PDA

View Full Version : cracks in the upper haul

chuck bronstrup
02-14-2003, 03:58 PM
i own a 2001 ssv lanuch.Above the rub strip all around the boat there are small hair line cracks.They seem to be comeing from were the srews are inserted to hold the rub strip

H2Oman
02-24-2003, 10:53 AM
My 2001 Launch SS has had the same problems. I have had cracks coming from the rub rail traveling upward and have had cracks at the tower mounting points traveling from the through bolts. Skiers Choice did not cover this under the lifetime warranty. I did find a shop that would stop the cracks from getting bigger until I can afford to fix it. The temporary fix was only a couple hundred dollars and I was able to convince Skiers Choice to help pay for it. (They are great and definitely try to work with you.)

The fix was to drill very small holes into the gel coat at the end of the crack. (Just deep enough to go through the gel coat but not go into the fiberglass.) They then filled the cracks and the drill points with clear gel coat and buffed it smooth. This has stopped the cracks from continuing. You can’t see the repair unless you are looking for it. I am now saving up the money to do it right. They did recommend that your check the tightness of the tower bolts regularly. If the bolts become lose the pressure can go from the entire mounting plate to the edge of the bolts and cause the cracks. At the rub rail, ensure the holes are properly tapered into the gel coat (over drilled in size relation to the screw with a reducing radius) and don’t over tighten the screws. Good Luck in finding your solution.

SUPRA SAM
02-24-2003, 05:57 PM
I noticed some cracks in the spot you guys mention on my Legacy after about 50 hours. I have no tower though so nothing to put extra force or stress on the area. Also, it is only one the passenger side and only around 4 or five screws!!