PDA

View Full Version : Boat model info please

War wagon
11-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Well I finna have come to terms with the demise of my beast and am going to try and find another supra for next season. I am not supper familiar with the difference between all the models from the 80s/ early 90s. Could you guys give me a run down on the difference between a sunsport, Maria and saltair please? Also if anyone needs parts off of an 87 beast let me know. Thanks in advance for the knowledge

Straitcountry86
11-24-2015, 02:05 AM
Out Of the ones you listed, the Mariah is a low profile ski boat with an open bow. Basically the sports coupe of the lineup, along with the comp. It will handle the best and have the best overall performance, but it won't handle chop well and interior comfort is not as good due to the shallower hull and less freeboard. You'll also likely get a lot of water splashed on your passengers. Definitely the best pure water skiing boat out of the ones you listed, but not great for wakeboarding.

Sunsport has a much deeper hull and thus can handle chop much better, and interior comfort is greater. It's a heavier boat so performance isn't quite as good as the Mariah, but it's still a very capable tow boat. The wake will not be as flat as a Mariah , but the sunsport is much better for Wakeboarding.

The Saltare is basically the Cadillac of the lineup. It's longer bigger and heavier than all other Supras. They often come with a 454 rather than a 351 so prepare to use a ton of fuel. If you want a huge boat with the most luxury, go with the Saltare.

I personally own a sunsport and think it's a nice balance between comfort and performance. Plenty of room for people to hang out and lounge around on the boat, won't beat you up through chop, yet it's still an amazing tow boat that can be set up nicely for skiing or wakeboarding.

Cusefan78
11-24-2015, 11:37 AM
There is also the labrisa which is between the comp and salt in size. They are open bow have more freeboard then a comp. they are the red headed step child of the supra family but bang for buck I love my supra.

crystal waters
11-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Well I finna have come to terms with the demise of my beast and am going to try and find another supra for next season. I am not supper familiar with the difference between all the models from the 80s/ early 90s. Could you guys give me a run down on the difference between a sunsport, Maria and saltair please? Also if anyone needs parts off of an 87 beast let me know. Thanks in advance for the knowledge

Here are copies of a few brochures I have that may assist you.

War wagon
11-25-2015, 01:22 AM
Right on, thanks for the info!

So what's the consensus on original stringers? If the floor feels pretty good and the motor mounts seem to tighten up properly is there such a thing as an original boat still having good stingers or are they all on borrowed time?

crystal waters
11-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Right on, thanks for the info!

So what's the consensus on original stringers? If the floor feels pretty good and the motor mounts seem to tighten up properly is there such a thing as an original boat still having good stingers or are they all on borrowed time?

Thats a loaded question. Personally I feel so much depends on care and attention given the boat by previous owner(s).
If the condition of the boat is one that appears remarkably looked after, if there is evidence of ongoing care and maintenance including winter storage ( being put away high and dry) , if the boat hasnt been left months on end , year after year tied to a slip but rather brought out of water after each use and dried inside and out , then there is good chance your stringers are in good shape. Never a guarantee however!
I have seen boats where they have been used hard, left tied to a buoy or dock with much water sloshing in the bilge for long periods of time. Not good!
Simply my humble opinion, others may argue otherwise.
I have kept mine out of water on a lift in season and in heated storage in winter, but always ensured she is tight and dry after
every use. Stringers are awesome as a result.

Straitcountry86
11-25-2015, 02:10 AM
Thats a loaded question. Personally I feel so much depends on care and attention given the boat by previous owner(s).
If the condition of the boat is one that appears remarkably looked after, if there is evidence of ongoing care and maintenance including winter storage ( being put away high and dry) , if the boat hasnt been left months on end , year after year tied to a slip but rather brought out of water after each use and dried inside and out , then there is good chance your stringers are in good shape. Never a guarantee however!
I have seen boats where they have been used hard, left tied to a buoy or dock with much water sloshing in the bilge for long periods of time. Not good!
Simply my humble opinion, others may argue otherwise.
I have kept mine out of water on a lift in season and in heated storage in winter, but always ensured she is tight and dry after
every use. Stringers are awesome as a result.

