PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Supra Launch Winterizing Question

plav77
11-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Just got a boat this summer and going to winterize it myself. I've done my RV lots of times but first time on a boat.
It gets pretty cold up here in canada and I'd feel better knowing my water system is full of Antifreeze then draining it and missing something.
Also all the local shops I called use antifreeze and don't just drain the water out.
I see allot of instructions on how to drain the water out and not use antifreeze but not any how to use it.
Is it simply using a Fake-a-lake and pumping it into your system?
Also where can I get a part list of the Oil Filter and Impeller I need to purchase?
I'm guessing Synthetic Oil is recommended?
Thanks for any help.
Paul

leetudor
11-09-2015, 07:09 AM
I use Pennzoil marine 15w40 oil and your impeller should be a Johnson 09812b.

plav77
11-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Do most people use an oil extractor or drain the oil out the bottom some how?

wotan2525
11-09-2015, 01:34 PM
You'll have to check if you have a hose connected to your oil pan. Not sure what models/engines have it (or if someone was able to add one at some point.) If that is there, you can drain out the bottom. If it's not, you'll have to use an extractor.

And for the RV antifreeze, pull your thermostat out, attach a hose to your raw water pickup (you may be able to pull it off the transmission cooler and either create a fitting or just stuff the hose into the transmission cooler, place the other end in a bucket of antifreeze and start it up. I run 6 gallons through my system. I don't drain it but I know many people are more comfortable draining it once they are done. It's all up to you.

CJD
11-09-2015, 02:11 PM
There are many nooks and crannies in an engine. With 2 banks you can never be sure if the antifreeze is getting to both, or just running through one side and not the other. The safe thing to do is to drain everything. Then, catch 22, if you drain averything, what's the point of wasting time with antifreeze??

The first time is the hardest, but after one winterization, I can drain all the water from the engine/drive train in 10 minutes. Changing the fluids takes much longer!

crystal waters
11-09-2015, 04:10 PM
There are many nooks and crannies in an engine. With 2 banks you can never be sure if the antifreeze is getting to both, or just running through one side and not the other. The safe thing to do is to drain everything. Then, catch 22, if you drain averything, what's the point of wasting time with antifreeze??

The first time is the hardest, but after one winterization, I can drain all the water from the engine/drive train in 10 minutes. Changing the fluids takes much longer!

Change your oil and impeller. Wise move that will save you grief in years to come.
Fog your engine or at least your cylinders with fogging oil, another long term wise move.
Drain the water from your engine etc.
Then add antifreeze. Not a waste of time but rather smart insurance. Far less time and cost as compared to replacing a cracked block etc.
Take the long road and relax knowing you covered the bases and did it right!

plav77
11-10-2015, 01:43 PM
How can I find out what oil filter I need for my boat? 2002 Supra Launch.
Should I call Supra or do they all use the Fram PH30 filter?
Thanks. Paul

crystal waters
11-10-2015, 04:56 PM
How can I find out what oil filter I need for my boat? 2002 Supra Launch.
Should I call Supra or do they all use the Fram PH30 filter?
Thanks. Paul

What motor is in your boat?
If in doubt re filter contact skidim
Skiers Discount Marine

plav77
11-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Indmar Assault EFI, 320 HP

CJD
11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Wix 51069 will work.

leetudor
11-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Pennzoil PZ45 also.

roosm
11-18-2015, 10:53 AM
I use my boat in salt water and leaving the block empty would corrode / rust the **** of the engine.
Oxygen is worse than saltwater once the salt is in there...

I have a supra launch 2001 ssv and what I do is this:

Disconnect the raw water hose going to the v-drive.
Put a garden hose going into a hose going to the v-drive.
Run engine up to operating temp.
Drain engine of water.
Run engine with about 4-5 gallons of 40/60 or 50/50 anti-freeze water mix. I just pour the antifreeze down a hose connected to the v-drive
As the anti-freeze-mix start to run out, have someone spray fogging spray into the TBI (don't know how this would work with EFI).
Turn off engine.
Drain engine of oil out the hose from the oil pan.
Drain transmission and v-drive of oil using a vacuum hand pump. (Use a good pump with a thin hose, saves lots of time.)
Refill all fluids.
Disconnect batteries.
Disconnect all spark plugs and spray with fogging spray in each cylinder.
Reinstall all spark plugs.

That is about it.

Mine use the pennzoil PZ3 or equivalent.

We have seen temps in the -20/25 celcius range and no problems so far.

Good luck!

Mike