PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Mice Out When Winterized

Supra@Sylvan
08-28-2015, 08:30 PM
This will be the first winter I will be storing my boat, in a garage at the lake. I'm worried about mice getting in and doing a number on the interior. Besides traps, is there any other ways to keep these varmints off my boat?

crystal waters
08-29-2015, 10:38 AM
I have heard that placing drier sheets such that one uses in their laundry , in strategic locations inside your boat discourages mice infiltration.
Personally, I have never had an issue so have not tried that method.
Good luck

michael hunter
08-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Dont know if the dryer sheets actually stop the mice I never had any mice but the do make the boat smell nice.

Ewok
08-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Keep the boat very clean and don't leave a crumb inside for them to be attracted to. Some traps around the exterior of the shed might help. I know a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full of water with peanut butter smeared around the inside lip with a small stick leaning up to the top of the bucket is a good low Mx mouse trap. They climb up the stick, try to get the peanut butter, fall in the bucket, can't climb up the sides and eventually get exhausted and drown.

mjb
08-29-2015, 11:53 PM
the dryer sheet works great, RV users have used this trick for years. i have done just that and have had great luck using dryer sheets.

NoWake
08-30-2015, 03:24 AM
Like the dryer sheet idea. We used moth balls placed strategically around in tin foil trays. Ha, you can imagine the smell is different from dryer sheets and takes a few weeks to air out in the spring. It definitely worked though.

CJD
08-30-2015, 09:01 AM
I've had a bad rat problem in our boat shed in the past...and in the storage unit where we keep the boat in dry storage. I've never had a rat in the boat, though. They can do a lotta damage if they get in, but I don't think they can get in unless you give them a route. Be sure not to lean boards or have the cover hanging over the side to the ground.

crystal waters
08-30-2015, 12:03 PM
One other suggestion that does work is to stuff fine ( not course) steel wool into any exterior openings where you feel the mice may be able to gain access into the inside of your boat.

wotan2525
08-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Dryer sheets always have worked for me. I buy a box at the .99 store and use the entire thing.

barelyfloating
08-31-2015, 10:14 AM
It's too early to think about this...LOL.

Moor
08-31-2015, 12:17 PM
I used to use moth balls, switched over to drier sheets several years ago, for when its time to wrap up the boat and cars for the winter. They work well, and smell nice.

matt k
09-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Drier sheets, mothballs, and mouse poison are usually what I use. Mothballs in plastic bags with holes poked in them helps keep the balls from discoloring anything they happen to be sitting on.

Supra@Sylvan
09-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks all who responded. It seems the consensus is - dryer sheets. For the price of them, that's the route I'll go. I might even try the bucket mouse trap inside the garage just for good measure. I appreciate the input, and I'll let you know next spring if all went well.

Zim
09-03-2015, 10:02 AM
How do you attract the mice INTO your boat? I need new interior... the mice can go nuts as far as im concerned. Just leave all the wiring alone :)

Jetlink
09-03-2015, 02:37 PM
How do you attract the mice INTO your boat? I need new interior... the mice can go nuts as far as im concerned. Just leave all the wiring alone :)

I think they would go for your wiring first but, why not just go visit your local pet store if you really want mice in your boat over the winter.

Zim
09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Hmmm..... maybe I could just run some current through all the wiring all winter so if they chew on that they get electrocuted.

Local pet store here I come. Just kidding insurance company... I wouldn't do that to you.