PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problem in 2006 24 ssv. Anyone pulled one before?

gogger
09-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Ok. So a couple of weeks ago we spent a wonderful week in Northern Georgia doing a lot of surfing. The very last day we started to hear a funny noise coming from the engine. First thing I did was check the oil. If was a quart or so low. I knew the oil pressure had never been consistant so I really did think it was the problem. But we immeadiately added oil and no change in the sound. So we headed in. It was pretty much time to pack up and head home anyways. But running to the ramp it ran great. Plenty of power. Just a weird sound.

So when I arrived home I started it up to see if I could pinpoint the problem. Sounded like it was coming from the rear of the engine around the bell housing area. My truck mechanic said it sounded like the starter bendix was hanging up to him. So I pulled the starter and checked it out. Well there was a chunk of metal laying in the area where the bendix pops out in. But it wasn't from the starter. The starter itself looked fine. From what i could see the flywheel looked fine. I changed the oil and added about a half quart of trans fluid to trans. Started it up and still that noise.

So today I took it out to get a couple sets in. Not sure how much longer the weather is going to hold out. I wakeboarded a set no problems. Then my friend started his set with his AirChair. First run went fine. Then when he went to get up the second time. I hit the throttle and it started to go but then something let go and we were dead in the water. Engine still ran fine. Basically felt like the prop fell off.

I check the shifter and it was moving everything as it should. Nothing visable was wrong. So we had to get towed to the dock and which the big girl on the trailer. Which is no easy task.

My guess is the bolts that attach the transmission to the engine flywheel and started to back out or one or more had broken and then the rest let go when I hit the gas. The transmission has never slipped or acted like it was failing.

I need to know is it possible to pull the transmission with out removing the engine? Assuming the Vdrive will have to come out with the transmission. Looks like I have to remove a lot of interior components to be able to get to everything. I pulled a lot of stuff out of the boat today and put it in the basement. I am guessing this isn't going to be a real quick fix. Would like to be able to get it back together in case we get some more warm weather, but I am doubting I get her done quickly.

Anyone else had any problems like this? Anyone pulled their own transmission on a v drive? I am sure their are plenty out there that have done so. Should I have the transmission rebuilt while it is out?

I plan on trying to get the interior out of the way and the floor up tomorrow so I can see what is going on a little better. Also going to remove the starter and see if there is more metal there.

Also I was reaching around under the trans feeling the prop shaft and noticed there is something on the shaft with a hose running to it? And there were several loose hose clamps on the shaft also. Not sure what they were doing. Hoping I can see better under there after the floor panel is up right by the motor.

Let me hear your ideas and suggestions.

CJD
09-28-2015, 04:13 AM
Sounds like the flex plate cracked. It's happened to several owners on the forum. The tranny does have to come out to replace it.

leetudor
09-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Did the noise start as a clicking sound that changed with speed? If so could be the drive plate. Just have to slide the trans and v-drive back to replace.

carlossa
09-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Gogger
Yes the trans can be removed and leave the engine behind. In the instance of my 04 Launch, I attached a strap around the rear pylon and to the lifting points on the rear of the engine for support. I pulled the v drive then disconnected the trans mounts at the side of the trans. I left the flexible feet and adjustments alone so as to get an easier re-alignment once it all went back together. If you have trouble pulling the trans, it will be the center spline of the trans and the flex corroded together. There is also a plate with two bolts underneath that is the flex/bell housing cover. This needs to come off as it will foul on the flex plate. Also when its apart, if you choose not to re-build the transmission, change the front pump seal as its a $6 part, 6 bolts and some loctite. Good luck and dont forget there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum.
Regards Carl from downunder

gogger
09-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Started the process. Pulled the seat frames and the part of the floor over the v drive. Admired all the rust from the fresh (brackish) water it was ran in before I bought it. I am going to replace every hose clamp that I never seen before. Looks like a big project. But I am going to give it a try.

gogger
09-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Started the process. Pulled the seat frames and the part of the floor over the v drive. Admired all the rust from the fresh (brackish) water it was ran in before I bought it. I am going to replace every hose clamp that I never seen before. Looks like a big project. But I am going to give it a try.

lively
09-28-2015, 10:01 PM
i dont believe you ... take pictures we wanna see the project !

MJHKnox
09-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Good luck and keep everyone posted on what you are finding.

Mark

gogger
09-29-2015, 06:31 PM
I am assuming I can seperate the V-drive from the trans. That should make it a little easier. Looks heavy all together. Raining here tonight so I will probably take the v-drive off tomorrow evening and get some of the stuff out of the way so I can get the trans off.

Just curious if anyone knows what the hose from the exhaust manifold that runs to something on the prop shaft? Is that part of the prop shaft packing?

