PDA

View Full Version : please help me setup my new toy

charlies86supra
07-08-2007, 12:47 AM
hi all! i recently purchased and restored an 86 comp. (pics coming soon) i love it so far but... im new to inboards and i was expecting a smaller wake, can you guys please help me get the setup right on this boat! im running minimal gear in the boat, and the wake plate is running true with the bottom. seems like alot of you like running it a little down?! like i said im new to inboards but not boats, so i do need a little help. how far out should i be skiing and at what speed. thanks all in advance for your help!! thanks, charlie

vintner
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm surprised to find that you think the wake is too much. I'm guessing you're on a slalom sk??? My opinion is that 28 MPH is a good start then give the driver the thumbs up or thumbs down with what you feel comfortable with. I've always skied with 15' off of a standard 75' rope.

I have seen that most people put their wake plate 1/4 of an inch below the bottom of the boat. That's where mine is. I have often considered letting it up a bit. Here's why. If you ski behind a Ski Natique (or my old American Skier) you have a bit of a rooster in the middle that dissipates into nothing. The rooster is sort of high but is very aereated (sp??) and you slip right throug it. A MasterCraft has a bit of a table and a v forms after it. This is very similar to what the Supra does from what I've seen. I've oftern wondered if you raised the wake plate a bit if it would be more of a rooster. Maybe someone else here has tried it. I can ski behind either type of wake if my form stays true, they're just different but I think I prefer the first to the second.

Congrats on the boat. You've got a great machine. Just work on the skiing. Take a lesson somewhere. Watch some good videos. Go to www.schnitzskis.com for some tips and some ideas on good videos to watch.

Dinoz
07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey Charlie,

Congrats on the boat. I know exactly where your coming from. I've normally had outboards before my '89 Comp, and my wife which has been skiing for 20 years now has always skied behind outboards as well, so when we got the Comp, we were surprised on the wake as well. What we have leard is that these boats need to run at miminum 30mph, higher the better, but don't go over your ability either. We do have the plate set 1/4" down as well. The amount you put the plate down will depend on your usually speed you run as well, but do not go too far down either (as per Owners manual for that year of Comp's).

What you'll find is that your technique is really important behind an inboard. You must keep in your angle as you cross the wakes, or you'll find yourself shooting for the moon if your flat going across. If you stay in your angle, you will find yourself cutting through the wake, you'll know it when you do, it's like nothing is there when you get it right.

Hope that helps, let us know how it goes..

DZ.