PDA

View Full Version : '89 Comp vs. '98 Malibu Sportster

Dinoz
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to write a blurb about my weekend skiing and what I found between my '89 Comp and a '98 Malibu I skied behind... In a nut shell, my comp kicks it's butt for a ski wake.

I will be the first to say that I am not a seasoned skier, however my wife is. And after she took a major spill behind the malibu we both agreed that the wake at 15 off, and 22 off is very hard, and larger than our Comp. Speaking to the owner of the Malibu he told us that his boat is really meant for tournament speeds, 34 to 36mph. My take on that is what good does that do for the recreational skier??? The only advantage I found with the Malibu was the 320 hp was great for the pull out, and no "pull" on the arms, but I'm sure that would be the same for any tow boat with 80hp more than the Comp.

Has anyone else out there find the Comp ski better than newer generations of ski boats? I'd love to ski behind a newer comp, or a legacy with the plate.....

Any input would be great..

DZ..

vintner
07-06-2007, 08:18 AM
You're probably right on the wake analysis of the two in question but one of our ski gang is a Malibu dealer so we get to ride behind new LXI's all the time. My SN buddies all agree that the wake on the Malibu is better than their SN's, especially at 22 off.

Dinoz
07-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I've never had the opportunity to ski behind an LXI, or a response for that matter, would love to though. I wonder how the new Comp's, or late '90 Comp's compare to that generation of the big 3 (SN, Malibu,MC)...

vintner
07-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I might find out this fall. One of the boys is going to get a new boat and he plans to try a new Comp. We have a dealer but he's just off the lake.