PDA

View Full Version : New Supra Owner

FastGas
09-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Hello all. I purchased my first Supra today, a '91 Esprit with 700 hours on it for $2800. It runs great, I water tested it for about two hours this morning. It definitely needed a new prop, which I've already acquired (ACME 543), to replace the OJ 13/13. Floors/stringers are all nice and tight except for the cross-beam directly behind the walkthrough, which has backed out of one side. Its 351W runs nice and smooth, the owner had it regularly serviced and even rebuilt 200 hours ago, tranny works nicely. My only complaint is it leaks water around where the driveshaft. Not sure what the best way to remedy that is but it's insignificant. Here are some pics:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m113/ZuminaZX/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/IMAG1490_zpsrmjnrido.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/ZuminaZX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/IMAG1490_zpsrmjnrido.jpg.html)
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m113/ZuminaZX/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/IMAG1492_zpse8fy4rzg.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/ZuminaZX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/IMAG1492_zpse8fy4rzg.jpg.html)

jasun
09-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the supra family! Looks like a sharp boat! Be weary on the soft spot. Foam is probably wet too. Check your motor mounts!!!

How much water is leaking in? It should drip some as that is what is lubing the drive shaft unless you have a drip less one. It should drop a couple time a min or so. You can adjust it with a couple channel lock wrenches.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastGas
09-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the supra family! Looks like a sharp boat! Be weary on the soft spot. Foam is probably wet too. Check your motor mounts!!!

How much water is leaking in? It should drip some as that is what is lubing the drive shaft unless you have a drip less one. It should drop a couple time a min or so. You can adjust it with a couple channel lock wrenches.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It drips enough that the auto bilge turns on every few minutes, too much for my liking! I just came in from buffing/polishing it. So you're saying to tighten these two nuts together to stem the flow to a few drops a minute?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m113/ZuminaZX/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/IMAG1486_zpsycelionc.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/ZuminaZX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/IMAG1486_zpsycelionc.jpg.html)
Motor mounts are nice and tight!

FastGas
09-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Great. Figured out the leak and now it drips once every 10 seconds or so. It was flowing in fairly steadily previously. I took it out today for 3-4 hours and I'm interested in two things, 1, make it quieter! an 2, more power!

Jetlink
09-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Great. Figured out the leak and now it drips once every 10 seconds or so. It was flowing in fairly steadily previously. I took it out today for 3-4 hours and I'm interested in two things, 1, make it quieter! an 2, more power!

Quieter and more power usually go opposite of each other. If you really want to make it the quietest you can, look up FAE or Fresh Air Exhaust and either splurge for their kit or model it and make your own. As for power, what are you looking for? Better acceleration and more pull or top end? These hull designs don't really like speeds in excess of 44-45 MPH if you can even get the hull going that fast on the water.

michael hunter
09-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Sweet boat nice find . Check the engine alignment at least once a season . That will pick out any stringer issues at 2800.00 for an open bow comp you will still be fine even if you have to replace the stringers someday.

crystal waters
09-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Without getting into a myriad of items perhaps the best way to add power is to replace your heads with a set of GT- 40 heads available from Ski Dim.
There are numerous posts over the years in this regard here on the forum. Just use the search box.
What Jetlink says re speed is apropos ! For me Power translates into getting out of the hole quickly with a strong pull.
The speed issue is simply not there as these are not drag boats or racing boats per se and 46/ 47 is pretty much tops and at that you are wide open throttle.
"pinned" as some might say.
I tend not to go there as I value my engine and its long term reliability too much.

FastGas
09-14-2015, 11:21 PM
it pulls pretty well out of the hole, but I have a feeling it could do better. I saw those fresh air exhausts and really like the idea/sound reduction.
The motor was freshened/rebuilt back in 2005 and it has the HO heads. It's super smooth and has perfect compression. Not sure if the tach is bad, however it never turned more than 3000 rpm at WOT while I had it out. Airguide speedo read 40mph, but didn't check with GPS. The real trouble is I'm at high altitude (4600-5000') and the lack of oxygen puts the hurt on power.
Are the GT-40s an improvement over the HOs? I have about $4k to sink into this thing. I was thinking reupholster everything ($1200 quoted from a local shop), new stereo/speakers/amp (pyle kit for $150), Carb/mani/cam&T chain/heads ($2000?) nice tower/bimini combo ($1000-1500). I will probably replace the floors/stringers next winter. I don't mind spending some money on this thing considering similarly set up boat as what I'd like to construct bring $15k! The gelcoat is a little fuzzy but shines beautifully with a high speed buff and polishing compound.

crystal waters
09-15-2015, 11:02 AM
I believe the GT - 40 HEADS ARE APPROX 1200.00 each side ( 2400.00 total) and will add approx 25 h p to your set up.
Use the search box on this forum to learn more or call Ski Dim as they are very
knowledgeable and will answer all your questions honestly and forthright.
Perhaps a good tune up including carb and timing set up will improve your situation given your altitude.
I run at 1300 ft.
Your boat is essentially the same as mine which is a combrio model. With all the improvements and costs you are willing to incur an alternative is to sell your boat ( for a profit given your buy price) and seek out a combrio or ? That has all the work done already and runs strong. This you should be able to find for less than 10,000 IMHO

FastGas
09-15-2015, 12:09 PM
I believe the GT - 40 HEADS ARE APPROX 1200.00 each side ( 2400.00 total) and will add approx 25 h p to your set up.
Use the search box on this forum to learn more or call Ski Dim as they are very
knowledgeable and will answer all your questions honestly and forthright.
Perhaps a good tune up including carb and timing set up will improve your situation given your altitude.
I run at 1300 ft.
Your boat is essentially the same as mine which is a combrio model. With all the improvements and costs you are willing to incur an alternative is to sell your boat ( for a profit given your buy price) and seek out a combrio or ? That has all the work done already and runs strong. This you should be able to find for less than 10,000 IMHO

I'm not sure what this model is exactly. The title lists it as a combrio esprit. I have considered selling, however my only reservation is most $10,000 boats here need work as well. Usually $15,0000 gets you a clean, ready to ride example.

Jetlink
09-15-2015, 01:47 PM
If you are concerned with pull/acceleration getting out of the hole, I would make sure your carb is dialed in properly and then look at a new prop. A prop that is set up specifically for what you intend to use the boat for, engine/trans setup and altitude that you run will be a sound investment. New CNC props are in the $500 range I think and though I haven't done it yet it is on the list of things to do as I heard it is the best performance improvement that money can buy.