MJHKnox
09-29-2015, 06:53 PM
A classic: “ . . . . . relax. Alright. My old man is a television repair man. He’s got this ultimate set of tools. I CAN FIX IT . . . .”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Nod65e7o

gogger
09-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Well Mark, a service manual would be a great help. lol. Not really anyone around these parts that I trust more than myself to work on it. I could take it to Donny. But I am not sure he does these kind of repairs. I will continue working on it for now. Actually was a mechanic for a while. Even ASE certified. Of course that was a while ago. And none of the cars were V-drives.

Salty87
09-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Just curious if anyone knows what the hose from the exhaust manifold that runs to something on the prop shaft? Is that part of the prop shaft packing?

Guessing it's to a dripless seal?

MJHKnox
09-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Well Mark, a service manual would be a great help. lol. Not really anyone around these parts that I trust more than myself to work on it. I could take it to Donny. But I am not sure he does these kind of repairs. I will continue working on it for now. Actually was a mechanic for a while. Even ASE certified. Of course that was a while ago. And none of the cars were V-drives.

ASE cert. Nice.

Did you get a transmission number/model from the name plate?

My 2007 came with a small operating manual for the ZF model transmission. Nothing like a shop manual.
Back in the I/O days when I worked on my previous boats, I had the Alpha and Bravo shop manuals b/c those drives were so popular.
It made it easier to know how to take something off/order to put it back on. Plus, all the part numbers.

Donnie may not work on them, but he would know people that do or where to get order parts.

wotan2525
09-30-2015, 09:57 AM

That cools the dripless seal bearing/mating surface.

pridekit
09-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Post some pictures and we may be able to help identify the v-drive and trans. My boat has a Walter RV-26 v drive and ZF-45 IV Transmission. There aren't great service manuals available for these parts, but it's better than nothing.

gogger
10-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Will get some pics on tonight I hope. Seems mother nature forgot about October and went straight to late November. But looks like she is reverting back to October later today. Going to try and pull the V-Drive this afternoon and maybe the trans tomorrow. Then get the Bell housing off next. Need to figure out what parts I need. Hopefully Skidim Carries what I need. If not maybe I can call the Dealer by Mark and have him ship it.

carlossa
10-16-2015, 04:35 PM
How is the progress going Gogger?

gogger
10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Well life has slowed me down a bit working on it. And since I am not real sure what I am do I haven't pushed myself to work on it. Started back tonight on removing the v drive. Not the easiest nuts to get off. Nuts on studs coming out of the tranny. Still one I can't get off. Can't get sockets on them and I need a 13mm 6 point wrench. So I ordered one off ebay. Hopefully with that I can just get that last nut off and then pull the tranny. Doesn't look like many bolts holding the trans to the bell housing. So that shouldn't be too bad except for the mounts. Do I need to support the rear of the engine when I pull the transmission loose. Doesn the v drive just pull off or is it some how bolted to the trans. I am posting a few pics. See that inspection plate? Do I have to loosen those bolts to pull it off? 16728

gogger
10-26-2015, 10:09 PM
more pics

gogger
10-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Of course you can see how the "brackish" water affected the metal parts. Going to clean and paint and replace all hose clamps before she goes back together. Goal is to have it back together before winter. May not get to lake test it, but I will have the biggest part done before spring.

carlossa
10-27-2015, 12:38 AM
Gogger
The bolts within the inspection plate do not need to come off. The trans and V drive have a splined connection. Once you get all the v-drive bolts undone (6 I think) it should jiggle forward and separate. And you will definitely need to support the back of the motor for the trans removal. Also dont overlook lip seals and stainless studs when the re-assembly happens.
Good luck
Carl

gogger
10-27-2015, 05:35 AM
Well we have a couple days of rain coming. And then I will get back in there and hopefully get that last nut off. Where are the lip seals your talking about?

gogger
11-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Well I finally got the V-drive off. The floor had to come up over the gas tank so I could get it far enough Forward to get it off the shaft. Now have to prop the engine up so that I can pull the trans loose. Guess in just slides out and then I can work on the bell housing. I would have pulled the trans tonight, but getting dark at 5:45 pm makes it tough to work on it. Just hard to stay motivated. Going to wire brush the v drive and paint it up. Brackish water has it looking shabby. Amazing how much dirt was behind and under everything. Thought the interior of my boat was pretty clean, until I started taking it apart. Every place you couldn't see was terrible.

Jetlink
11-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Thought the interior of my boat was pretty clean, until I started taking it apart. Every place you couldn't see was terrible.