Agreed here. With excellent care and maintenance over the life of the boat, the stringers should be good. But that seems to be pretty rare, to find a boat this old that has a single owner who can verify that proper care of the boat was taken for the past 25+ years. I would count on the vast majority of 80s boats needing new stringers, if it hasn't already been done.

SquamInboards
12-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Agreed here. With excellent care and maintenance over the life of the boat, the stringers should be good. But that seems to be pretty rare, to find a boat this old that has a single owner who can verify that proper care of the boat was taken for the past 25+ years. I would count on the vast majority of 80s boats needing new stringers, if it hasn't already been done.

I agree and I might even go a step further to say, if the owner says the stringers have been done, I'd like to know a lot more, like an invoice from a professional or many photos of the process. Because all stringer replacements are not equal. There have been numerous documented jobs on this forum that have done things right, but even among those there is great variation. Some (probably none here) have decided on half-measures to "get by" and you want to be sure you're not inheriting one of those.

My own boat is an '89 and has spent its whole life in the water 6+ months a year continuously. It's ALWAYS covered, though, and the stringers are surprisingly good. That said, they're not perfect and of course they will need a complete replacement at some point.

One test I wish you could do more easily, is to put a boat on stands as follows: one boat stand under each corner of the transom and blocks under the keel in one place near the bow (just behind where the curve of the bow flattens on the keel). Then you can grab the bow on the side at the gunwale and shake up and down to see how much the boat flexes. A brand new boat will not flex - almost at all. A rotten boat, you can move easily 6" up and down at that point; it's scary. An older boat with good stringers (dry when you drill into them, strong motor mounts, solid floor) you can still twist a few inches up and down. Imagine what that's like for the hull as you hit wakes at speed. This was easy for me to do at the marina, with access to a marine forklift and boat stands... not really a backyard test. But very interesting nonetheless.

Straitcountry86
12-03-2015, 07:16 PM
I agree and I might even go a step further to say, if the owner says the stringers have been done, I'd like to know a lot more, like an invoice from a professional or many photos of the process. Because all stringer replacements are not equal. There have been numerous documented jobs on this forum that have done things right, but even among those there is great variation. Some (probably none here) have decided on half-measures to "get by" and you want to be sure you're not inheriting one of those.

My own boat is an '89 and has spent its whole life in the water 6+ months a year continuously. It's ALWAYS covered, though, and the stringers are surprisingly good. That said, they're not perfect and of course they will need a complete replacement at some point.

One test I wish you could do more easily, is to put a boat on stands as follows: one boat stand under each corner of the transom and blocks under the keel in one place near the bow (just behind where the curve of the bow flattens on the keel). Then you can grab the bow on the side at the gunwale and shake up and down to see how much the boat flexes. A brand new boat will not flex - almost at all. A rotten boat, you can move easily 6" up and down at that point; it's scary. An older boat with good stringers (dry when you drill into them, strong motor mounts, solid floor) you can still twist a few inches up and down. Imagine what that's like for the hull as you hit wakes at speed. This was easy for me to do at the marina, with access to a marine forklift and boat stands... not really a backyard test. But very interesting nonetheless.

When I bought by old boat (85 comp,) the previous owner provided me with receipts showing that the stringers were redone 10 years prior at a cost of about $6k. I looked up the shop and it seemed reputable. Still, I could never really convince myself that the stringers were 100% in good shape, because as you said, you just never know on a huge job like that. It kept bugging me to the point where I just decided to sell the boat and get an all composite model. I now have a 93 Sunsport. To me it just makes more sense to get a 93+ and never have to worry about stringers. There's enough things to worry about on an old boat as it is.

SquamInboards
12-04-2015, 02:39 PM
To me it just makes more sense to get a 93+ and never have to worry about stringers. There's enough things to worry about on an old boat as it is.

I agree, my next boat will no doubt be all composite.

trayson
12-09-2015, 02:22 PM
To me it just makes more sense to get a 93+ and never have to worry about stringers.

You mean a 92+

My 92 Sunsport was the first year of all Composite.

Straitcountry86
12-10-2015, 03:35 AM
You mean a 92+

My 92 Sunsport was the first year of all Composite.

Well, yeah in 92 they started coming out with composite stringers/floors, but some boats still had wood. A curved windshield would indicate composite. 93 was the first year when all Supra boats were composite.