PDA

View Full Version : Quest for the perfect wake!

plav77
09-27-2015, 10:43 PM
I figured it would be best to start my own thread of trying to get the perfect wake out of my boat.
Just purchased a 2002 Supra Launch - Direct Drive (Not a SS or SSV, just a Launch)
It came with 500 LB ballast in the Bow and 500 in the back locker, both hooked up on switches which is nice.
With the ballasts full the wave was ugly and not big enough so I came here looking for suggestions.
Built a custom wake gate last night to try out today after reading a bunch of posts.
This was a quick 1hr prototype build, I will make a nicer one later.

This is my configuration today
9.5 MPH
500 LB Bow
500 LB Rear Locker
750 LB Surf Side (New got yesterday)
Wake Gate

We went out today and first tried it without the wake gate and it wasn't a clean wave. Once I installed the wake gate you could tell the difference.
Next we played around with the speed, started at 11 MPH and ended up happy at 9.5 MPH, check out the video to see what you think.

https://youtu.be/WWyYoicWkhg
This was only my 4th time surfing so I'm still a rookie, I'm sure you experts wouldn't have much issue on this wave.
I started to get the hang of it after a couple rides. My buddy who is 180LB could not go ropeless though. I think the 4ft4 happy pill wasn't enough of a board for him.
This is my ride, not the best video since my 10 year old is recording!!!

https://youtu.be/RZAaddvSTuA

My platform is definitely digging into the wake so I will be building a new one like Trayson did.
Tomorrow my buddy is bringing another 750LB bag so we are going to try that on the other side of the motor.
Another thought is to get 1 or 2 of the 155LB bags and put them on the back seat surf side.

Any other thoughts or questions on how I can get this wake PERFECT!
I will update a new video tomorrow of it with the added 750LB

Thanks for reading and giving your comments!

2500HD
09-28-2015, 10:03 PM
You have 2 choices.
1 is to slam one side and add all the weight you are comfortable with to one side.
2 is to go with even weight in the back and add either tabs or a gate.
For a platform, gate and my eventual surftabs you can see everything in this thread. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14955-DIY-Wake-shaper

2500HD
09-28-2015, 10:30 PM
I just watched your video.
I would try less angle on your gate. a lot of people think that 22 degrees is the magic number and it's just not. There are to many variables #1 being the hull, every hull is different. #2 is size of gate. I would try an adjustable gate and narrow it down to what is optimal for your boat. Also realize that #of people and there placement will have a big effect on the wave, no two times out are the same for me. It takes a while to figure your boat out but you will get it dialed.

plav77
09-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the reply 2500HD! Ya my gate is at 22 degrees like others suggested. I would have to figure out how to build an adjustable one without buying one.
This is from yesterday.

This was my configuration today
10.5 MPH (1 MPH faster)
500 LB Bow & Rear Locker
750 LB Surf Side and Non Surf Side (So another 750 LB compared to yesterday)
Wake Gate

So I was running even weight and using the wake gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMst1JxInWY

plav77
09-29-2015, 12:14 PM
This is me riding the wake, WAYYYY better than yesterday! If I wasn't such a rookie wake surfer I think I could ride that all day.
My family liked my little dance at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_X7MYgp9gI

I don't have a big family so I think I'm going to get 2 155LB cubes to put on the back seat surf side.
Besides that I wouldn't mind taking the back platform off and seeing how much that has an effect on the wave.

Thoughts? Paul

2500HD
09-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Looks like your figuring it out. It's all a matter of trial and error. Just remember that all the weight in the back will give you a tall steep but short wave and weight towards the front will give you a shorter but longer wave. If it was me i would get 2 400 pound sacks to move around. You don't have to always fill them all the way up but with the 155's you can't add more. You will be suprised at how much more weight you will want to add as you progress.
Happy surfing

plav77
09-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Good idea on the 400's, I will look into that. I borrowed my buddies 750 LB bag for the other side of the motor. I'm wondering if I should purchase a 1100 LB for the surf side of the motor and have the 750 LB on the other side.
How much will removing the platform dig help my wave? Also is what way will it help?

2500HD
09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Good idea on the 400's, I will look into that. I borrowed my buddies 750 LB bag for the other side of the motor. I'm wondering if I should purchase a 1100 LB for the surf side of the motor and have the 750 LB on the other side.
How much will removing the platform dig help my wave? Also is what way will it help?

Think of the swim deck as a giant trim tab not allowing your wave to reach its full height. I would say I gained at least 6 inches of wave height by building my own platform.