PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder

H2Oman
07-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Yesterday my depth finder began working intermittently. When above 20mph it wouldn't show depth. Slower speeds and when stopped it worked.

The wires on the unit are on securely. Does anyone know where the depth finder is mounted on this boat? I am guessing it may be coming loose from the hull.

Diggs
07-16-2007, 04:37 PM
i think it is on the paddlewheel....

dndsam
07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
If it is a through hull transducer, it is probably mounted around the engine compartment, usually toward the rear of the engine. If the transducer has come loose you will have to remount it to get a good reading. I would contact whoever's head unit it is Hummingbird, Lowerance or ?? for the mounting adhesives. If the transducer is not loose, it is probably mounted where there is a lot of turbulence or is out of the water when on plane. Look to remount the transducer away from the tracking fins or strakes that could be creating the turbulence or further back towards the stern of the boat.

H2Oman
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
dndsam - Thanks, I will check. Normally it works fine. Sunday was the first time it did this.

H2Oman
07-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Well, I found it. It is near the transmition right before the raw water intake. As this is a v-drive it is definitely in the water when I am running. The mount is solid with no visible problems, gaps or looseness. The wires all look fine and are secure on both ends. The raw water intake hose was pressed against the side so I moved it to sit above. Maybe that will work. I will test it on the water next time I am out and see what it does.

indyeng24
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Our 2001 Santera had the same problem. The dealer showed my father-in-law where to add water to it. That fixed the problem for awhile, but apparently there was a leak because it continued as a problem on and off.

santera2001
07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Our 2001 Santera had the same problem. The dealer showed my father-in-law where to add water to it. That fixed the problem for awhile, but apparently there was a leak because it continued as a problem on and off.

what do you mean by adding water to it?

did you happen to trade your santera into aqua marine in anderson IN?

indyeng24
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Actually we did. Red Santera with a wakeboard rack on it?

Not sure on the details with the depth finder. Are you still having problems with it? If so, I would give Ron a call. He should be able to help you out with it.

indyeng24
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Actually we did. Red Santera with a wakeboard tower on it?

Not sure on the details with the depth finder. Are you still having problems with it? If so, I would give Ron a call. He should be able to help you out with it.

santera2001
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
yea it is red and black with a tower, racks and mirror. love the santera it is a great boat!!

like you said somtimes it works fine. we will give him a call and see what he says.

what did you trade it in on??

finman
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM

what do you mean by adding water to it?

did you happen to trade your santera into aqua marine in anderson IN?

the transducer will unscrew from its housing.
Where the transducer goes in the housing there needs to be water, or antifreeze. no air.
unscrew it and see if it looks almost empty.

Fin

indyeng24
07-25-2007, 06:04 PM
We got bit by the boat show bug. We traded it in on an 07 Launch 22 SSV. We loved the Santera too, the only reason we traded was for the wakes that the Launch puts out.

I can tell you that you got a great boat. My father-in-law always took great care of it. His boats are his babies now that his girls are grown up. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Where do you boat? Maybe we'll see you out sometime.

santera2001
07-26-2007, 11:04 AM
we live in huntington.

we have a cottage on a little lake north of columbia city called loon lake. once in a while we go to huntington resevoir.

did you use the santera for surfing? if so do you have any suggestion on weight and placment of the weight.

finman
thanks for the advice will try that this weekend.

indyeng24
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
No, we never did any surfing behind it. We have tried a couple times with the launch and have had luck with bags full on the left rear and in the center. Right rear bag about half full.

Don't know if that will carry over to the santera. What are you using for ballast? Just curious.

santera2001
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
as of right now just people. i bought a 680lb fat sac yesterday from ebay. going to try that in the left rear of the boat. might need to add a little weight up front to even it out. as of right now with about 700 lbs of people weight wake is not bad.

propwash03
02-09-2008, 08:18 AM
My depth finder didn't work soon after I bought my boat, the dealer said that the wire plugs that are all over the boat are waterproof, but they don't always seem to actually be waterproof. The dealer told me to find the "blue wire" going to the transducer, cut them on either side of the plug and solder them together, I did that and it works perfect. My transducer i actually a triducer, because it had the paddlewheel for speed, the depth finder sonar, and it also does water temp as well.

Ed G
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Wouldn't it be way cool if the Skiers Choice Marketing folks knew of someone who would be willing to come to the reunions and help people get started wakesurfing?