PDA

View Full Version : 88 Ts6m engine replacement

RickV
11-28-2015, 12:19 AM
I have a 88 Ts6m and would like to replace with a newer lighter engine. Preferably EFI with aluminum block /heads/ exhaust or convert to Electric. Any suggestions.

crystal waters
11-29-2015, 11:33 AM
I have a 88 Ts6m and would like to replace with a newer lighter engine. Preferably EFI with aluminum block /heads/ exhaust or convert to Electric. Any suggestions.

I am surprised no one has chimed in to offer you their advice yet.
That said I Would start by contacting SkiDim and discuss your thoughts with them.
They have no doubt dealt with this issue numerous times , sell the new models of PCM engines and transmissions, and could point you in the right direction.

docdrs
11-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Convert to electric?????? What are you going to use the boat for? Fishing? Run time would be the issue let alone power to weight issues. Plus with all that battery weight the boat would be a like a lead sinker, actually it would be , straight to the bottom, and the environmental issues, a whole other can o worms. Jmo

why reinvent the wheel , drop a 400 hp 400ci sbc or raptor engine in it. They are fuel efficient and all the power you need

RickV
11-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Convert to electric?????? What are you going to use the boat for? Fishing? Run time would be the issue let alone power to weight issues. Plus with all that battery weight the boat would be a like a lead sinker, actually it would be , straight to the bottom, and the environmental issues, a whole other can o worms. Jmo

why reinvent the wheel , drop a 400 hp 400ci sbc or raptor engine in it. They are fuel efficient and all the power you need

We run sets in the morning early and electric would be nice and quiet, run time might be an issue, possible cost, it was just a possible option. It has been done check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbTAb

RickV
11-29-2015, 08:14 PM
I'll give them a call. Thanks

chris young
11-30-2015, 09:57 AM
I looked into the electric option quickly a while back, as I rarely run more than 2 sets a day on my boat. In this case there are some pretty good advantages; quiet, charges while it's sitting at the dock, no more transporting gas, and the weight would be about the same as long as you didn't want longer runtimes. Nautique made a prototype a year or two ago, and it seemed to work pretty well. What I found when I did my reading was that to do it right, it would cost a fortune. The Nautique had 2 motors and those things don't come cheap. There was a short thread on an electric car conversion forum on this same issue, it would take me a while to find it, but the bottom line was you would need a lot of batteries to get more than a couple of sets per charge, so in that case weight would definitely be an issue. Personally I think an all aluminum custom built motor with good mufflers and and FEA exhaust would work out much better except for the refueling issues. I don't really see EFI as all that necessary I like the simplicity of a good carbed motor myself, but that's another debate.

RickV
11-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks that helps a lot, I really would like to try the electric motor for all the points you made and one more no more winterizing. I think it's out of my reach realistically. Going to start looking at aluminum engines.

Hagman
11-30-2015, 07:59 PM
There are a few questions you should ask yourself before making any modifications to a supra comp these are great ski boats right straight from the factory. First on my list would be how much money am I willing to spend the second should be how much time I'm willing to spend. I'm speaking from experience aluminum GT 40 heads and manifolds look cool will wake the motor up just a little bit but in the end you will not notice much of an improvement over a well tuned stock 351. I'm speaking from experience of all of the modifications I've done to my boat over the years I would say having the motor balanced was my best dollars spent. I think if you want to make the boat lighter you're better off leaving someone on the dock, ski with less fuel In the tank, or maybe carrying a smaller cooler.That being said I hope you go forward with your plans and modifications. And please post your progress.

chris young
12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I found the thread I was referencing above. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/ski-boat-conversioni-47386.html

Basically fuggetaboutit :).

I don't know the details about how Nautique got it done, but it is proof that something doesn't add up in the thread above and it is doable.

There's a thread going on on Ballofspray right now about the feasibility of doing a total redo on an early 90s hull to bring it as close to a modern boat including full re power and ZO.

Personally, every time I think about doing something similar with my boat, I come back to the fact that the basic hull just doesn't compare with a modern Mastercraft or Nautique. I like the GT40p heads idea and FAE but after that, I think it's a lot of time and money for very little gain.

I know a guy who builds racing motors for Cascar (IIRC) and he charges I think 17000 for a motor. He really knows what he's doing and if I ever wanted to go all crazy on a re power he's the guy I'd be calling. Personally, though there's a lot to consider when you start down that road, and when all is said and done, a really nice boat can be had for less than 30000, unless your goal is to have something that no one else has, and you can't really put a price on that.

I've always wanted to build a modern ski hull in the style of one of the '60s era wood runabouts, in which case every little extravagance is warranted.

Something like this for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxPhjcJeno

Sorry for going a bit off topic

foxriverat
12-01-2015, 06:28 PM
There is a guy on ski it again selling a low hour gt40 engine if you wanted to go that route. I love mine in my 96 supra ts6m comp http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Parts_Engine&postid=34998

crystal waters
12-01-2015, 08:02 PM
GT -40 is a great engine. Give it some serious consideration.

