PDA

View Full Version : Water in 2014 SA350

PatMacC
09-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Hello

We just picked up a 2014 SA350. Love the boat! But I'm finding it drenched with water after any major rainstorm. Wondering if anyone with an SA has had similar issues, and how you've dealt with it. Any help is appreciated! More background below:

- Using the snap-in cockpit and bow covers.
- I have not waterproofed the covers. Do they come waterproofed from factory? I am first owner, although the boat has been at dealer for over a year - much of that time I presume outside.
- Because of raised edge on either side of the bow of the boat, two troughs are formed in the bow cover that fill up with rainwater, even if the cover is tight as a drum
- Boat is on a lift in a fairly flat position. Not on a trailer where I would be able to tilt the boat one way or another
- Has anyone tried the full cover (non-snap) for the SA? If so, how well does it work and would it be easy enough to put on a boat while on a lift?

I wouldn't be so worried but lots of water is getting in. Carpets are soaked, seats wet and significant water in bilge after a good rain.

Cheers,
Pat

IDBoating
09-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Do you have anti-pooling poles under the cover(s)? I'm asking because of your comment about the bow cover filling with rainwater. That's the exact thing anti-pooling poles are intended to prevent. You can buy aftermarket pooling poles, or just fabricate something similar yourself from broom handles, etc.

Back when I had a boat that didn't have anti-pooling poles, I stuck a great big beach ball in the bow and the main passenger area to hold up the cover. Worked perfectly, cost almost nothing.

Just offering some ideas.

PatMacC
09-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Yes, I have the poles installed. The problem is that that even with the bow pole as high as it can go, there are two pools created on either side of the bow cover. I guess it's partly due to the the design of the bow (raised edge) or the bow cover, but it's causing a problem.

IDBoating
09-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Can you post a photo of what the bow cover looks like when installed?

MJHKnox
09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Sounds like you need a full cockpit cover. Hard to answer the question w/o a pic of your setup. This boat looks like the water would not sit on the cover.

I would have something like this:

M-

Zim
09-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Yep, get a full cover. You might also consider having one custom made to just go over the tower and everything while you have it on a lift. No rain water would get in anywhere that way. Evolutioncovers.com is highly recommended.

bradycanderson
09-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Agreed - get the full cover. I have an SA 450 and I've never had pooling in that area. Use the tarp, put the poles up. The tarp is waterproof so nothing should leak through. My SA sits on a lift with a canopy, but I also put the cover on it. No need to get a custom tarp that goes over the tower IMHO. The factory tarp wraps around the tower and is really slick.

PatMacC
09-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Thanks for feedback! Sorry I don't have pictures of water pooling.

Sounds like I need the full cover. Is the full cover easy to install from inside boat? With our lift / dock layout I only have exterior access to one side of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDBoating
09-18-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't know about the SA's full cover, but I regularly install the full cover on my Tige 24Ve from entirely within the boat. We keep it on an AirDock next to our dock, so like you we only have access to one side. I just start in the bow, work my way toward the stern, and end on the swim platform tightening the strap. Then I climb on top of the cover over the swim platform and jump to the dock. Works perfectly. The strap pulls the cover down under the rub rail as it tightens, so no 360 degree access is required. I frankly don't think it would be any faster on the trailer.

Hope this helps!

jkaser1965
09-18-2015, 04:17 PM
I have the '15 SA with the full cover. I put it on from inside the boat all the time. Can be a bit of a pain if it is windy trying to keep the cover over the 2 points on the bow but it is doable. I sometimes have to put the windward side on to just past the tower and then go back up front and put the leeward side over the bow. Hope that makes sense. I then work my way back and finish on the swim platform.

jkaser1965
09-18-2015, 04:26 PM
One correction, I have the '14 SA and also had a '13 SA before that. Both with full covers. Regarding water, I keep my cover on and the boat sits on a lift with a canopy. However, the canopy on the lift next to mine flows water right onto the side of my boat. I get small amounts of water that comes in around the tower.

PatMacC
09-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like I will be ordering a full cover...

I like the idea of getting a canopy for my lift that will accept the tower, but from what I've read I would still want to have a cover inn the boat to keep bugs etc out. Send like a too much to for double protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk