PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new Ghetto surf setup on my 2007 Launch 21V

cbm4ua
10-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to post some pics of my new setup on my 2007 Launch 21V. I bought the boat back in July and I've been tinkering with it since then to try and dial in a surfable wake. First thing I did, based on the feedback I got from this forum was to upgrade the rear ballast from the stock 400lb bags to 800lb bags on each side of the engine. I have a 650lb bag in the front ski locker and I'm putting a 400lb bag on top of the seats in the bow to give me about a 1000lbs up front. The first couple of trips to the lake I was running with 800lbs rear surfside, 400lbs rear non-surfside, and about 1000lbs up front. I played with the speed and weight but I could never get a surfable wave. After seeing some video of a new aftermarket system that will be coming out in 2016 I got the idea to use a plastic molded skateboard ramp (purchased one from Amazon for $20) and industrial strength Velcro (purchased from Home Depot for $10) to make a ghetto surf system that can be easily transferred to each side of the boat for std vs goofy riders. I was finally able to get to the lake yesterday afternoon to test it and it was a success. Pics shown below with both rear 800lb bags full and 1000lbs upfront with no one in the boat but my wife driving. I was finally able to throw the rope.

ORIF
10-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I like it!

Simple and cheap!

cbm4ua
10-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Here is a pic WITHOUT the ramp installed:

Here is a picture WITH the ramp installed:

Both pics are with the boat evenly weighted and running at 11.4 MPH. I couldn't surf this wake though because it didn't have enough push. Had to slow it down to 9.4 MPH to get enough push and I never took comparison pics at that speed. Only pics are the ones above with me riding.

wotan2525
10-06-2015, 06:01 PM
I think this is great and the surf gate stuff is great, but I also think that you should learn to ride/weight a boat and then use a device to enhance that weight. You didn't go through the right steps to make your boat surfable and I think you're probably leaving some performance (height/length/push) on the table.

cbm4ua
10-06-2015, 11:48 PM
I think this is great and the surf gate stuff is great, but I also think that you should learn to ride/weight a boat and then use a device to enhance that weight. You didn't go through the right steps to make your boat surfable and I think you're probably leaving some performance (height/length/push) on the table.

I agree that I'm definitely leaving some performance on the table and I fully intend to keep tinkering with all the variables to try and make the wake even better. I still think I need a little more weight (maybe 200-300lbs) in the front to lengthen the pocket. However, this was a definite confidence booster and much needed given the amount of $$$ I have sank into buying this boat and then upgrading ballast, buying equipment, etc. I needed to know I could make this boat surfable before I continue to put more resources into enhancing the performance.

2500HD
10-07-2015, 08:20 AM
I agree that I'm definitely leaving some performance on the table and I fully intend to keep tinkering with all the variables to try and make the wake even better. I still think I need a little more weight (maybe 200-300lbs) in the front to lengthen the pocket. However, this was a definite confidence booster and much needed given the amount of $$$ I have sank into buying this boat and then upgrading ballast, buying equipment, etc. I needed to know I could make this boat surfable before I continue to put more resources into enhancing the performance.

You need to decrease your bow weight, put that 400 bag in the middle and start draining your bow ballast. This will improve the height and push.

cbm4ua
10-07-2015, 10:10 AM
You need to decrease your bow weight, put that 400 bag in the middle and start draining your bow ballast. This will improve the height and push.

I was wondering if I should move it back to see what it does to the wake. I'm particularly interested to see what it will do to the wake at higher surf speeds (i.e. 11-12 MPH range) because the best looking wake I had was at 11.4 MPH, but it certainly did not have the height or push to surf.

2500HD
10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I was wondering if I should move it back to see what it does to the wake. I'm particularly interested to see what it will do to the wake at higher surf speeds (i.e. 11-12 MPH range) because the best looking wake I had was at 11.4 MPH, but it certainly did not have the height or push to surf.
Bow weight will lengthen the wave but you usually lose height which equals push. A ghetto gate will also lengthen the wave. So your best bet with a ghetto gate is to move the weight towards the middle to the back at least this has been my experience.

jtryon
10-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Both pics are with the boat evenly weighted and running at 11.4 MPH.
to be fair, that's not a great comparison because without any sort of surf tab/ramp/gate you'd have to list the boat for a decent surf wake. i'm sure your wake is improved with the ramp installed, but any non-listed, non-gated wave is going to be awful.

SuperSam
10-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Can u list the boat over and still use the ramp to lengthen the pocket? Im thinking about making this myself but live the push I get with my saltare when I list it with 1500lbs but would like to lengthen the pocket more with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

plav77
10-09-2015, 02:22 PM
I ordered the same ramp and am going to test this out in comparison to my wake gate that I built.
My gate works great but my son rides the opposite side so will be a pain to build two gates!
Sure would be nice if it performs the same! Similar concept to the Ronix Wake Shaper http://www.ronixwakestore.com/eight-3-wake-surf-shaper.html
I have even weight in my boat right now (800LB Rear and Front, 750LB either side of engine) and can drop the rope no problem.
Planning on building a new platform and adding around 400LB to the surf side back seat.
Hope to get out Thursday next week and give an update.

cbm4ua
10-10-2015, 09:13 AM
to be fair, that's not a great comparison because without any sort of surf tab/ramp/gate you'd have to list the boat for a decent surf wake. i'm sure your wake is improved with the ramp installed, but any non-listed, non-gated wave is going to be awful.

completely agree

cbm4ua
10-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Can u list the boat over and still use the ramp to lengthen the pocket? Im thinking about making this myself but live the push I get with my saltare when I list it with 1500lbs but would like to lengthen the pocket more with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I haven't tried listing the boat with the ramp installed, but I'm thinking about trying it to see if I can clean up the wave a bit. If I get a chance to get out again in the next week or so I'll post an update. I'm running out of warm weather though and may not get to go out again this year.

cbm4ua
10-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Got to take the boat out for a few hours yesterday afternoon after work. As 2500HD suggested I moved the 400lb bag to the middle of the boat and the height and push of the wave was much much better. I took a short video and you can see the wave has much better curl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZzasH3W-k

I also tested the goofy side for the first time and the wave on the goofy side was even better. I don't have video because I was driving while my goofy footed buddy was riding. The wave on the goofy side seemed a little bigger and for whatever reason it was really clean and didn't have as much whitewash. I assume this difference is a result of the prop rotation.

cbm4ua
10-15-2015, 02:27 PM
here some video of the wake on the goofy side. It was my wife's first time getting up on the surfboard so pay no attention to the rider's ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbaqIs5Gznc

jtryon
10-15-2015, 02:32 PM
that wave looks great!