PDA

View Full Version : Playing with my new SJCam 4000

cjtpilot
09-22-2015, 04:11 PM
https://youtu.be/1aVOEHCvw1o

chris young
09-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Cool, always fun to watch yourself ski to help with technique. If I can respectfully ask, why do you hold the handle opposite to normal convention? The other thing I noticed was hooking your elbow through the handle when you take a break. I offer this solely as a PSA, falling with your arm through the handle is a pretty much guaranteed trip to emergency. I know many of the top pros do it, but slalom skiing is already dangerous enough and I know I fall at the most innocuous times.

cjtpilot
09-23-2015, 10:18 AM
I definitely plan on using video as a coaching tool, as far as my hand position goes thats just the way I have held it since I learned to slalom. I didn't realize there is a normal way I guess.

SquamInboards
09-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Cool, always fun to watch yourself ski to help with technique. If I can respectfully ask, why do you hold the handle opposite to normal convention? The other thing I noticed was hooking your elbow through the handle when you take a break. I offer this solely as a PSA, falling with your arm through the handle is a pretty much guaranteed trip to emergency. I know many of the top pros do it, but slalom skiing is already dangerous enough and I know I fall at the most innocuous times.

Interesting about the handle hold... Is that because he's right foot forward? Or, are you saying he holds it opposite of the normal way for right foot forward?

chris young
09-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Generally if you are right foot forward, you should hold the handle with your right hand over the top and left hand under. Which ever foot is forward is the hand over the top.

I know of one pro who holds it opposite (April Coble Eller) so it's not like you can't ski well that way. I think the reason is that the goal of keeping the arms straight and elbows to the vest is easier to do on your off side pull with this hand position. Ideally (I think) you would want to have the trailing hand over and the leading hand under on every pull, but of course that's impossible, so we compromise to favour the offside pull.