PDA

View Full Version : 92 sunsport dies off idle

ukpaul
08-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Hi Guys. First post.
Had some problems with my 92 supra.
Bought it early this year and always fires up fine and idles but when you put in gear, a lot of the time it will die unless you give it a little more throttle. I can handle it but gets frustrating when putting back on trailer or trying to take slack out of rope for wakeboarder etc.
I had the holley rebuilt but still has same problem. A mechanic I know told me today to check the weights in distributor for sticking but I can't find any.
I'm getting really frustrated with it.
Any ideas, Thanks

Jetlink
08-26-2015, 04:34 PM
What's your idle at in neutral?

ukpaul
08-26-2015, 05:06 PM
What's your idle at in neutral?

It's on about 900rpm

Jetlink
08-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Is that with the tachometer on the boat or via a timing light or other tachometer that you know to be accurate?

michael hunter
08-27-2015, 07:13 AM
The weights in the distributor are under the plate the points are mounted to. Does it have points or electronic ignition? Check your timing, What is the Idle speed in gear.

ukpaul
08-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Granted. It is the reading on the boats tach. It does sound a healthy idle speed though. Looked for weights, can't find any. There are coil packs that all the plug wires go to at back of engine and up front there is something that resembles a distributor but when I take cap off there is no rotor or weights as such. I have attached a pic of that.
Thanks.

Jetlink
08-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Can you take a video of it idling in neutral and then again when you go to put it in gear and post it up here?

CJD
08-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Try richening the 2 idle mixture screws on the carb about 1/2 turn (or even a bit more). If you set the mixture for a no-load idle, it will often be very lean once under load. I always set my mixture with the boat idling in gear. Once richened under load, set the idle speed to about 600, also under load. It should bump up to no more than about 800 in neutral. WIth a high idle speed, the tranny engages harder, which doesn't help your stalling issue.

Your distributor is electronic. The advance is controlled electronically too. You may check the manual to make sure the initial timing is correct, but that is all you can do with it.

Edit....it just occured to me that although your distributor is electronic, it could still be an early version that still uses weights. Grab hold of the disc and rock it back and forth. If it feels springy (or gummy...if it is sticking), then you DO still have a mechanical advance. I don't think this is the case...but you never know in the transition years!

ukpaul
08-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys. I will try take a video this weekend if I get out. I will also try fiddling with the mixture screws while in drive and see if that helps. Had a guy put in a bigger power valve from a 6.5 to an 8.5. I'm hoping that will help. I'll keep ya posted.

ukpaul
08-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Right guys. Took it out last night for a couple of hours and on the whole it wasn't too bad. I did as you mentioned CJD, and left it in drive and backed out mixture screws another 1/4 of a turn. That is now 1 3/4 turns out on both sides. It did mess around a little between getting to dock, turning off while i went to back trailer down and firing up again. I was wondering whether to alter the distributor timing a little. Can't find the procedure anywhere on how to do this. Anyone know ?
Thanks !