RickV
12-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for going off topic, Riva Aquarama Lamborghini, what a machine, veryyyyyyyyyy impressive. I have a rear main leaking and a cracked head. I fixed the head with JB-Weld and it is holding. It is cracked next to the plug and water was leaking out, I don't know how long it will last. The Gt-40 that foxriverat mentioned looks pretty good. I am checking into it. My boat performs great,and the wakes are good, we run on 1/4 tank with 3 people most of the time. I don't really want right hand rotation and I think the GT-40 is and I would also need the transmission. Will see what he says.

SquamInboards
12-03-2015, 12:26 PM
I swapped in a GT-40 engine into my '89 about 5 years ago, it's been fantastic. It was an awesome difference right away, and it was an easy swap. The exhaust is a different size (skidim sells the reducers) and we had to add a fuel return line back to the tank. We also had to raise up the base of the engine cover (we just rebuilt the bottom half to add height).

As far as rotation, I think you may be ok. The 1.23:1 transmission in '89-up reverses the engine's rotation to make for a RH prop but LH (as viewed from the REAR) engine rotation. I'm guessing you have the 1:1 transmission? So, if you have a 1:1 and an LH prop, you'd be ok except of course you'll need a new prop anyway.

On the off-topic side of things, I'd like to get my hands on a Nautique Paragon. Rather than post a bunch of images, just look at the google image search results (https://www.google.com/search?q=nautique+paragon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt2uuFjcDJAhVKNiYKHVXADXcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1704&bih=979). That's pretty much perfect for me, like the late 60's Resorters with a fiberglass hull that looks nice, combined with classic wood decking and accents everywhere. For me, that's about perfect.

chris young
12-04-2015, 09:52 AM
That's what I'm talking about! I didn't know Nautique had done this. For me though I would like to go another step and use the hull only, chop it a foot or so above the waterline and build out the boat in wood. (Barrel backed if the lines would work) Not sure if I'll ever do this, but if I can get a good doner boat I've got the shop to do it in so, who knows. As much as I love my Rider, it's not the right hull to do this with. I'm used to skiing behind both a Nautique 196 and a 200 and the wake from my Rider just doesn't stack up.

crystal waters
12-04-2015, 07:49 PM
The wake of a 196 or a 200 is no comparison to that of a Rider.
To be fair you need to compare those against a comp ts6m.

Hagman
12-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Oh be careful Chris with your drastic changes and modification ideas.:) A few years back a new member posted a project he had done to a otherwise dead comp. He completely transformed it into a woody. He caught flack from some for the Purest in our forum got mad and left the site. Haven't heard from him cents. I thought he done a great job. Turned out to be one cool looking boat. Maybe someone here can find picture of it and repost it. I watched the YouTube video about the Nautique electric boat. I was impressed except for the part about the boat could make it through four seats on the charge that's not really very far.

RickV
12-04-2015, 10:40 PM
The Paragon is one beautiful boat, perfect for that sunset cruise around the lake. I remember when it came out but I have not seen one on the water yet. A nice combination of old and new it works for me. Thanks for the info on the GT-40 very helpful.

SquamInboards
12-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Oh be careful Chris with your drastic changes and modification ideas.:) A few years back a new member posted a project he had done to a otherwise dead comp. He completely transformed it into a woody. He caught flack from some for the Purest in our forum got mad and left the site. Haven't heard from him cents. I thought he done a great job. Turned out to be one cool looking boat. Maybe someone here can find picture of it and repost it. I watched the YouTube video about the Nautique electric boat. I was impressed except for the part about the boat could make it through four seats on the charge that's not really very far.

I know of one Supra Comp-turned-woody and it was for sale here in NH a few years back. I may have screengrabbed a few pictures, it was so amazing. At least I liked it. I wanted to see it in person, but he sold it before I had time. I'll post pics if I can dig them up.

chris young
12-07-2015, 10:39 AM
A few years back a new member posted a project he had done to a otherwise dead comp. He completely transformed it into a woody. He caught flack from some for the Purest in our forum got mad and left the site. Haven't heard from him cents.

That's too bad, I know some people are "it must be exactly original" in the restoration world (boats, cars whatever) and I can respect that when there are only a few left and it's an important piece of history. It would be a travesty for example to drop a brand new fuel injected motor in to an Auburn or some such iconic rarity, but I think you could do what ever you wanted with a Model for example. Our boats are Model A's. (well, more like mid '80s Camero LOL) IMHO

I'd love to see the photos of that Comp though.

Keno
12-07-2015, 09:20 PM
That's too bad, I know some people are "it must be exactly original" in the restoration world (boats, cars whatever) and I can respect that when there are only a few left and it's an important piece of history. It would be a travesty for example to drop a brand new fuel injected motor in to an Auburn or some such iconic rarity, but I think you could do what ever you wanted with a Model for example. Our boats are Model A's. (well, more like mid '80s Camero LOL) IMHO

I'd love to see the photos of that Comp though.

Well here are 4 pictures of the Supra Woody which caused so much commotion a number of years ago.

I seem to remember the guy not being made to feel very welcomed by a few people , sold the boat and disappeared, but I saved the pictures which I think were from the Craigslist ad he had a link to.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Keno
12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Do a search for Supra Woody on here and you'll come up with a few different threads about it, but no pictures.

