PDA

View Full Version : blown gasket

trcamp100
09-23-2015, 02:56 PM
I have a 1991 Comp that just blew out a head gasket, and the head is shot. The boat is otherwise in good shape and was running well until this happened. I have several questions for the group:

1- Is around $4000 a reasonable price for a replacement engine, including labor?
2- Should I take a chance and just replace one or both heads? My mechanic, who I think is excellent, thinks that for the price difference, I should just go ahead and replace the whole engine.

Any opinions would be welcome.

wotan2525
09-23-2015, 03:56 PM
A blown headgasket is not a reason to replace an engine. $4000 for engine + labor doesn't seem insane to me if you insist on paying someone else to do it for you. That should include a warranty, however.

How many hours on the current engine? I'd pull the heads and take them to a machine shop. They should be able to re-work them for under $500. Assuming the rest of the engine is good, it should be a relatively easy fix.

crystal waters
09-23-2015, 06:02 PM
What wotan2525 said.
Pull the heads and have a reputable machine shop give you a price on a re and re.
If it simply is the heads are warped should be an easy and less expensive fix.

CJD
09-23-2015, 06:27 PM
All engines are not the same. What are you getting for $4000? New Pistons...forged or cast? New cam? New guides, rings, valves, timing chain...etc...or just a fast used rebuild?

lively
09-23-2015, 09:20 PM
what about a leak down test ? or maybe a compression test to start and maybe hook up some air to the low cylinder to verify a blown head gasket before you start throwing money at strippers !!

boat --- bust out another thousand ...

but make sure that the money is spent for whats actually the culprit .. lol my engine has had blown head gaskets , stuck valves , now 9psi oil pressure and 40psi @2500rpm ... run em till they blow ...;)

Hagman
09-23-2015, 10:23 PM
I agree with all the guys. I'm curious how many hours your engine has on it. Had mine rebuilt at 1200. My motor builder told me later we should have never taken it apart everything look great. Ford 351 Windsor is an extremely reliable engine. If it were mine I would pull the heads off o have them looked at by a reliable machine shop. And put them back on

pridekit
09-25-2015, 11:05 PM
I would second what everyone has said here. I just pulled a bad head off my GM 350 (fuel injected, etc). It took a couple of hours to get it off, and probably could have been done in an hour if I had the tools ready and didn't BS with my friends along the way. I imagine you can find a pretty good instructional/tear down video that would explain exactly how to do it. 2 brand new heads with stainless valves, plus gaskets, new head bolts (mine were torque to yield), and a case of beer is hovering around $900 on the high end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcamp100
09-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the input - and the information. I will ask the mechanic about all these things.

I won't do it myself - too little knowledge, too few tools. The engine has only around 700 hours (1991). My mechanic says the valves had been ground on one side and that was the side that blew the gasket. He says it looks like the gasket was put in poorly. This was done by the previous owner, which is another reason I won't do it myself.

The head did go to a very good machine shop, and that the verdict was it was not repairable. It sounds like I should find out why.

Where could I get new heads for this engine?

pridekit
09-30-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure which motor you have (GM 350 based, or Windsor 351), but I had good luck finding quality heads on Summit Racing (for the same price I was quoted for rebuilt with scrap parts at local shops).