PDA

View Full Version : Please be aware of a safety issue !

nopremix
07-12-2007, 05:20 PM
My 6 year old daughter accidently jammed her foot past the ankle between the back platform and the stainless railing that is offset from the platform. I was sure glad to be right there when it happend, because she fell backward in the water while pinned in that position and almost drowed, because she her foot was stuck between the platform and the rail. While she was underwater she was unable to make any noise to let me know she was in trouble. Again thank God I saw it happen and pulled her out of the water. I then had to spray dish soap on her shin and ankle and got her ankle free while she was screaming in pain. Thank goodness it was not broken, as I thought it was at first.

I think something should be done to address this unsafe design issue, although as an adult I like being able to grab that railing and hoist myself out of the water.

I also think, any adult could accidently slide part of their foot between the platform and railing and potentially have an incident with a fracture invovled.

Just wanted you all to be aware of what happend and hopefully the boys from SC will see this post and address the issue.

-Robert

gmarkham1
07-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow.... I will definately be paying more attention when small limbed people are on the back of the boat....

Diggs
07-13-2007, 04:10 PM
interesting post.... to be totally honest I love that rail cause it makes getting in and out of the water easy and it finishes off the boat nicely, but i did push my friend off the platform last week and he got his toe stuck in there and broke his toe. I almost got my foot stuck in there several weeks back too. I was in no danger, but could see it being a real doozy getting it back out...
Glad everyone is alright and might be right about taking another look at that design, even though I would hate to see it go.....

IndyMatt
07-17-2007, 11:15 AM
I think that is a very interesting point & somthing we should all be aware of. I think the situation with your young daughter was certainly a freak occurance, as im sure we could sit and come up with an extensive lists of ways to become injured while boating. I think the thing to remember from this is to be extremely aware or your surroundings as well that of your childrens activities. Just tossing a PFD on them isnt enough. I see too many accidents including fatalities that simple awareness would of prevented. If this is a real worry, the rails do remove easily if you wish. Lets keep the heads up and not push too hard on this issue... I dont want to have to put any more stickers on my boat.

jclose8
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't think it is a freak occurance... The same thing happened to my daughter when she was about 3. She would stand on the edge of the swim platform and jump outwards into the water where I was treading water. (she was wearing a vest) As she jumped, her toes went down in-between and jammed in there. She fell forward, face first, into the water, and was stuck there, unable to free her foot.
As above, I was right there... saw it happen and reacted quickly. It is definitely something to be aware of.

H2Oman
07-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I have had two boats with this style of rail and have been conscious with everyone on my boat about not letting their foot get caught in there. My son slipped and caught his leg in there when he was younger. He was ok and had his back to the water. It is just something I have to teach kids on my boat to be careful around. Its design is a great aid to get out of the water but can catch feet and smaller limbs if they aren't careful. I would hate to loose it because we use it so much.

nopremix
07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I am just wondering if there is a way to alter the design, I would think there has to be a possibility. As I mentioned, I like using the rail to get out of the water, but it sure makes me nervous now when the kids are playing on that deck. I may take mine off for now as a short term solution.

indyeng24
07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for sharing this. We have no less than 3 children under 4 y/o with us almost every time out. They love to play on the swim deck. I will be sure to inform all of the adults in the boats to be even more aware. It only takes one freak accident to ruin alot of lives forever.

wakespeak
08-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Have also had this happen ('07 22V). 6 year old daughter diving off platform. Foot stuck between rail and platform. We had to pull her foot out and were glad she had her life jacket on (which insist she always wear). She was able to roll around and keep her head above water.

Skiers Choice should change this design to possibly a deep indentation in a molded platform. I have seen wooden platforms on other boats with just 2 4" openings at the edge.