Luckily for some of you, somebody saved them though.

Jetlink
12-08-2015, 12:16 AM
I seem to remember the guy not being made to feel very welcomed by a few people , sold the boat and disappeared, but I saved the pictures which I think were from the Craigslist ad he had a link to.

It wasn't that he was made to feel unwelcomed here, he came here all proud and was looking for a ton of praise an accolades and what he got didn't quite measure up to his expectations. There were a ton of us that gave him props for the job and in fact tossed up a few other boats that had undergone similar work and even one boat that was built from scratch basically.

Hagman
12-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Thanks Keno I knew someone here would have saved some pictures of that gorgeous ride. I can't imagine the amount of time that fellow must've spent on that project.

chris young
12-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Now that makes me want to carry through with my own plans, he did it pretty much exactly how I pictured it. Much much nicer than the Nautique.

Cusefan78
12-10-2015, 09:17 AM
That woody is amazing. Why would anyone give him Crap for building that. Is it original, no but you can tell the guy out a ton of love and money into it. Let me guess haugy didn't like it and have the guy a hard time.

chris young
12-10-2015, 02:13 PM
It wasn't haugy, https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10332-SUPRA-WOODY-fun-project

Sadly, it blew up real fast

Keno
12-10-2015, 07:56 PM
After seeing the phone number for Scott who was the builder of the Woody, I gave him a call and he's going to send me pictures and maybe also a video of the boat.

Since it seems that there is definite interest in this boat and how he built it, maybe he'll come on the site and could provide a wealth of information about how he made an absolutely gorgeous not exactly original Supra.

When I get the pics, I'll talk to him and start a new thread with the stuff he sends, unless he wants to do it himself which would be the best thing. Unless of course he's in touch with the new owner who may not want it getting all this attention.

KenO

Cusefan78
12-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I would totally be into seeing what went into making that boat.
After seeing the phone number for Scott who was the builder of the Woody, I gave him a call and he's going to send me pictures and maybe also a video of the boat.

Since it seems that there is definite interest in this boat and how he built it, maybe he'll come on the site and could provide a wealth of information about how he made an absolutely gorgeous not exactly original Supra.

When I get the pics, I'll talk to him and start a new thread with the stuff he sends, unless he wants to do it himself which would be the best thing. Unless of course he's in touch with the new owner who may not want it getting all this attention.

KenO

Cusefan78
12-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Chris that's shocking. Nothing against him but I remember him going after treyson. Im guessing the missing posts were pretty bad.
It wasn't haugy, https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10332-SUPRA-WOODY-fun-project

Sadly, it blew up real fast

jkess929
05-30-2022, 10:55 PM

Well here are 4 pictures of the Supra Woody which caused so much commotion a number of years ago.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Hi.

I purchased this Supra Woody a couple days ago from a family that was having an estate sale for their late father. I have been trying to track down some information on this boat and came across your thread from 2015. Wondering what information is available on whom built this boat and it's value based on the unique work that went into it. Your pics are identical to what I purchased. Thanks.

Jeff

Ken-o
06-01-2022, 04:17 PM
Hi.

I purchased this Supra Woody a couple days ago from a family that was having an estate sale for their late father. I have been trying to track down some information on this boat and came across your thread from 2015. Wondering what information is available on whom built this boat and it's value based on the unique work that went into it. Your pics are identical to what I purchased. Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

You probably already figured out that the boat stirred up some people around this website.

I'm the guy who posted the 4 pictures

I always wondered where the boat ended up after Scott, the guy who built it, sold it. It sounded like it was headed out west somewhere from it's Eastern NH home.

So............ where did it end up?

I figure there are some people who would really like to see some more pictures of the boat if you can post some, along with some who wouldn't.

I don't think you'll find any more info on this site than what you've already found

Mischief IV
06-03-2022, 06:01 PM
Haha, I remember this boat. We've come full circle.

I was "ngavdba" in the other thread where it was discussed and I am the moron he speaks about and sadly, that hasn't changed. What has changed is, I guess all the other 30 members on that thread got addicted to FB or either sold their Supra or moved on, but I am still a moron with my strong opinions along with a folder with all my original paperwork and a 39 year old boat that I am still in love with on a forum that is on life support.

I don't remember the entire conversation but just read some of the quotes that I wrote that still remain highlighted to this day. He was super quick to jump on the fact that I wasn't in love with it and saw nothing Supra about it except for two graphics on the rear even though I respected the quality and workmanship. It was a very fair review and he called me out on it immediately and harshly. What I did not understand mostly was his price tag and we're talking 10 years ago, not post-pandemic sky is the limit BS like what we are seeing today. He posted some tiny small pics and could not even see it really from a CL ad and then he got so defensive about it, it escalated quickly and became just another thread for the archives as he turned tail and ran while I stood my ground. Wasn't my finest hour but oh well, I'm still living the Supra lifestyle daily.

It's great that this boat has a new home and someone to love it and hopefully you can post up some pics (use a third party website) and be more willing to share than he was.
Good luck!