Said the same thing this time last year when I tore my boat apart and I am sure everyone who has done a cap off said the same.

roosm
11-18-2015, 04:47 AM
Well I finally got the V-drive off. The floor had to come up over the gas tank so I could get it far enough Forward to get it off the shaft. Now have to prop the engine up so that I can pull the trans loose. Guess in just slides out and then I can work on the bell housing. I would have pulled the trans tonight, but getting dark at 5:45 pm makes it tough to work on it. Just hard to stay motivated. Going to wire brush the v drive and paint it up. Brackish water has it looking shabby. Amazing how much dirt was behind and under everything. Thought the interior of my boat was pretty clean, until I started taking it apart. Every place you couldn't see was terrible.

Guess in just slides out and then I can work on the bell housing.

I have a 2001 Supra Launch SSV and had to pull my trans 2 years ago since the damper plate broke, well a couple of the springs did.
The engine was pulled in 2008 and back then we had no problem, it was still in Georgia by then and only seen fresh water. It just slid off. It was the guy/mechanic selling the boat to me that pulled it though.
Now in the off-season of 2013/14 it had seen 5 seasons of salt water here in Sweden and it didn't just slide off. The shaft was badly corroded and stuck to the damper plate.

I found another thread on here describing how to pull it, think it was on a 454 and not a 350 like mine, but everything was really the same.

We choose to unmount the trans-mounts from the boat itself and then unbolted all the bell housing bolts. We put a hoist/engine lift on the engine to support it.
Now when got to the part where it said "slide" the transmission off, we got it moving maybe 1/8 of an inch. Then it was stuck.
First we tried prying with a screw driver, then a crow bar, finally we used two 5 feet iron bar levers together with a 10 pound sledgehammer and put all the force we could on it and finally we actually broke one of the mounts on the damper plate. Then we had to unscrew the rest of the bolts holding the damper plate to the flywheel through our little gap.
After all of this we got the transmission off the engine. But to get the damper plate off the transmission we finally used an angle grinder and split the damper plate "female" shaft in half. Left a small mark on the shaft on the trans, but works fine.

Hopefully you won't have to go through something similar. I guess the mechanic didn't put any grease on the shaft when remounting the engine (do that!) and that the salt water is far worse than the brackish.

Bottom line. Make sure you unbolt all the bell housing bolts and either the trans from the mounts or the mounts from the boat and then try to slide it off. If you can only move it a very small amount don't spend too much time looking for the bolt that you forgot (god knows I did). Don't be surprised if it needs quite a bit of force between the bell housing and the engine. If all else failed I have heard you can drill a hole in the bell housing and use a socket wrench through the hole to unscrew the damper plate from the engine. Though I don't know how to be sure of where to drill the hole?

Hopefully yours just slides off.

I know I could have saved several hours of looking for the invisible bolt and prying with a screwdriver or just pulling on it, jiggling it if I had known what to expect.

edit
Might be this thread: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10382-Fiy-damper-plate-replacement

gogger
11-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks. Hopefully it comes off easier than that.

gogger
12-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Finally got the transmission pulled out. The dampner plate broke off the flywheel. Ordered a new one today. Hopefully I get it in installed before winter arrives. Took about 12 hours labor to get everything out and pulled. I pulled and reinstalled the engine and transmission out of the pirata in about four hours. lol

CJD
12-12-2015, 11:51 AM
It's a shame the flex plate isn't more durable, considering how hard it is to get to it!

CornRickey
12-13-2015, 03:25 PM
That hose is for the dripless shaft seal.

gogger
12-22-2015, 08:09 PM
I will add a picture of the new dampner plate shortly, but it is much more heavy duty. So apparently it is a known problem, or I doubt someone would have designed a heavier duty one.

gogger
04-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Well I got the transmission back in and set it down in place a few months ago. Recently I started to reassemble everything else and was checking the bell housing bolts to make tightened them down well. Snapped one off. There are two that look like studs with nuts on them and then another nut holds the ecm in place on them. One of them broke. So now I am going to pull the trans again and get it out so I can replace it. Any idea where to find a new bolt/stud like that? Think a dealer would get me one?

MJHKnox
04-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Well I got the transmission back in and set it down in place a few months ago. Recently I started to reassemble everything else and was checking the bell housing bolts to make tightened them down well. Snapped one off. There are two that look like studs with nuts on them and then another nut holds the ecm in place on them. One of them broke. So now I am going to pull the trans again and get it out so I can replace it. Any idea where to find a new bolt/stud like that? Think a dealer would get me one?

Don't know the answer, but if you call Skiers Choice or the local Supra dealer (Premier Watersports in Knoxville) I will pick it up for you and mail it. I would call SC. Text me.

leetudor
04-27-2016, 09:49 PM

What about a Fastenal?