sure engines and drives are in the 6 figures and they don't last long. Twin blower motors, #6 drives. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwD5PjF1JVM

MJHKnox
08-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Yea, #6s and 1100hp motors are north of 100K. That 41 Apache is a very heavy boat. Made for pounding ocean waves. Big waves.
Those were the old-school Miami boats along with the classic Cigarettes.

I love reading articles about boating. Yes, this gets into new racing motors and is on the extreme, but I recall reading this article in a boating mag - Mercury Racing 1350 engine and M8 drive - $200K - for one.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles/worth-it/why-is-the-mercury-racing-1350-so-damn-expensive

Crazy numbers. I guess if you have to buy a pair, you might get a discount . . . who can just buy one on a 40+ footer?

M-

UKandH
08-26-2015, 07:03 AM
for 200k you could get a nice early Carmargue 46 which sleeps 6, handles the open sea and has twin V8 diesels, i know what id rather have, keep the TS6 and buy the Carmargue haha. $200k for a boat that does nothing well???? if your into wake surfing then the Carmargue would do nicely....might be an issue trailering it though :D

michael hunter
08-26-2015, 07:37 AM
MC has to do something to compete with the G23-G25 . MC has been playing catch up since 2013 I doubt putting out a 26' whale for 200k is going to change anything.

Jetlink
08-26-2015, 11:47 AM
MC has to do something to compete with the G23-G25 . MC has been playing catch up since 2013 I doubt putting out a 26' whale for 200k is going to change anything.

This boat is not for avid water sports boaters like many of us. This is for people who buy Malibus, Mastercrafts and the sorts just to be flashy. I have seen quite a few tow boats that never have a ski, wakeboard or wake surf behind them ever, let alone a tow rope and as a tow boat owner it drives me nuts, but to each their own I guess.

michael hunter
08-27-2015, 07:26 AM
I have 5 boats and the cost for all of them is under 100k . MC made a 300 for a couple of years it too was more of a cruiser than a pull boat. They don't make them anymore that is what will likely happen to the X26. After all you could buy a 26' Cobalt for less than half the price.

Zim
08-27-2015, 11:21 AM
I have 5 boats and the cost for all of them is under 100k . MC made a 300 for a couple of years it too was more of a cruiser than a pull boat. They don't make them anymore that is what will likely happen to the X26. After all you could buy a 26' Cobalt for less than half the price.

The 300 was more than a day cruiser. Didn't the 300 have sleeping quarters in it? That boat was huge... 30 footer.

MC also made an X80 that sold fine for a while. At 28 feet, it wasn't really a watersports superstar either, but it let you do them if you wanted to. The 26 is a much more manageable size, and is trailerable. The X80 was too large to pull without a permit.

michael hunter
08-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Its all about the wake if its not there you are better off buying an IO for less than half the price. At 7000lbs without ballast this thing is going to be a real gas sucker . But then again if you can spend 200k on a boat gas is the least of your concerns.

UKandH
08-28-2015, 02:20 AM
I have a problem with IO drives reliability, take the Mercruiser Alpha 2 and Bravo drives....WHAT A POS they are!!! I had to rebuild mine on my Glastron and my ChrisCraft (had a Bravo) Nothing but a royal pain in the arse to be honest. Special tools needed, corrosion and stuck carriers, bearings collapsing, skegs getting busted, gimble bearings going bad, seals leaking and drawing water into the casing let alone the cost of the parts which are horrendous.

I think i will stick to Inboard and Prop shaft drives thanks :) been there, done that and got the very expensive T shirt and badge.

Jetlink
08-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Its all about the wake if its not there you are better off buying an IO for less than half the price. At 7000lbs without ballast this thing is going to be a real gas sucker . But then again if you can spend 200k on a boat gas is the least of your concerns.

The in-laws 24SD WSS which has an empty weight of 4800 pounds sucks down gas at 9-12GPH at a conservative power setting and trim set for a healthy balance between wet surface/ride and speed. WOT it sucks it down at 33-36GPH which at a 50 gallon tank means it has to stop often to fill up if you insist on driving it like you stole it. All this with the Volvo Penta 380 power plant in it I believe.

I'll gladly ride around in it once the lake is busy but for early morning and dinner runs in the bay, nothing beats my boat.